Author Topic: Twin stick grind when taking off in 1st gear  (Read 2041 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Twin stick grind when taking off in 1st gear
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »
I just installed my Marlin dual case adapter in my 87 4runner with a W56B tranny and 83 front 87 rear t-cases. I have a twin stick shifter in the rear 87 t-case. I have cut down the low shift rail in the rear case and it shifts fine in low-low range, and it shifts fine in the rear 2wd/4wd shifter. The problem is when I am taking off in 1st gear in high range 2wd. When I take off I get a grind sound from the 2wd-4wd twin stick shifter. If I hold the shifter and take off the noise doesn't happen, but if I let go it makes the grind. It will only grind in 1st gear. I have checked the clearance between the body and the shifter and had the shifter out and can't see a problem. Has any one else ran into something like this? :help:
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: Twin stick grind when taking off in 1st gear
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
OK looking for any help on this. :inthedark: I am watching the 2wd-4wd stick and when I take off in 1st the stick flexes back, I hear the grind it moves forward and flexes again and I hear the grind again. Is it possible that the detent ball spring is not holding the shift rail in place and it is flexing under load? The shifter feels solid when I shift it. It clicks between each setting. Has anyone ever had this problem?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »
Give Marlin a call in the morning!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
Bought a new detent ball spring from Marlin and gonna try it out this weekend and see what happens. Also gonna check that the boot is not holding the shifter in a bind of any sort.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
Installed detent spring and grind is gone. Thanks to the guys at Marlin for the help on this one.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
This is interesting, i have the same problem, its not very loud, but i can watch the twin stick move forward and back when on and off the gas going down the road..
And i only have a single 4.7 marlin case
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
When I compared the stock detent spring to the Marlin one, the Marlin spring was around .25 inches longer than the stock. I think the extra length has really helped hold the shifter in place. The guys at Marlin also told me to check my t-case mounts. I think I may be buying some new ones soon, mine have over 200,000 on each of them.