Author Topic: turbo tunning  (Read 988 times)

mtntoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -84
  • Member since Jan '04
  • whats the worst that could happen
    • View Profile
turbo tunning
« on: Jun 30, 2005, 07:53:39 AM »
I have a 22rte and have had some problems tunning it.  If I run the stock distributor it doesn't accelerate worth a damn but once it gets up to speed it seems to be OK but not great the boost will be about 6lbs at 3000rpm and I can run good until I shift then it takes a lot for it to get in  nice power band(may not be the right term for what I am explaining).  This setup is with t he timing retarded about 6* If I advance it I get a knock and there is still not that much power.  I also have an LC Pro distributor that has centrifugal advance I thought maybe I could try it this helped the bottom end a lot.  But now with the advance comming in with the higher rpms the knock is still there but in a different spot in the rpm range.  If I give it just a little bit of throttle it will knock and as I step on it the knock goes away up until about 4200rpm with about 7lbs boost.  I have a mixture meter and its at the end of stoich and start of lean.  The water temp isn't getting hot at all but I don't know about egt.  Any ideas?

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: turbo tunning
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »
With turbos there could be any number of things that will cause a knocking or pinging and a loss of power. First know any time you here a pinging you should get off the gas! You can cause a lot of damage by letting it ping or detonate. Picture the piston coming up in the cylinder and before it gets all the way up a sledge hammer smashes it back down, but it must finish comming up cause the crankshaft is still  pushing it. This is what is happening when it is pinging. It can blow head gaskets, break ring lands on the pistons or worse.

Now that this has been said you can better understand why you should never here it detonate. Low octane fuel, lack of fuel supply, too much timing, no after cooler, overheating and too much boost all can cause this problem. This will also cause your engine to fight it's self to run and cause a loss of power.

I would start by using the best fuel you can buy and never stray from that. Start with about 5 PSI of boost until you can get it to work properly. Set your timing to factory specs and never less then 0* or more than 12*. Make sure you have good fuel delivery (fuel filter clear, good fuel pump, clean injectors, ect.) I would never run more than 7 PSI without a intercooler, the air temp will be so high it will cause it to pre-ignite. Also under higher boost it is harder for a spark to jump in the cylinder so the plug wires start to leak (ground out) under boost. This will show up like the engine shuts off under boost, but runs fine otherwise.

I may not have the answers you are looking for, but I have had lots of experience with turbos and high boost. I will leave the Toyota specific help to the people that know Toyota, This is just general advise.

Good luck,
Mark
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2005, 05:52:39 PM by Willy Mammoth »
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0