Author Topic: Why Am I Losing My ATF Fluid From This Little Hole!  (Read 940 times)

69sixpackbee

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Why Am I Losing My ATF Fluid From This Little Hole!
« on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
Hello, All!,

I just completely rebuilt the A340H in my '90 Toy 4x4 and I used quality components and exercised due diligence but I have a big problem now. I pre-filled the chain case to the desired level prior to driving it. I then proceeded to fill the main transmission through the dipstick to the corredt specified level. I do realize that the transfer shares the same fluid as the main trans and that the chain case is separate thus needing it's own level replenished. It works really good but in just a few minutes of driving the underside of my truck got a bath. The chain case filled up and started spewing ATF out of the small hole near the top on the LH side of the case. There are two holes adjacent to one another. One is in the chain case and the other is in the chain case cover. It was bellowing out of the hole in the chain case. I jacked it up with the wheels off of the ground to check it out. In neutral it is fine. I put it in H2 (normal) and with the engine at idle speed there was not much at all coming out but, as I increased engine speed and the wheel speed increased it started to really flow out of this hole. What is possibly the culprit causing the chain case to overfill? It is obviously a pressure-induced leak because of the rapidness of the fluid flow out of the hole. The only thing that comes to mind is a poor sealing transfer front drum, front support sealing rings or the cover on the B4 accumulator. And I am pretty certain that the front output shaft seals are put in opposing one another as makes the most logical sense. The FSM is pretty vague when it comes to seal placement. Does the transfer valve body get pressurized by the oil pump on the rear of the transfer case or is it being fed by the front pump in the trans?
Thanx for the help.

Bud Weaver

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Does it have a cap over that hole, if so it is the breather to allow for expansion. It will also blow off oil when you overfill it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

69sixpackbee [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hi, Rocksurfer,
No, the holes are adjacent to one another on the side of the transfer. The vents with the caps are on the top. One on the front next to the bellhousing and the other is at the top of the transfer.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2014, 07:28:48 AM by 69sixpackbee »