Author Topic: keeping in contact in the back country? ( emergency contact)  (Read 3090 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
I would like to know how do you all keep in contact with civilization while on the trail?
 How can you get assistance in a medical emergency that is beyond your capabilities such as a heart attack or a bad roll over where medical assistance is needed ASAP and you are hours from gravel road let alone cell service? This has been bothering me alot. My dad had a heart attack a while back and I rushed him 5 min down the road to the hospital. Ever sense its been in my head, what if something like that happend on the trail? How can you be prepared/get help?  Thoughts?
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
911 on a cell phone usually works even when you don't have reception. and a emergency radio sends out a signal for help sos

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
and that's the chance we all take.

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
911 on a cell phone usually works even when you don't have reception. and a emergency radio sends out a signal for help sos
Thats darn good info to know, I never would have even thought to try my cell. I'm in the process of getting all are cb's 'tuned' up and a friend suggested the Spot so im looking into that. I understand that we take certain risks when we head up the mountain but there are always things we can do to better our odds.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
next time you don't have reception hit 911 send then end, you will see it will start to call out

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Get a HAM licence, a mobil mount or handheld VHF radio and forget about it.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
For dirt bike riding they make emergency gps onstar type deals..

Blaaaahhhhhhhh

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

This.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Bam

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -137
  • Member since Feb '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A lot of the newer gps units have an emergency SOS feature that will send out a signal. Just keep in mind the response times are not going to be very fast with any sort of contact. Nothing works better than being prepared for anything.
"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it..." - Daft Punk

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
this seems like a good idea, especially considering the range of a cb in  heavily wooded areas.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
A lot of the newer gps units have an emergency SOS feature that will send out a signal. Just keep in mind the response times are not going to be very fast with any sort of contact. Nothing works better than being prepared for anything.

I cant agree with this more. I volunteer with search and rescue, and the most important part of going out in the woods is going out prepared. The most common reasons for people needing us to respond are usually easily avoidable by preparing with adequate clothing(shelter), water and food. taking a map and compass is also key to not getting lost. So many people rely on electronic devices these days(cell phone/GPS) for navigation.  :thumbdown: These devices are completely worthless when the batteries run out. Usually people don't have a back-up plan.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I like to carry a couple pigeons...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
I like to carry a couple pigeons...
:psss:  There are better choices for emergency rations than pigeons   :yumyum:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
:psss:  There are better choices for emergency rations than pigeons   :yumyum:

I know, it takes so many to fill up an adult. Save the room in your cooler and bring a sat phone instead.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
A St. Bernard :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner