Author Topic: ExCabSwap onto a standard cab chassis?!  (Read 1731 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
ExCabSwap onto a standard cab chassis?!
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 03:00:18 AM »
Yup! I'm swapping an 89 extended cab onto my 93 standard cab truck!
I suppose the real question is "WHY?"
Well, I originally bought the truck a little over a year and a half ago because I knew that I wanted a short wheelbase. I also knew that Toyotas have an immense amount of support online for aftermarket modifications. I just didn't know HOW much lol...

A little more than a month after the greatest purchase of all time, I stumbled across this picture:

I was confused... but more than that, little did I know that would plant a seed for what was to follow!

I read extensively on Yotatech, Pirate4x4, and yes, here on the Marlin board :D for this elusive mod.

Best of both worlds.. 100.5" -ish wheelbase of the standard cab, yet the comfort and space of the extended cab!

It's like the unicorn no one wanted to accept was possible... Was it worth it? most said no.. some said that you could get the same result by shortening an extended cab, but a small % of people thought it was possible... theoretically that is...

It wasn't until after I watched this video that I was convinced that not only was it possible, but that I would someday do it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYjKhUEDUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYjKhUEDUY
With a little more research, there was talk that the Toyota in the original picture I had seen was actually made by Marlin! (Anyone care to confirm it?) Unfortunately, however, I never found his build thread...

But, in the last few weeks, I've accomplished quite a bit!

I stripped my cab of everything.

Pulled the cab and bed off.

Added the extended cab.

Re-wired my own harness back into the new cab and leveled (mostly) the new cab with 3" lift kit pucks.

Welded the rear cab mounts that I cut off of the donor cab frame.

Started welding the trans tunnel.

Working on getting the fuel tank to fit and fabricating a new fill spout pipe to clear the cab overhang, so that I can still use my bed with a relocated fuel door.

So much work! It'll be done within a few weeks.. well, driveable hopefully... Then I've gotta figure out how to go about the registration... because this WILL be my daily haha...

Eventually I'll get my 83 solid axle built... as for now, it's waiting for me to go through it completely...

Also have an 8274 I need to clean up.

Also have a front and rear bumper to build..
Sliders.
Rear leafs.
Yup... I'd say I've got quite a lot of fun waiting for me  :willynilly:

Anyway, I'm trying to post a bunch of threads posted, and I probably should have split this one up, but meh... I'll write more nonsense later... anyway, I'd like to get posts this York compressor adapter plate in the for sale section. I've spent quite a bit of time and money fabricating it, and I'd love to ship it out to someone in hopes that it helps them with their own build goal :D

Next is to figure out how to configure the stock A/C compressor as well as the York for those who desire to run both...

Anyway, hope this helps someone... If you have any input or suggestions, lemme know.  :twocents:

-pgragg
[/size]
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26778
  • Male Posts: 3,525
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: ExCabSwap onto a standard cab chassis?!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:30:10 AM »
looks good, I like the look of that red truck,i like how they modded rear of cab for front of rear wheel wells, looking forward to seeing this thing finished :thumbs: oh... and by the way  :welcome:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »
Sick idea for a build. I personally love the wheel base of the excabs and think it is superior to the 4runner and single cab wheelbase, but it all comes down to perspective I suppose. What part of WA are you in? I run a club so if you want to take that monster out when you are done hit me up.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
I can confirm, that Marlin did have a 3rd gen Extracab on a std cab frame at one point in time.  And the picture you posted, is the only picture I have ever seen of it.  I don't know of any build thread on it.  Were as if Marlin still has it, that is a question that they can only answer.  I have not seen it at the shop. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen