Author Topic: 3 Inch Lift...What else?  (Read 2982 times)

YOguyDa

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
3 Inch Lift...What else?
« on: Mar 10, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
I plan on a 3 inch suspension lift...Nothing fancy, just replace the stock worn out springs in the front and blocks in the rear. Its just a daily-driver/project/fishing/camping rig...And i was wondering, what else would i need to do, besides get new shocks? Would the drive shaft angle be a problem...etc?

And, what kind/length shocks would you guys recamend? Its an '81 pickup...And the shock holes in the front have been drilled out to 5/8 instead of the stock 1/2 inch. So, i cant exactly go off of what a manual or parts book says would work for my truck.

Thanks
'86 2wd now...

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: 3 Inch Lift...What else?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2005, 07:13:32 PM »
How much money you want to spend...Bilstein makes some of the best around, but you will pay about 70 a piece for them.  With that three inch lift you could easy run some 33 inch mud tires, need a little pursuasion of the fender well, but you would have a real nice driver/weekend warrior.  After that your first thought should be to lock up the rear.  After a good set of tires, nothing will give you more of a wheelin advantage than a locker. 
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2005, 07:58:01 PM »
Im on a limited budget...Graduated, 18, working construction/carpentry so i just started working again with the good weather....Going to be supporting my mom and sis here pretty soon, while mom looks for work. But anyways....lol, i was ganna say "wow, $140 for leaf springs..." Just re-read it... :smack: . lol.

I got a set of 33's last weekend on Chevy rally wheels, for 100 bucks. They're some off brand "triumph"?...But 2 are basically new and the other 2 probably have about 15-20k left on em. I really needed tires Bad and had to jump on it. Now im just trying to get them over the front hubs :-\\ ... But the back ones made the ride a WHOLE lot better.

How much would locking up the rear cost? I hear of people welding up....Are there any negatives?
'86 2wd now...

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 369
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:24:18 PM »
if by trying to fit them over the hubs, you mean the washers are holding it back that are under the small bolts that hold the asin hub on, just shave them down a little with a file. i had that problem with some newer sr5  rims on my 84.  yes there are some downsides to welding. welding means both tires will be spinning at the same rate all the time.  lots of people do it, i opted for a v6 3rd member off a trd, found one at a wrecker small modifications to fit my housing. and put a cable actuater on it. the set up was around 500$ but its sweet! a lock rite or aussie locker can be found for under 200$ and is way better than welding in my opinion. you get what you pay or dont pay for    :)   take care of your mom first, youve got a good truck (i assume its a yoda) to get you to lots of good camping and fishing spots already. you can find lots of different springs at a junkyard to give you lift also.  good luck,  fritz 

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2005, 09:27:04 PM »
just saw your signature, as you migh have found out, that truck will do amazing things stock. funny avitar!

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2005, 11:54:36 PM »
The hole in the center is too small to fit over the actual hub... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9236.0

Of Course its a yoda! Why would i drive something else? lol  :thumbs:

I have'nt completely tested its ability yet :( , since im still running bad/hard/cracked tires up front, front springs have no spring, and the shocks dont seem to help much since there isnt much to dampen...Just hit bumps like they're rocks. If i jump on my bumper, i cant get any spring out of em, id say they're already at their max. Plus, i just got it running fairly good. But, i definately enjoy going places my CRX could'nt go...(i sold it to buy a Yoda).

'86 2wd now...

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2005, 11:58:00 PM »
Does anyone know of a spring swap that would be relatively easy, and give me a lil lift (3in if possible)? Besides building up my own pack?....That would be possible, i just wouldnt know where to start....lol

Thanks guys
'86 2wd now...

toy94x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Feb '05
  • NKAWTG... NOBODY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2005, 12:21:15 AM »
I agree that a locker in the rear and the tires will make a huge difference. I've had my truck locked up for a year now and WOW, amazing how much better off road it is. Just threw some 33" Pro comp M/T's on last weekend and tested it out with those. Another huge improvement. The aussie locker can be picked up for around $200, and a lock right for not too much more. No complaints with my aussie in case you were wondering. Good luck on finding the right combo for the leaf pack. If you're trying to save $$$ you would be better off building your own pack if you can't come up with anyting else, even though you already mentioned avoiding that.
NKAWTG... NOBODY!!!

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2005, 01:27:58 AM »
Im completely open to building my own packs. I've always took the alternative route and done stuff myself, i like the feeling of accomplishment, rather than bolting something on and feeling the minor accomplishment of installing it...I just dont know where to start. Was kinda hoping someone had done the same already or had some advise/things to be sure of when seeking out donor leafs...And so on. All around advise. If it helps anyone, i just want a moderate 3 in lift, with a reasonable ride for daily driving...I won't expect too much(thats how feelings get hurt) lol.
'86 2wd now...

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2005, 01:33:46 AM »
put the rears up front with a few of the front springs and buy 3" lift rears you'll be fine. I don't know what to do about the rims besides habe a machine shop open them up :turtle:  :beerchug:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »
I found a guy with a 4" lift kit for $150.....Front and rear springs, with dual shock mounts for the front. All it needs is bushings for the front springs.

Besides the bushings, and new shocks, where is the fine line drawn for axle shims and brake lines?

A guy i know has a 3" suspension lift on his '82, and from what he said, he didnt have to mess with anything else, besides shocks.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, because i wouldnt want to buy this guys springs and end up having to go down a couple other roads buying new brake lines and what-not....And if i do, i wanna be prepared.

Thanks
'86 2wd now...

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:34:26 AM »
i dont run shims on my 84 with 3 1/2+ lift. break lines are a good thing though. you can mount the last hanger before the rubber line to the outside of the frame, but i would reccomend longerbraided stainless lines in place of the rubber ones. (one for rear too) marlin sells them, i got mine for around $70 from north west off road. they are designed for 4-7" lift and i am extremely happy with them, improved brake response, and i'm not worried about ripping an old rubber line on the trail.    :twocents:        :beerchug:

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2005, 05:52:55 PM »
i'm going to do a 3" front spring lift, and run a combination of a 1" block and 3" longer than stock shackle(total 2.5" of lift) in the rear.  it'll clear 33s with no problem at all,  could probably fit 35s with a little pounding/trimming.  i'd go with 35s but i also tow a fishing boat and it wouldn't work too well(combination of height and big power sucking tires while dragging a boat).

superlift makes a 3" drop drag link but i think you'd have to order it as most places only carry their 4" drag link.  i think it's a good idea to bring the steering geometry back to stock.

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:24:09 PM »
So, if i get a pair of back leafs, and stick em up front, and shakle/block the rear, get brake lines and a drop drag link....I'll be set? It sounds good in my head. And possibly next weekend i'll have some rear springs....But what do i do with em?

Do you have to take apart the spring packs and just add all the rear leafs to the front main leaf? Or should i mix and match? I wouldnt think the rears would just go up front by themselves...Aren't they longer? Anyone have examples of there packs? Where did everyone get their drop drag-link and brake lines, and how much?
Let me know...
Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2005, 09:14:26 PM by YOguyDa »
'86 2wd now...

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2005, 09:59:30 PM »
if you stick the rears upfront  without having crossover you will have to shorten  your draglink since they move the axle  forward almost 2" wich will limit your steering to the left. but you can make killer  right turns  :gap:
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2005, 10:37:42 AM »
yeah, and rears up front are really, really soft.  not a good thing if you don't have crossover steering.  my rule of thumb is, if i get to the point where i have to ditch my torque rod, i'll pony up for hysteer.  however, i'm still having plenty of fun with it still attached, as well as my swaybar :hammerhead:

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2005, 12:35:29 PM »
Im talking about using the rears just for the leaves...And swip swapping and adding leaves to the front, using the rears as donors. Wondering if anyone has done anything like that and their results.
'86 2wd now...

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2005, 01:00:20 PM »
dont know if it will give you are looking for since you are adding sagged springs to already sagged out springs.  I know  the only reason  my  rears up front dont sit totally flat is because there is a hefty add a leaf in them.  plus  another 3 leafs from  toyota rears   for a total of 6 leafs i think..  might be 7  and they are only slightly arched.  and i have alot cut off the front of my truck ( minimal. no inner fenders  barely any fenders   and core support)  .  you could give it a shot though
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !