Author Topic: What is this small part called? (holds heater control arms behind dash together)  (Read 2914 times)

88yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Hey guys I finally got around to figuring out what is wrong with my heater controls....and now I'm in need of a small little part that holds the arms behind the heater control (arms are connected to the cables) onto a plastic piece and together (the heat temp. and air flow direction sliders). Attached is a picture of the part I need does anyone know the name of the little clip and if I could pick one up from Toyota or does someone have one OR how can I make something like that, that will allow easy movement. Thanks

Probably didn't need to the label the picture like I did, but just trying to make it easier and faster so I can get the inside of my truck back together...

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
is this the piece that the arms stick out through your dash and behind the dash the cables attach to it if so i have one out of a 93 30 to ur door
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

sandfantom

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
I ended up breaking this piece on my 88 and fixed it with a bolt,  2 oversized washers and a nyloc nut.  The levers are beveled on the insides and will center themselves  in the main plastic piece....also the hole in the main plastic piece is not round.  It matches the contour of the white pin you are going to be taking out,  so you need to get a bolt small enough to go into the non-round hole.

This is a real PITA to work on as there is no room really to get you hands in behind the controls.  I got mine to work but now have cable issues,  just need to get in there and lubricate them.

Good luck....have BEER handy!!!!!

sandfantom

88yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Yup, I planned on putting a bolt in but did not have any of the right size. So for now I just have a couple zip ties through. Until that stops working thats how its going to be haha

Thorn4run

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sorry to bring back an old post but its relevent to my problem. I did the bolt washer and nyloc nut thing to mine also. Worked great for about a year and now I have new issues. The cable from the hot/cold selector then runs out the firewall to the heat valve is a pain in the *** and will not move. Has any one replaced this line with something different say a choke cable? Also my vent controls (bi-level, heat, defrost) is all messed up. Put it on defrost and I still get air out the floor vents and almost none out of the defrosters. Does anyone know of or have a diagram of the heater cables and flaps they open and close?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Is it the cable, or the valve itself?  Cause I know of the valve freezing up has been an issue.  And people switching to the plastic one instead.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Thorn4run

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The cable. I finely bent the hot/cold lever and then put vise grips on both ends of the cable trying to get it to move and it’s a real PITA. The valve is fine. It opens and closes real easy. So I disconnected the hot/cold cable and moved the valve to the full open position and the heater for some reason or another only blows cool air.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The funny thing about the valve on the firewall is I have disconnected mine. It is frozen in the open position so I pulled the cable off and it still works just fine. When you slide the inside control to cold it still closed the flap and no more heat comes out. In fact I have A/C and it has no effect on that either. I imagine that the only thing the valve does is stop the flow of coolant into the heater core.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you