Author Topic: HELP! What is normal gear material for tranny break in !!  (Read 1219 times)

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
HELP! What is normal gear material for tranny break in !!
« on: Jun 07, 2005, 08:21:23 AM »
I've got an L52 tranny.  Rebuilt with Marlin rebuild kit about 1000 miles ago.  After 500 miles it started making this awful noise.  Drained the fluid and had a thumbnail full of gear material on the magnetic plug, also lots of material in the gear oil.  Both brass and shiny graphite.  No chunks.  Basically an insane amount of material.  The fluid looked like a metal dust pool.  Put new fluid into it, drove it 100 miles, drained, had a magnetic plug full of material.  New fluid again, 400 miles, again magnetic full of material.  Collectively I would say that about ½ ounce of material(dust) was taken out over the three fluid changes.

What is concerning to me was while the amount of material wasn’t alarming if it was after 30,000 miles.  But after only 1000, I figured I’d pull it out and see what was getting ready to go.

After tearing it completely apart..  nothing..  All bearing, blocker rings looked new (as well they should, they were replaced 1000 miles ago)  All gears, shafts look good.  Transmission gave no clue as to where all the material was coming from.  Which leads to the question of how much material is normal from a L52 toy tranny?  What am I missing?  I’ve physically inspected all parts of this tranny.  Everything looks good.

Anyone?    I’m stumped.

Oh.. and the required smileys.      :phone:     :help:    :help:    :crossed:

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

All_Set [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
How about Pictures?   :D

Anyone?  <is this thing on?>   :gap:

It's just way too much material coming out of the drain plug for the tranny to be as clean as it is. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation