Author Topic: Motor? swap, rebuild????  (Read 1169 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Motor? swap, rebuild????
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »
I know it's been covered in other posts, but I would like some input on what ya'll think!  I got a 87 p/u turbo model!  Well, it's been sitting for 3 years, and the last owners tried to start it up last year and nothing!  Well, I got the bed off and drained the gas tank, and got fresh fuel in it!  I put some pb blaster into the cylinders and hooked up a new battery.  It fired only a couple of hits and that was it!  The EFI is a whole new world to me!  I'm used to carb'd motors, very simple in diagnosing a starting problem!  Well, I'm realizing after reading many posts on various sites that alot of people are having the same problem as me on trying to start it up!  The whole cold start, afm, tps, temp sensor, blah, blah, blah!  But no solutions on what they did to fix it!  I'm going to try to get a FSM, but I don't get out to the valley much!  And Ebay doesn't have any, and I've looked for online resources, but nothing for my vehicle! 
The truck has 202,000 miles and the motor is leaking oil pretty good!  I've got a feeling that it has some hard miles on it!  The truck used to have a utility box on it! 

So, here is my ?'s!! 
~Do I just start replacing everything that can prevent me from starting the motor, ie. afm, tps etc?
~If it's cheaper to replace the motor with a complete 22re, what is universal between the 22re/22rte?  ie. wiring harness, intake manifold, steering, alt, ingiter and etc!
~If I swap out the motor, will I have to swap out the dash too?  I know I'll have to swap out the fuel pump, afm, and injectors.  The tps should be the same!
~How much do ya think I'll be looking at $$ wise, doing the rebuild vs. just doing the swap?  If I do the swap, I want a fresh motor not a used one with unknown miles and/or problems! 
~I'm pobably forgetting something~  I'll post later if I do!

The reason is, I bought the truck with a rebuild in mind, but after seeing what turbo's cost to rebuild or a reman, I'm thinking it would be in my best interest to go 22re!  I really don't care about the turbo.  I would rather not have it!  I'm not about how fast I can go, it's about enjoying the ride there!  I'm at the point that I want to do this right!  I don't want to half ass this truck!  I love simplicity.  I'm new at toyota's and your honest input would be helpful.  With the money from my nissan and taxes I'll be getting back I should have a couple thousand to easily play with!  I really want to get this going as soon as I can!  I want to go for a drive in the mountains really bad! 

Thank you!

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
Re: Motor? swap, rebuild????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
I would find a reputable rebuid shop and go that route.  Thats what I did with my 22R.  Just my  :twocents: