Author Topic: Leaf Springs-I wanna see your rear flex and what you did to obtain it  (Read 15482 times)

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile

Always loved your truck OOPS. I like how simple yet effective it is. Do you have a build or any other specs on it?

Thank you, I built it for day trips and also week long trips, it works!!!

No build thread, it has been an ongoing project for about the last fifteen years. I did the SAS about thirteen years ago. Here are most of the specs:

90 Toyota Specifications

Rear end
•   TG housing
•   4:88 TG Cryoed and hardened-Bobby Long
•   ARB Air Locker
•   Solid spacer
•   Poly Performance 4340 Forged Chromoly Axles
•   Dave’z Off-road rear disc brake set-up

Front End
•   Stock Toyota housing
•   Hi-pinion with 4:88 gears
•   ARB Air Locker
•   30-Spline Longfields,axle shafts and hub gears

Transfer Cases, Transmission

•   Marlin Dual Ultimate With 4.70 Gears
•   FROR Twin Stick
•   R150F Stock Transmission
•   All-Pro T-case E-Brake
•   Bobby Long 4349 Chromoly Rear Output Shaft

Steering
•   Marlin six-hole arms
•   Trail-Gear Six-Shooter Knuckles
•   PSC Full-Hydro
•   PSC TC pump & reservoir
•   System cooler
•   Ram protection on housing

Tires
•   36 x 13.50 bias IROKS

Wheels
•   Ultra 50-15 x 10
•   Bead Locks by Champion

Tubework
•   All tubework designed and built by owner except interior roll cage
•   Roll cage built by Rock-Me-Bumpers

Owner design and built tubework

•   Flat Bed
•   Sliders
•   Front bumper
•   Half-doors (not tube)

Electrical

•   Dual Odyssey batteries
•   Painless Wiring dual battery set-up
•   140-amp GM alternator
•   All battery cables are 0 or 1 welding cable
•   Roundeyes hi-output headlights
•   Rock lights all four corners

Engine

•   Stock 3.0 V-6
•   Airbox modified to breath under windshield

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 11:21:32 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Wow, thanks for the info. I'm trying to make a capable rig that I can drive to and from the trails. All this info certainly helps. Is there any certain things you've had problems with?

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 06:21:25 AM by Gittinit »
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yup. Stock 4wd chevy shackle connected to a 6 inch "toyota" shackle. Run IFS bumpstops so it doesn't bang off the frame.

I'm not knocking the fact that you are using a double shackle as it seems to be working great for you, but you can get a square tube to have "extension" with a double shackle.  The springs really only function in compression.  This is why I'm never impressed with the droop in the suspension of a double shackle rig, it's expected.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I'm not knocking the fact that you are using a double shackle as it seems to be working great for you, but you can get a square tube to have "extension" with a double shackle.  The springs really only function in compression.  This is why I'm never impressed with the droop in the suspension of a double shackle rig, it's expected.

Actually my double shackle rarely comes into use. In the picture I posted, the double shackle has not even left the frame yet. It pretty much functions as a standard 6" shackle with the leaf springs. Then when the shackle and leafs are drooped out as far as they go, then the double shackle starts to work. Pretty much only comes into play when I am way flexed out. Otherwise it works just like a non-double shackle set up. So the flex you see in my picture is all leaf spring.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Actually my double shackle rarely comes into use. In the picture I posted, the double shackle has not even left the frame yet. It pretty much functions as a standard 6" shackle with the leaf springs. Then when the shackle and leafs are drooped out as far as they go, then the double shackle starts to work. Pretty much only comes into play when I am way flexed out. Otherwise it works just like a non-double shackle set up. So the flex you see in my picture is all leaf spring.

x2
when i had em on my 4runner they rarley left the frame. i think im gonna call dave wong and get a set of pivot blocks
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Male Posts: 970
  • Member since Oct '09
  • I KNOW A SWEENEY BRO!!!
    • View Profile
My truck wit 54" ford explorer leaf's in the rear!! They work great and i have not had any trouble wit them! Right now i know the rear shocks are stopping some of the flex but i have not redone them yet cause it seems to flex good enough now i don't need to redo them just yet!!
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!