Author Topic: rears up front - problem  (Read 1514 times)

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
rears up front - problem
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:33:07 AM »
I went with the rears up front when I did the SAS on my '89. I used a 5 leaf pack consisting of - '81 main pack minus the overload , and 2 more cut toyota leaves under that. It rides like a cadillac and flexes great , BUT here's the problem : when I get on a steep hill it is severely unloading the weight off of the front end. It feels like it's about to ride a wheelie.

What can I do to fix this ?  I was thinking of making an anti-wrap leaf to go on top of the spring pack ( like on marlins rear springs). Has anyone else had this problem  :headscratch:  If so what have you done to correct it ?

I would like to keep these springs , but if I can't get it fixed I'm just gonna fork out the coins for some Marlin front springs. Any advice is greatly apreciated. Thanks. :thumbs:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
Re: rears up front - problem
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005, 12:43:34 PM »
If the unloading is due to the axle wrap, put the overload back in.   I'm essentially running your 5 pack + the overload, and haven’t experienced any axle wrap worth mentioning.   Overload will help you axle wrap and won’t limit your droop.  It could limit your compression, but for me, I had to bump stop my springs @ flat before the overload even becomes an issue. 

Be sure to report back on how you resolve this!

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2005, 10:15:44 PM »
Your not running enough spring to combat wrap.  I had the same issue and I have since changed a good bit of the setup to combat that issue.  I have a dropped hanger (maybe 1 1/2" over stock) and I am running shorter shackles so I have much less effective antisquat now.  Im also running a stiffer setup, I didnt lose any flaex by going stiffer but I gained a ton of control.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

bluetoy84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2005, 07:38:03 AM »
I think I'm gonna try to put an overload under the pack and make an anti wrap leaf to go on top. The '79 -'83 springs had two overload leafs , the regular one and a shorter one under that. I was thinking about using the shorter overload under my springs.  Maybe this will keep the springs from going negative too. I do need to stiffen up my springs a little . The front seems to be softer than the rear. I would rather have the front and rear about equal.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an anti-wrap leaf  :headscratch:

Thanks for the input  :biggthumpup:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2005, 05:04:05 PM »
you dont have the clamps on the leaves and the pack is fanning out rediculously  youll soon bust driveshaft parts or worse....

i busted a clamp and could pull my 14'' slip driveshaft apart if it flexed/fanned out just right. be carefull youll break some $$ stuff without the clamps.....
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto