We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: New Product - Marlin Crawler Vehicle Speed Sensor  (Read 65018 times)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
hey Mike, I have a 93 pickup 4wd 22re manual and the stock vss went out on it. I also have a 92 2wd 22re manual. I pulled both of the vss's out and the 4wd has the small gear you are showing for the gear drive t-case and the 2wd has the one shown for the chain case. I pulled them each apart and swapped the pickups from one to the other and my speedo works now but reads really high (doing 55 while showing 100). My question is this it in the works for marlin to either produce a new pickup to attach to my gear, or a whole (factory-style) unit? I know that the dealer wants > $200 for a replacement unit. I'm wondering about just the portion in the red outline.
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2007, 09:03:59 PM by tonkatoy6497 »
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Well, basically, in the above picture you linked, if the gear teeth count are the same, then the same identical output will be generated by the above cable sender + Marlin VSS combo as the lower electric sender.

As far as I know, Toyota does not sell individual parts on the electric sender you have outlined. If I remember correctly, I think we used to sell brand new units for $220 :headscratch:

So instead of doing that, you could just get a cable sender from any 1979-1992 4cyl gear drive transfer case, purchase our new VSS, and use the two in combination (as pictured above) to reproduce the signal of your original electric sender.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

hunt4steve

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jul '03
  • AAAaaack!
    • View Profile
    • Hunt4Steve
Hey Mike, great info you have posted.

I have a '99 4Runner Limited that has the Chain drive Transfer case. My speedometer used to run off the ABS sensors, but since I have pulled all ABS sensors, I have no speedometer. My transfer case does have a cap in the tail houseing of the transfer case, where it appears a mechanical speedometer could go.

Am I reading your posts correctly; in that I will need to find a "mechanical speedometer sending unit" from any "V6 Chain Drive" transfer case, years 1988 - 2004?

I want to be sure before I put money down on a unit. Of course, I will then get your VSS unit to mate to the mechanical unit, and them massage the signal with a Dakota Digital or SuperLift speedometer tweaker.

Thanks for your help on this

Steve
Hunt4Steve@yahoo.com
http://www.hunt4steve.com

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Steve,

:welcome: :thumbs:

Yes, you are correct.

Could you please verify the size of the plugged hole on your transfer case? The chain drive mechanical cable sender in question fits a 34mm / 1.339" bore:

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Your 1985 cluster most likely has an electronic output on it, but I am not 100% sure. You would need to check the wiring for the '85 system. An electronic VSS is not for everyone.

Thanks for the help BIGMIKE!!

Late
Joe
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

hunt4steve

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '03
  • AAAaaack!
    • View Profile
    • Hunt4Steve
Well, good news. I measured my spare transfer case tail houseing plug for the "Vehicle Speed Sensor Assembly", and it measured to 1 11/32; which equates to 1.339" bore. I'm I also found in my FSM that my transfer case comes optional with this VSSA. So, tomorrow, I'm going to order one from the stealership and see what it looks like when it comes in. Then, I should be able to get the marlin adapter and get my speedo back to working order. :biggthumpup:

hunt4steve

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '03
  • AAAaaack!
    • View Profile
    • Hunt4Steve
Steve,

:welcome: :thumbs:

Yes, you are correct.

Could you please verify the size of the plugged hole on your transfer case? The chain drive mechanical cable sender in question fits a 34mm / 1.339" bore:

Well, I have purchased a speed sending unit, and it doesn't look like the one above, but like the gear unit below.
According to the Dealership, Part numbers: 33404-35010 = Sleeve Sub-Assy

is for a 1990 4Runner V6 Auto with Chain drive transfer case.
For this to work correctly, you will need to also get the Gear, Part number: 33482-39135, which is just the gear unit, and slides into the above sleeve. The picture above shows both the gear and the sleeve together.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a part number for the sleeve and gear shown above in Mikes Post.

Does anybody have a Toyota Part number for the Sleeve Assembly and Gear shown in Mike's Post above?

I just blew 50 bucks on the wrong part, of which I can't use.

supremesports

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Here’s my three questions :

1st : What is the total lenght of your VSS (between red lines)
2nd : Does the wire connector included or available (I don’t have a Toyota, so I don’t have the connector)
3rd : Do you have the part number or exact application of the factory speed sensor that connection goes down (The red circled part)

Thank You very very much

hunt4steve

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '03
  • AAAaaack!
    • View Profile
    • Hunt4Steve
Well, after digging through the junk yard, I found the CORRECT sensor for my '99 4Runner Limited.
Some background to this thread of mis-information:

I have a '99 4Runner Limited that uses the ABS sensors for its speed sensors. In the tail-shaft of the transfer case, I have a plug where a speed sensor would normally plug into. In looking for the correct speed sensor, I followed the information provided in this thread. Well, the informatin is incorrect. Not all V6, Chain drive transfer cases from '88 to '04, have the same speed sensor. This is absolutely incorrect.
so after posting many unanswered questions for follow up assistance, I went to the junk yard and found what I needed.

Needless to say, it appears nobody from Marlin is interested in actually getting the correct information out to the public.

I found the sensor I needed, the fat one, in a '98 4x4 Tacoma with an Automatic transmission. This sensor has the thick body like this one:

but, has the electronics already built into the speed sensor, instead of the mechanical output, as the one above shows.
There were other Tacos trannys there that did have the exact sensors as shown above. But, ya gotta look around the junk yard to find exactly what you need. I wouldn't expect any accurate information from this board on the sensors, you're gonna have to do the digging yourself. In fact, the mis-information has already cost me close to $50 bucks. I now have a brand new speed sensor and gear from the dealership I can't use.

Good luck.

4000GT

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
I am having trouble getting a reply to my email to marlin so I thought I would try here! Does anyone know if this will work on the R154 box from the MKIII JZA70 Supra? I am pretty sure its the right thread just looking for confirmation...

4000GT

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
PS it looks like the fat one in the pic above...

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
hunt4steve,

I do not understand what you are implying.

As far as I know, all Toyota Hilux, 4Runner, T100, and Tundra trucks, 2WD or 4WD, have access for either a 24mm (small bore / 1979-95 gear drive t/case) or a 34mm (large bore / 1985+ chain drive) with a 22x1.50 threaded mechanical drive speedometer sending unit.

With this 24mm or 34mm bore mechanical speedometer unit installed, our Marlin Crawler Vehicle Speed Sensor will directly thread onto the male 22x1.50 thread of the mechanical speedometer sender used.

What was it that you are trying to do?

Regards,
BigMike

4000GT

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Mike, will your speedo sensor screw on to the one pictured above? Thats the same as in the R154 box... i dont seem to be having any luck in the last 3 emails sent about it! 

hunt4steve

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '03
  • AAAaaack!
    • View Profile
    • Hunt4Steve
Well, lets see, I've asking some questions, as noted below, and you answered them. I go to the dealership, get the parts, and guess what, they are the wrong parts. No need to imply, I'm stating it; mis-information was supplied to me.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about who said what, its all listed above. The fact is, I took some advice and made a purchase based on that advice, and as I said before, I wasted 50 bucks.

Seems like if we want to make sure we get the right parts, we have to do the research ourselves.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
The fact is, I took some advice and made a purchase based on that advice, and as I said before, I wasted 50 bucks.

They won't give you your money back  :eek:  I find that kinda hard to believe, did you screw it up or something? 

I know we have a board member here who works parts at a toyota dealer, let me ask him about this..... be right back...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
I'm sorry Steve didn't get what he wanted the first time, but I don't see a reason to come unglued on Mike or Marlin.  They are providing FREE ADVICE and working with the knowledge and information they have gathered from their own experience.  It's not realistic to expect them to know every possible combination of parts that Toyota ever put together, and saying things like "I wouldn't expect any accurate information from this board" is just not constructive.  Certainly if I were BigMike I wouldn't be inspired to help anyone to had just joined my board, got some incomplete information (which he paid nothing for), then immediately started bashing me, my company, and my forum.

I dunno...

It's certainly up to the dealership whether they want to accept returns on special order parts or not.  Our policy is that we do not, and we expect customers to know what they need when they order it.  That said, commercial customers or known good guys get better treatment than people who make demands or act as though the world owes them something, and customers with a chip on their shoulder don't get to return special order parts.  Obviously, any returns we elect to accept must be resellable and in original packaging, and there is NO return on electrical parts.  Maybe if he explains the situation and asks politely, the dealership will allow Steve to return the part for a refund.

4000GT

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Hello?

Weak-Link

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

4000GT

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Living up to your reputation and namesake weaklink.

Im not making an international phone call just to find the answer to the question if their screw on sensor fits the fat type as posted above for the R154 box. Thats what email and the internet is for, even though its like pulling teeth getting an answer out of them. 

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
If anybody knows off the top of their head if the two are the same, it'd be reklund5.  You may try sending him a pm and see if he can help :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

hunt4steve

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '03
  • AAAaaack!
    • View Profile
    • Hunt4Steve
They won't give you your money back  :eek:  I find that kinda hard to believe, did you screw it up or something? 

I know we have a board member here who works parts at a toyota dealer, let me ask him about this..... be right back...

nope. This dealership here exemplifies the term "Stealership". They told me from the start it was a non-returnable item. I never used it, still in the plastic baggie with the Toyota numbering.

Anybody need a speedo? Sell it cheap

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Mike, will your speedo sensor screw on to the one pictured above? Thats the same as in the R154 box... i dont seem to be having any luck in the last 3 emails sent about it! 

if  the  r154  looks like the one above then YES  it will fit

our Marlin Crawler Vehicle Speed Sensor will directly thread onto the male 22x1.50 thread of the mechanical speedometer sender used.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
hunt4steve, from what you posted in your earlier posts, after you were told by BigMike what part you needed (granted, not by toyota part number) you went to the dealership, and they told you what part you needed, and you ordered it.

Well, I have purchased a speed sending unit, and it doesn't look like the one above, but like the gear unit below.
According to the Dealership, Part numbers: 33404-35010 = Sleeve Sub-Assy

is for a 1990 4Runner V6 Auto with Chain drive transfer case.
For this to work correctly, you will need to also get the Gear, Part number: 33482-39135, which is just the gear unit, and slides into the above sleeve. The picture above shows both the gear and the sleeve together.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a part number for the sleeve and gear shown above in Mikes Post.

Does anybody have a Toyota Part number for the Sleeve Assembly and Gear shown in Mike's Post above?

I just blew 50 bucks on the wrong part, of which I can't use.

That alone tells me that you are beating the wrong horse. Mike told you that you would need the 34mm sender, where to find one (year trucks), and the one that you ordered was the wrong one. If you have an arguement with anyone, it would be the parts manager at the dealership.

BigMike, thanks for the GOOD information you provide.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Flipper1938

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Will this sensor fit on a 1985 FJ60 mechanical speedometer drive?

How many pulses per revolution is this sensor?