Author Topic: electrical?  (Read 4512 times)

toy87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -408
  • Male Posts: 175
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
electrical?
« on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:10:43 PM »
Not to sure what is causing my problem, but my truck is not really reliable driving around town anymore. The truck starts and runs fine most of the time, but whenever i turn something electrical on, the motor wants to die. For example I have an electric fan and I start the truck and turn turn the fan on, the idle drops way down and almost dies with a little foot action i can keep it running but it has died on me before. Also most of the time while driving the stereo will cut out for a second if I press the brake or turn the head lights on or use anything electrical that was not allready on. I had the alternator and battery checked out by both autozone and kragen and they both say they are good. Other than the little drop in power everytime I turn something electrical on there is also a sputter problem, it will run fine for a while then randomly the truck will act like it is starving for fuel and start jerking when this happens the tack goes crazy as well. This is probably not the fuel pump because i direct wired the fuel pump and it still happened. The electrical problem seems consistent until I have everything on including the heater then there is no problem at all it runs great. Even if it is in the middle of stuttering I put the heater on full blast and it stops it every time. Guys and girls I am REALLY confused on this one, I have been trying to figure this out for months. Please shed some light on this, i fear my only release is gonna be selling it and i really don't want to.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
Re: electrical?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:47:32 AM »
Check all your grounds thuroughly. Especially your battery terminals and block/chassis ground. Sounds like your electical system is spending most it's effort trying to get through resistance to ground.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:52:58 AM »
Directly behind the engine there is a ground strap going from the engine to the firewall, if it becomes loose, disconnected or breaks it will cause electrical havoc.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:05:47 AM »
mite want to check your idle air speed contorler. maybe it gummed up.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:47:58 AM »
get an EWD from the dealer and go to ground points and power source and highlight everything that is affected, then see what points the troubled areas have in common.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 09:37:36 AM »
mite want to check your idle air speed contorler. maybe it gummed up.

Hey BLF, it's an 87 runner, therefore it's EFI hahaha you oldschool carburetor boys ain't got nothing on me hahahahaha :ack:

Let me say what hasn't been said, check your ground wires. Also check the connections at the alternator...
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:08:04 PM »
Hey BLF, it's an 87 runner, therefore it's EFI hahaha you oldschool carburetor boys ain't got nothing on me hahahahaha :ack:

Let me say what hasn't been said, check your ground wires. Also check the connections at the alternator...

I am well aware it's EFI, I said idle air speed controller. not idle stop solenoid.

no teck master biskets for you today!

you young kids that can't read really make me  :hahaha:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:07:41 PM »
I am well aware it's EFI, I said idle air speed controller. not idle stop solenoid.

no teck master biskets for you today!

you young kids that can't read really make me :hahaha:

So what is that, the air bypass adjustment screw on the throttle body? Or the (hidden) air bypass screw on the air flow meter?

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:08:18 PM »
So what is that, the air bypass adjustment screw on the throttle body? Or the (hidden) air bypass screw on the air flow meter?

the one I'm talking about is called the "air valve" by my pos Hayens manual. it seams to be telling me that it will not have any influence when hot. 

that what happens when you work on lots o diff. vehs. never get to be an "expert" in any one. butt was just trying to trow some ideas
out to help the guy.

on most of what I run into the "idle air control" is used by the puter to control idle speed even when hot.
was thinking that it maybe stuck as I've seen it happen on other vehs.

I.E. turn on the A/C and it dies,  crank the steering over hard and it dies. ect.

looks like toy does not use it when hot sooooo   never mind.

vaj70cruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Apr '05
  • marlin ultimate crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:30:38 AM »
adjusting the speed cable and shorten the air at throttle body should done it...
Fj40 V8 efi ss350 marlin ultimate crawler 290:1

toy87 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -408
  • Male Posts: 175
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2005, 09:01:55 PM »
thanks for the sudjestions guys, i think i got it figured out. The day i asked i put new battery wires and adjusted the valves, made a big difference but still off, however the following day i connected the ground wire on the back of the head and replaced the alternator charge wire and magic its been almost flawless since. Its nice to have it running well again, its been a long time, thanks for all the help.
EVIL TURTLES LOVE ME

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2005, 12:15:04 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »
Directly behind the engine there is a ground strap going from the engine to the firewall, if it becomes loose, disconnected or breaks it will cause electrical havoc.
Wot he said "Been there Done that" :yupyup:

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:43:42 PM »
Not to sure what is causing my problem, but my truck is not really reliable driving around town anymore. The truck starts and runs fine most of the time, but whenever i turn something electrical on, the motor wants to die. For example I have an electric fan and I start the truck and turn turn the fan on, the idle drops way down and almost dies with a little foot action i can keep it running but it has died on me before. Also most of the time while driving the stereo will cut out for a second if I press the brake or turn the head lights on or use anything electrical that was not allready on. I had the alternator and battery checked out by both autozone and kragen and they both say they are good. Other than the little drop in power everytime I turn something electrical on there is also a sputter problem, it will run fine for a while then randomly the truck will act like it is starving for fuel and start jerking when this happens the tack goes crazy as well. This is probably not the fuel pump because i direct wired the fuel pump and it still happened. The electrical problem seems consistent until I have everything on including the heater then there is no problem at all it runs great. Even if it is in the middle of stuttering I put the heater on full blast and it stops it every time. Guys and girls I am REALLY confused on this one, I have been trying to figure this out for months. Please shed some light on this, i fear my only release is gonna be selling it and i really don't want to.
1985 22RE EFI YOTA 4RUNNER, 31's, Open Diff's

Everybody knows there ain't no such thing as Leftover Crack

PLEASE GOD PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!!!!!!!

skunkyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »
didnt mean to do that above.

Great info. I have had very similar to idnetical issues with my 85 EFI 4runner. It was only happening to me at night when I am running my lights, tunes and I assuming all my other electrical. Friday I narrowed it down to my grounds after running new cable to the battery, starter celenoid, and my glow amp.

Before that I had changed my terminals from old to new painted ones, wich sucked cause I didnt get enough conductivity. Then I switched to brass marine terminals, removed that now I ran all new wires off the battery.

Was gonna check grounds but couldnt find where it went under my engine. I did this in the rain in the street cause I live in an apartment with no garage and I was in a hurry to see my freinds band, BORDERWARS open for TESTAMENT.

Now I know what to do!!!!!!!
 thanks, great posts
1985 22RE EFI YOTA 4RUNNER, 31's, Open Diff's

Everybody knows there ain't no such thing as Leftover Crack

PLEASE GOD PROTECT ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!!!!!!!