Author Topic: led head light  (Read 3309 times)

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
led head light
« on: Jul 13, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
Any experience with trucklite 27450c led headlights?
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: led head light
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
Any experience with trucklite 27450c led headlights?

Pretty sure Helipilot puts those on every rig he owns. He loves them
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I saw these and want to find out more about them.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

WizardMaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »
I'm getting the feeling from what I see on the news that they may eventually make LED lights illegal for the road in the USA or people may be stopped and ticketed or warned about lights improperly aimed.  Why not, you can be ticketed for running your bright incandescent headlights  at incoming traffic. I've heard that doctor's visits and eye sight problems have skyrocketed since the LED light cam about. I can sympathize with those who have sensitive sight like I do and I'm sure even those who love the LED lights can agree that they are a different animal coming at you. And I do spose some might find it funny to run their light bar while driving down a road. I hope they do get their act together and tame this beast!!! Don't get me wrong. I love my LED flashlight................ :pirate:
Yours may go fast,but, mine can go anywhere and if you get in my way, I'll run over you with my big tires, the Taco Box way...... Nice and slowwwwwwww......

LinksN4Ds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Member since Jun '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »
TruckLite LED.  Good low beam, bad high beam.  After I installed them my blue-high beam indicator stopped working... it worked for a second or two, then went out.  I've verified the blue LED in the cluster is still functional and installed the correct direction.  Still need to finish trouble shooting why it doesn't work.  I had just installed the LEDs in the instrument cluster too, so not sure that the highlights were the cause.

swilson doesn't seem to enjoy the high beam too much?
Trapped in a house of glass, begging for stones!

sirdeuce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »
I understand the pains of approaching headlights, incandescent, projector or LED. I think the issue is more of heat than brightness. When a true white to blue color light is approaching it really causes discomfort, especially with someone that has really good night vision, by being an 'unnatural' light color. lights should be formulated to be closer to the spectrum of the sun, what our eyes are adapted to. I did't have issues in the olden days, even with high beams. The white and blue light create a stonger glare, refelect off water very well, hence the blindness in rain and snow.

I do love my LED flashlights too! Especially the headlamps. The evenness of the light is fantastic!

87ricerunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2019, 10:59:59 PM »
 :clap2:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
I'm getting the feeling from what I see on the news that they may eventually make LED lights illegal for the road in the USA or people may be stopped and ticketed or warned about lights improperly aimed.  Why not, you can be ticketed for running your bright incandescent headlights  at incoming traffic. I've heard that doctor's visits and eye sight problems have skyrocketed since the LED light cam about. I can sympathize with those who have sensitive sight like I do and I'm sure even those who love the LED lights can agree that they are a different animal coming at you. And I do spose some might find it funny to run their light bar while driving down a road. I hope they do get their act together and tame this beast!!! Don't get me wrong. I love my LED flashlight................ :pirate:

As much as I hate "There ought to be a law" type people, when it comes to after market LED headlights, and likely OEM headlights, I would like to see them banned.  It seems like there is only one setting everyone uses with them, Hi, because they can't see anything with them on low.  I never gad a problem driving at night with oncoming head lights, even w/the idiots who couldn't remember to switch off the high beams.  Since everyone, especially the diesel crowd went to aftermarket LED's, I had to buy a pair of night driving glasses, to keep the road rage in check, er to a minimum :greengrin:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »
Pretty sure Helipilot puts those on every rig he owns. He loves them

yeah. I've had them on my Tercel and have them on my 4runner. I have the old style that didn't have the heating elements on them, which is a real pain when driving in the snow, you have to stop every mile to clear the snow off them because they dont create enough heat to melt the snow off the lens. The current generation has solved this problem. They use very little power and you can leave your headlights on for a very long time without the engine running and without concerns for draining your battery.

As much as I hate "There ought to be a law" type people, when it comes to after market LED headlights, and likely OEM headlights, I would like to see them banned.  It seems like there is only one setting everyone uses with them, Hi, because they can't see anything with them on low.  I never gad a problem driving at night with oncoming head lights, even w/the idiots who couldn't remember to switch off the high beams.  Since everyone, especially the diesel crowd went to aftermarket LED's, I had to buy a pair of night driving glasses, to keep the road rage in check, er to a minimum :greengrin:

Snowtoy you will appreciate that the trucklite's (now owned by Rigid) are DOT approved and have a very crisp clean horizontal cut-off that will not blind oncoming traffic. I agree with you not only is it annoying to be blinded by idiots with non DOT approved LED's it is also pretty foolish to blind anyone driving nearly head-on to you at high speed.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2019, 02:38:24 PM by helipilot77 »
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

GraceScott

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2022, 07:06:39 PM »
Lol, if you don't like LED lights so much, let me ride along the track with a flashlight in my hand and independently direct the light depending on the direction ...xD

UnaSutherlands

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2022, 07:18:20 PM »
If I could only afford it

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,255
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2022, 12:34:58 AM »
I've been looking into some higher output headlights for my Corolla.  My eyes have definitely lost some night vision (rods).

The other night driving just on the local streets I noticed my night vision is poor.  Glare from oncoming vehicles blinds my vision and I would like way more light on the road.

Whatever options out there, I'm looking at these:  https://www.carid.com/2013-toyota-corolla-led-lights/lumen-led-g10-headlight-conversion-kit-1839790410.html

There is always the inconsiderate moron driver who drives with high beams on, blinding other drivers.

Over the years it seems the vehicles have much brighter lights from the factory for a reason.  I assume because pavement is so black it absorbs all colors of light.

I don't know about aftermarket lights that are OEM replacements that may not be legal.

Seeing better at night while driving on the freeway at cruise speeds is what I'm interested in.  Oncoming traffic on freeways, other than one-lane two-way roads, is not a problem for me.

Here's a good explanation of lights for driving at night:  https://projector-headlight-manufacturer.com/what-is-the-best-hid-color-for-night-driving/

It appears that light color at about 5000 Kelvin is optimum for night driving.

Gnarls. :usa:

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2022, 05:52:46 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2022, 04:46:06 AM »
I agree that lights are getting brighter and I would say that driving something with small reflector H4's such as an FJ80 is almost dangerous. You just cannot see past the glare from the other cars oncoming.
Uncle Chen's LED conversions are abhorrent, color temp is wrong, focal point is incorrect and are as effective as the proverbial candle in the wind.

LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

beatsclo

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2022, 04:20:30 AM »
LED headlights are generally better than the old incandescent ones because they are brighter and their lifespan is longer. The light is not so warm and cozy as the old ones, but if you like pragmatism more, LEDs are for you. I like the old ones better despite all their drawbacks. I like soft and warm yellow lights that are a little dusk all the time. These old Toyotas can exist only with the old headlights in my mind. However, I did add some LED interior lights from vont.com because I like it when the car’s salon is shining in different colors.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2022, 05:18:31 AM by beatsclo »