Author Topic: Toyota sits, what would you do?  (Read 3486 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Toyota sits, what would you do?
« on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »
Just looking for opinions on what you'd do in my situation right now.

So as most know I aquired an 85' 4runner after I sold my built 82' PU. Since then it has been sitting in my garage for nearly a year. I have collected tons of parts, longfields, springs, gears, lockers, duals ect ect...

But as time goes by i'm starting to realize that it's going to be a VERY long time before I get a chance to finish it...IF I finish it at all
Family is definently taking up all free time right now but besides that with the way the economy is I don't see myself affording to build it anytime soon.

Now of course most will say "just hold on to it"  which i'd REALLY like to do... but right now we only have one vehicle and unless my wifes home with me which is about 1 maybe 2 days a week if i'm lucky then I have no means of transportation. Just a 4runner in pieces in the garage..

Eventually I feel this is going to catch up with me and i'm gonna have no other choice but to get rid of it to get a DD.

Whatcha think? 
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota sits, what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »
In your situation I'd say get rid of it and get a dd.  It's hard to justify keeping a project when your sick child is your project!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »
sorry to say, but a DD.
I like to Drive!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
Have another kid....

:hahaha:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
Is there any easy way to make the 4runner DDable and just save the parts away for a rainy day?
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »
Is there any easy way to make the 4runner DDable and just save the parts away for a rainy day?

yea this is what I thought of... I dunno how dependable it'll be but I could make it a DD.

I'm replacing the gears in the rearend right now and putting in a crush sleeve eliminator kit in it... so once that's done I can probably drive it...

The front end needs a rebuild and it needs a new window regulator...

all SMALL things... but w/ no time...
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »

X2
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
yep I would have to agree with the idea of making the 4 runner a DD and save your parts for later when you get some free time to finish it up.... someday you will have time and want to wheel and if you get rid of it you will be kicking yourself in the ass for it later and it may be much harder and more expensive to come up with all the parts and pieces at a later time.... just my thoughts!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »
Oh, I got the impression it was more of a project than that.  Yup, make it a dd for now and mod it later.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
exactly waht i was gonna say. :dunno: if it isnt too much work to make it work then try to scrape together the time to d it. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »
I have two little boys and it took me a long time to just do a lift and work the bugs out but I am so glad I did. I spend all the time I can with my boys but when I do get a little free time its nice to have a little project to wrench on. The look on my kids face when they saw the truck on the ground reminded me it was for them just as much as me. They are 2 and 4. Going for a ride in it is golden to them. Drive it, enjoy it, if you sell it you will miss it.
Precision guess work done here.

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
Its cheaper to keep her..........

:smack: that refers to divorce  :cheese:

Keep the runner for a DD  :beerchug:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »
I'm going with the group here.  Keep it and get it running and DD it.  So, the window doesn't roll up or down, no biggie!  Or whatever.  I've got a co-worker that has to bungee his driver door shut and hold the tranny into 2nd and 3rd gears.  He still drives the :pokinit: out of it.  Save up all the stuff you need to SAS and then get a wrenching party one weekend.  This is my process I'm going through right know.  When my truck wasn't running, I always needed a truck to haul stuff in, or my mother in law needed her car, so there I sat.  Now, I'm just slowly gathering things and when the time comes,  :flamer:  But until then, I just patiently wait. 

Another idea, is to find a little cheap rig that will get you and your daughter around in, a little 2wd pick/up or ?.  This is another little thing I'm kicking around, getting a 2wd toyota.  A person always needs a spare rig.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Given the economy you will lose your ass selling the stuff off.

I would look for a cheap late '80's early 90's Toyota or honda car to use as a DD.  This way you can wrench on the truck when you need a break from the family, and not have to worry about it being useable the next day.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
These are all excellent ideas. My rig is an 83. Yes it's a DD but, 529's, locker in the rear only make it trail and slightly rock ready. Ever since I lost my job from GM last july we've had to go bankruptcy court blah, blah blah. So the only thing I could do is surrender the one car back to the bank, the wifes car was paid off and so is the 83. Since then, I've rebuilt the motor, new L52HD from Marlin, and some other stuff. I would at a drop of a hat, I would drive it anywhere. Sooo, I lean towards making yours a "slightly built" DD. You'll love yourself in the morning instead of hating yourself. Thats my  :twocents:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org