Author Topic: 85 22re cracked block or leaking head gasket?  (Read 16023 times)

RI4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -248
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Nov '05
  • "dude you didnt buy a truck, you bought a project"
    • View Profile
85 22re cracked block or leaking head gasket?
« on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:45:11 PM »
hey everyone i just picked up an 85 4runner with a 22re and i think its got coolant coming out the exhaust. it starts and runs perfect but is spewing out whats seems to be water or coolant from the exhaust. i checked the plugs and they were all basically perfect. it doesn't seem like its using any coolant though i haven't run it for any more than 10 or so minutes due to the fact my temp gauge is messed up and i don't know if its warming up correctly with the new thermostat i put in (I'm gonna be fixing the temp gage tomorrow anyways). i read through my manual and cant find anything about this. any ideas?

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: 85 22re cracked block or leaking head gasket?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »
Put your hand over the tailpipe for a second or two while its running.  If your hand smells extremely sweet then its burning antifreeze.  If not its just this time of year, my truck will blow white steem for about 20 minutes beings Im running 2 1/4 and 2 1/2" tubing it takes awhile to get it all warm. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

8622r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:59:56 AM »
my 86 had a leaking head gasket on to the manifold

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:22:17 AM »
could be a headgasket, cracked block, or nothing @ all...... check to see if your oil or coolant is contaminated with thte other one.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RI4runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:34:11 AM »
ok so how much is it for a new headgasket or worst case a new motor due to a cracked block. i sort of need to drive the piece in like a week cus the car i drive is getting sold.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:20:20 PM »
Sounds like you just need to drive it for a couple hours!  And when you get back look for:

1. Oil in water
2. Water in oil
3. Gray sludge under oil filler cap
4. If any moisture still coming out of tailpipe
5. How hot is the cooling system
  A.  Too hot will mean cooling problems or loss of coolant
  B.  Too cool your thermo is stuck open

I might be missing something else!  Troubleshoot it and let us know, then we can really help ya!

My tailpipe spews water like a faucet, due to condensation like WT said.  I only work 3 miles from home so my truck never warms up!  I spend more time warming up the truck than drive time!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

miks85yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -210
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2005, 03:05:27 PM »
the aluminum head will warp and crack before the block will, id start by checkin ur head gasket

Riddett

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 35
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Not Many Rocks, but we got mud in Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »
Most of the time the headgaskets go out. The blocks usually throw a rod out of the side.
First thing to check is for water/oil mix. Change the oil. Run a compression check, should be 150-180
no less than a couple between cylinders blah blah blah. No know the deal.

If the compression is good and you still think it is a gasket re-run the comp test with all the plugs out to rule
out a cylinder-to-cylinder gasket leak.

If compression is good! Hopefully torque all the intake manifold bolts. Sometimes a warped intake manifold can
suck up coolant into the combustion chamber.

Lastly, My personal trick if you have to replace the gasket. Remover the head, manifolds, and wiring harness together (unplug from the computer) and tie the timing chain up to the ceiling. This saves removing the TC cover and several
extra hours of work. Always put the motor at TDC so you know where you started from.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
Yup, listen to WT, cheese and Riddet.

Just because you notice moisture from the exhaust doesn't mean it is from the engine's cooling system. It could just be condensation based on ambient temperature, and before the exhaust system becomes super heated.

Checking for oil in the coolant would be a good thing to do, also check if any hoses seem to be swelling or becoming soft, that would indicate that oil is attacking the rubber.

But, I do know that a water line does run along the side of the head on the exhaust side, and if it was cracked, then the coolant could directly enter the exhaust ports, and you would not see any water in the engine oil, and vice versa.

Get it back together and get your temp gauge working. Start it up and drive it around for a bit and keep an eye on the temp gauge.

A quick and typical indicator of a blown headgasket would be air bubbling from your overfill tank. That would indicate that your coolant system has way more than 14psi, pressure from each compression and power strokes entering the cooling system, and it would be holding your radiator cap open even when the engine is turned off.

WT has the #1 idea: If the moisture from the exhaust pipe smells anything like coolant, then I would be worried.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

toylife

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 139
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:00:39 PM »
i ha the same problem it was a cracked head.no biggie a easy fix. now i have a new motor it has a problem like this.the temp guage reads normal but when you cut the truck off it sounds like a coffie pot perkilateing the thermastat is without the center i cut it out do to it sticking. i have checked the head gasket not bad. no oil in water no water in oil and sometimes it will puff white smoke when you drive it long distances then startit up about 10 mins later. but if you let it sit for 20 mins it won't. but it doesn't always do it. any ideas? :headscratch: i think that one og=f the head bolts might be a little loose and i need to retorque them all again. i guess any help
only in a yota

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »
BigMike, you said that if your driven for a while and you stop and there is water bubbling inside your overflow tank than you have a bad head gasket? This sounds kinda scary for me cause mine does it everytime i kill it after an hour or more drive and has done it for the past 2 years. i have no water in oil or oil in water and frequently check the compression and they are all within 10 psi of each other.

to go ahead and rule out these, there is a new 2 stage thermostat, water pump, radiator, hoses, and i still have to add about a galon of water every 2 weeks. sorry its not my thread but i came across some interesting information that i was unaware of.

RI4runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:37:42 PM »
ok so im a dummy, i had a yota mechanic take a look at it and it had a fried cap and rotor because the coil wire wasn't on all the way and the smell was bad gas in the tank. it basically runs perfect. now if i could only figure out how to fix my tailgate id be in business. anyone ever heard of the glass shattering in cold weather cus of the window heater?

thanks everyone for your help

miks85yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2005, 02:06:21 AM »
maybe im wrong, but a fried cap wouldnt make water bubble in the overflow tank, or make the exaust steam, no matter how bad the cap or wires are,cause u did say that it was bubblin every time u shut it off?  but maybe im rong, what do u guys think?

miks85yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2005, 02:08:54 AM »
i think maybe that toy mech. took u for a ride

RI4runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:29:35 AM »
a combination of things like cold weather, bad gas, a fried cap and rotor and my own inexperience led me to believe that i had much worse probelm on my hands than i really did. the toy mechanic is a family friend and i doubt he took me for a "ride" seeing as his advice and help was nothing but spot on.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »
BigMike, you said that if your driven for a while and you stop and there is water bubbling inside your overflow tank than you have a bad head gasket? This sounds kinda scary for me cause mine does it everytime i kill it after an hour or more drive and has done it for the past 2 years. i have no water in oil or oil in water and frequently check the compression and they are all within 10 psi of each other.

to go ahead and rule out these, there is a new 2 stage thermostat, water pump, radiator, hoses, and i still have to add about a galon of water every 2 weeks. sorry its not my thread but i came across some interesting information that i was unaware of.
i dont think you have anything to worry about
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »
i dont think you have anything to worry about
thank god, dont have time or patience to do a head gasket right now with the swap, thanks coyote

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2005, 10:05:45 PM »
just go get a cem test. should tell ya all ya need to know.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~