Author Topic: Just got laid off...Anyone have any job leads?  (Read 3143 times)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just got laid off...Anyone have any job leads?
« on: Sep 27, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »
I've worked for my company for 2.5 years now and finally got laid off.  2 days after I started there, we were bought out by a large company that anounced they would eventually move everything to San Jose'.  Well, I've survived 4 rounds of layoffs and I get a month of severance since they will be closing the doors soon.  The biggest bummer is, I can't use the machine shop after hours anymore to make parts for my truck!  So now I'm looking for a job.....

I was a Toyota and Lexus mechanic for 11 years and most recently, I've been a r&d tech for a medical device company.  I'd like to stay in the medical device field, but am considering other options like being a commercial refrigeration tech or a elevator repair man. 

Anyone have any leads?  My wife and I are willing to move if the situation is right - our condo is ready to be put on the market anyway.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
Re: Just got laid off...Anyone have any job leads?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
Shoot man sorry to hear about that hope the Job hunting goes smooth.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
Well, it finally happened huh?  I remember you saying that you would be laid off, a long time ago. 

I did a quick search for your area, and the first thing that comes up is a Avon representative!!   :rofl2:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »
Coast Guard has been good to me you can always go part-time

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »
34 is too old, really, for military service.  If you were a Lexus mechanic, well, shoot, you have an easy money-maker right there if you are willing to commute or move a bit.  Yeah, it's not what you want to do, but it's what you have a lot of experience doing.  And last I checked, mechanics make enough to pay for rent ;)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2010, 06:30:43 AM »
And last I checked, mechanics make enough to pay for rent ;)

I do? so I can move out from under this bridge?  :think:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
Pletko, the military never wanted me once they found out I have flat feet.  I sound like a clydsdale trying to run and can't run too far without being in too much pain.  True, I do have a lot of Lexus experience and still have a lot of friends in the industry, but it doesn't look like they are hirring around my area.

Cheesemaker,  I don't know the first thing about selling Avon and really don't want to get into a sales position if I can avoid it.  BTW, my wife and I want to take a trip up to to Washington and Canada in the next couple years, so we'll have too look you up when we take a tour of the Tillamook factory.

Coastie, I have a freind that just got out of the coast guard and he really liked it.  In fact, they are paying for his schooling right now.  I'm not sure I could spend that much time on a boat without catching fish!

I just found out that AutoAnything.com is based out of San Diego and they are hirring.  It should be a shoe-in for someone with my background - and they pay better than being a mechanic.  I'm going to send of my resume to their HR dept. right now.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
not for part time....

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Fishing and the CG go's hand in hand,  19 years and counting looking for that retirement.  Economy sucks.....see it everyday....

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »
does the cg have a reserve program?

i am active duty air force, and we have some reservists that get active orders.... basically, they are reservists year round, that is their job...... reserves are pretty cush too, and they will take peopel that are older that active duty wont take... also, you can get a waiver for pretty much anything, if you schmooze the right people ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Pletko, the military never wanted me once they found out I have flat feet.  I sound like a clydsdale trying to run and can't run too far without being in too much pain.  True, I do have a lot of Lexus experience and still have a lot of friends in the industry, but it doesn't look like they are hirring around my area.
Well, I did say you'd have to move maybe...

Can't hurt to check out every last place in the So Cal area.  Good mechanics are insanely hard to find.  One other thing, though, is possibly joining the CG, Navy or AF as a mechanic(and only if they will 1000% guaranteed let you do something like that, that is...).  Nobody really gives a crap about your feet if you are going to be fixing engines and stuff all day long.

Note - don't join Army or Marines as you WILL be fixing trucks and stuff in Iraq while dodging bullets and IEDs. (AF might get you shipped over there too, but it would be in a fairly safe base)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Cheesemaker,  I don't know the first thing about selling Avon and really don't want to get into a sales position if I can avoid it.  BTW, my wife and I want to take a trip up to to Washington and Canada in the next couple years, so we'll have too look you up when we take a tour of the Tillamook factory.

:thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Pletko, your right, I did say I would be willing to move.  I need to get a hold of a couple friends of mine that went to work for 32nd Street Naval Station fixing vehicles for them.  It's local to San Diego and they get a good pension when they get out.  I hear it's awfully hard to get into that gig though.

Coastie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
jimbo74 the CG does offer a reserves.....good gig!   especially down south...Have some friends as recruiters  so let me know.....