Author Topic: 4.7 gearset snap ring issue  (Read 1456 times)

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
4.7 gearset snap ring issue
« on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
marlin crawler and trial gear both sell their 4.7 gear sets with the new bearings already pressed on the input gear and the counter gear. they both appear as being done and ready to install but both the snap rings are missing on them. you are suppose to take the old snap rings off and put them on the new gear set. also none of them come with paper instructions, now i know if you read the online instructions in depth, step by step it tells you to do so. but the issue i have it we have checked about 6 different rigs here in town all installed by different people and different time periods and they were all missing. and on one of them the input slightly slipped off the bearing allowing the gear to walk into the rear output causing some horrible sounds and pooping out high range while driving (which is originally how this became an issue). the reason on this thread is not to pregnant dog at either company but more of a heads up to people installing 4.7s or if you ever have your setup apart to make sure you put them on. there are Extremely easy to forget. i also don't understand why they don't come already installed with news ones in the first place. if someone has a good explanation i would like to know. i think they should either put them on all their kits or place a big yellow sticker that reminds you to not forget them. here are a few pics of my setup so people know what im talking about.

i didnt take a picture of the counter gear (the one right below) but that one was missing as well.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: 4.7 gearset snap ring issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
I know what your talking about. i just swapped mine. But good point.
If you see it, its for sale.

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
Re: 4.7 gearset snap ring issue
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
Ya my buddy that had the noise and popping out of high realized it and were giving him :pokinit: that he forgot them but then me and like 5 other guys checked for the bell of it and none of us had them either. I would bet that there are many others without them also. Our buddy Kyle found out he didn't have them either and has been rocking the cases for a few years now and hasn't had an issue. But his truck also only sees trails. Even if they weren't put in that doesn't mean you'll uave a problem but its just a heads up because I could be