Author Topic: Towing 4wheels down  (Read 3813 times)

bcmchale

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Towing 4wheels down
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »
I have a 92 PU Xcab 4x4, 5speed, with 33's and an aussie locker in the rear. I would like to set it up for towing 4wheels down. I plan to tow it with a 06 Dakota (4.7 v8, 6speed).

I have not purchased a tow bar yet, but was just wondering if anyone has any input on how they mounted the brackets for a tow bar on their toy. Also any advice on flat towing with this setup would be appreciated.

Thanks

bcmchale [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Towing 4wheels down
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:14:46 PM »
One other thing: The truck still has a stock front bumper, I've been considering a aftermarket bumper w/ winch mount. Are there any out there that anyone knows would work well with tow bar use?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
just  mount the  towbar  to the end of the frame, solid is GOOD

why not just drive the yota :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »
One other thing: The truck still has a stock front bumper, I've been considering a aftermarket bumper w/ winch mount. Are there any out there that anyone knows would work well with tow bar use?
most bumpers  like the ones  Marlin sells,  have  recovery  points  on each side  they "could"  be used  as   hinge points for a towbar
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
dont use the holes in the gussets above the front spring hangers, i almost lost my truck on the interstate cuz of those.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »
dont use the holes in the gussets above the front spring hangers, i almost lost my truck on the interstate cuz of those.
you're joking right?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:56:53 PM »
nope, not at all, it was a couple yrs ago, and i was in a hurry, but never again, i drive my junk to moab or get trailored, no more tow bars for me

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »
I wouldn't just bolt something to the end of the frame it is kinda thin there, what I did was to add a piece of L-channel to the end of the frame like a crossmember and then attached my tow mounts to that.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
i would beef up the area if you plan to do it a lot...

having said that, i flat towed my xcab with an f350... i just stuck the bolts through the threaded holes in the front crossmember (the threaded holes were actually stripped, and the bolt i put through just slid through) and put a locknut on the back. didnt have a problem...

is the dakota heavy enough to not get pushed around by your toyota? i drove through a pretty twisty canyon, and the 3000 # toyota tried to push around 9k+ # f350.. if i hadnt gone slow when it was really tight, im sure there could have been very bad results

as a general rule, you want to make sure your tow vehicle is a lot heavier than the vehicle being towed
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »

as a general rule, you want to make sure your tow vehicle is a lot heavier than the vehicle being towed

That is a very old general rule and doesn't really apply to today's standards.  There are plenty of tow vehicles that weigh less than the vehicles they tow.  I see goosnecks with two rigs on them all of the time that are being pulled behind F250 SuperDutys.  The most important issues is brakes.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:48:42 PM »
i had dakota with the 4.7L and auto that pulled a 6,000 pound camping trailor pretty easily.  i am sure the stick would make it even better.  the toyota only ways in at about 4000 pounds max.  way below the max load of the dakota.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
In caliy the CHP says  when your towed veh =40% of the towing veh wight you have to have brakes on the towed veh.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »

That is a very old general rule and doesn't really apply to today's standards.  There are plenty of tow vehicles that weigh less than the vehicles they tow.  I see goosnecks with two rigs on them all of the time that are being pulled behind F250 SuperDutys.  The most important issues is brakes.

There is a HUGE difference between pulling a trailer and flat towing a truck. As a general rule when flat towing you strap the steering wheel to keep the towed vehicle from roaming behind you or turning opposite of you while backing. In doing this the truck being towed acts like a big plow when being towed thus pushing the tow vehicle in tight turns at speeds. as long as you take turns slowly it should not be a problem. I to have been in a f-250 pulling a 3500lb jeep and felt in being pushed around corners. That being said, brakes are definitely important and you need to have enough to stop the truck and towed vehicle!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:32:47 PM »
Are you nuts!!? When flat towing you do not strap the steering wheel, in fact you want it open and free. The towing vehicle forces the towed vehicle to track straight behind you. It will not wander or turn the oposite direction. When I towed with my motor home it had almost 8 feet of overhang on the rear, if I turned right the vehicle I was flat towing would have to turn left before turning right since my ass end would swing around. Yes the only issue is backing and that can be delt with by a helper to hold the steering wheel, but don't even think of trying to back around a corner.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

8Snaces

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 396
  • Member since Apr '06
  • The krawler in H.H. over New Years.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
Y cant u back around a corner? Its pretty easy actually. I have done it couple times in an apt complex. My buddy sat in his toyota and i backed up around a corner and into a parking space. I towed it with my S-10! I hauled his truck out to go wheel and brought it back. It depends on the driver and the setup.
1st gen yota truck. 37x12.5x15. 5spd dual cases, chevy springs in rear, toyota rears springs in front. Long bed....the list never ends..
Dont try to shift into 6th when u've only got a 5spd! Rubberside down doesnt always mean rite side up!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
i think rocksurfer meant that you cant back it up without a helper in the towed vehicle.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
There is a HUGE difference between pulling a trailer and flat towing a truck. As a general rule when flat towing you strap the steering wheel to keep the towed vehicle from roaming behind you or turning opposite of you while backing. In doing this the truck being towed acts like a big plow when being towed thus pushing the tow vehicle in tight turns at speeds. as long as you take turns slowly it should not be a problem. I to have been in a f-250 pulling a 3500lb jeep and felt in being pushed around corners. That being said, brakes are definitely important and you need to have enough to stop the truck and towed vehicle!
you never  NEVER  NEVER  strap the wheel or lock  the  wheel  in a flat towed vehicle,  no damned  wonder it fealt like it was pushing you sideways  :slap: