Author Topic: clutch will not bleed  (Read 4743 times)

4runner4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 291
  • Male Posts: 260
  • Member since Aug '08
  • lockers before light bars.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
clutch will not bleed
« on: Nov 14, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »
i have just installed my new 22re in my 87 4runner new clutch and all.  i installed a new slave cylinder as the original looked clapped out with an oem slave hooked up a new stainless steel braided line and no fluid coming out. so i went a purchased a new master at vato zone and nothing it will not come out but if we loosen the mounting bolts to the firewall it will start to leak out i have tried the original hard line and still nothing i am at a loss any ideas?
1983 Toyota pickup Sr5 6 inch shackle lift 33 super swampers 4:88 gears front and rear locked in the rear 22r high lift air tank tools and other junk(sold)
1987 4runner ifs 3 inch pro comp lift 33" TSL swampers and a cherry bomb exhaust(sold)
1987 4runner Sr5 current sas build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101170.new#new

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: clutch will not bleed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
this doesn't make sense, the mounting bolts should have nothing to do with the fluid. are you talking about loosening where stainless line connects to master?
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
i understand it has my mind boggled i need to see if i give more free play in the pedal it helps.
1983 Toyota pickup Sr5 6 inch shackle lift 33 super swampers 4:88 gears front and rear locked in the rear 22r high lift air tank tools and other junk(sold)
1987 4runner ifs 3 inch pro comp lift 33" TSL swampers and a cherry bomb exhaust(sold)

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
With it being a new clutch master as well, did you bench bleed it? Did you also readjust the clutch pedal adjustment rod when you installed the new clutch master?

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
i did bench bleed the master and had adjusted the rod to the exact same as the original which was working fine before i hydro locked the original motor.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »
have you bleed it at the slave?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
have you bleed it at the slave?

i can not even get it to drip at the slave. i thought maybe the line had blockage but i installed a new soft line and nothing so neither the hard or soft line work.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
so if you disconnect line from master it leaks from master, have you tried keeping line hooked to master but disconnect from slave?

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »
if i disconnect the line from the master it will not leak unless you loosen up the bolts that hold to the firewall it will leak its weird. if i unhook the slave line completely it will not drip unless its loose off the firewall. i have never seen or even heard of this i am going to bench bleed it again while it is installed and see if there is more air inside,

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
with line installed, do you have any pedal movement

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
yes very soft pedal.

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »
zero resistance

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
have you verified that the rod on the master is moving when you press down on pedal
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2016, 01:22:07 PM by ovrarok »

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
I have had them be really stubborn before.  Fill the master, leave the top off it and the fitting to the slave unhooked.  Fill the master with fluid.  Pump the pedal about 100 times. This gets a little bit of fluid to start down the line.

Get out of the vehicle, facing the passenger side while sitting in a camp chair. 

Sit there and watch it while drinking beer and listening to your favorite garage music.  Occasionally top off the master until you have fluid on your garage floor from the unhooked clutch line.  Then hook the line to the slave and crack the bleeder on the slave.  Drink another beer while waiting for the fluid to poor out the slave bleeder.  This may only take one half a beers worth of time.  When you get fluid out the slave bleeder, then you can finally bleed if for real.

This is what worked for me.  It did take an hour or so.  Basically gravity and time do the trick.

As an option you can suck on the slave end of the line like a straw but beer tastes better than brake fluid so I prefer the gravity method.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »
I have had them be really stubborn before.  Fill the master, leave the top off it and the fitting to the slave unhooked.  Fill the master with fluid.  Pump the pedal about 100 times. This gets a little bit of fluid to start down the line.

Get out of the vehicle, facing the passenger side while sitting in a camp chair. 

Sit there and watch it while drinking beer and listening to your favorite garage music.  Occasionally top off the master until you have fluid on your garage floor from the unhooked clutch line.  Then hook the line to the slave and crack the bleeder on the slave.  Drink another beer while waiting for the fluid to poor out the slave bleeder.  This may only take one half a beers worth of time.  When you get fluid out the slave bleeder, then you can finally bleed if for real.

This is what worked for me.  It did take an hour or so.  Basically gravity and time do the trick.

As an option you can suck on the slave end of the line like a straw but beer tastes better than brake fluid so I prefer the gravity method.

Very Well Put! I have had good luck with this as well. Although, there should not be any brake fluid coming from where the master mounts to the firewall, as the OP was describing.
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

4runner4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »

this was by far the greatest response i have ever received on this board. and you were correct 2 beers and wham she was leaking like me on my 5th beer. shes is all bled up nice and good. thank you everyone for the assistance.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »
Very Well Put! I have had good luck with this as well. Although, there should not be any brake fluid coming from where the master mounts to the firewall, as the OP was describing.

Sorry I missed that, 4 hours of sleep.  My wife is teaching Chinese kids English on the internet at 3:00AM and I get up and work on Toyotas in the dark...  You are correct it should not be leaking.  Keep an eye on that OP :).  If it continues to leak you will loose pedal.  If not then wheel on.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016, 11:52:36 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K