Author Topic: 86-89 4runners  (Read 3442 times)

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
86-89 4runners
« on: Mar 25, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »
i just have a few question about the first gen ifs 4runners. First, do all of them have the gas tank under the passenger side that hangs down about 4 inches lower than the frame, it just seems like its really low my 91 truck has the tank in the same location but its tucked up higher more out of the way. It also seems like the efi engine is some what different then the one in my 91 truck they are both 4 cyls but it just looks like the intake manifold has  a few differences and it looks some of the vaccum lines are different along with some of the electical connections. I also noticed there is only one o2 sensor on the manifold and my truck has one before the cat and one after the cat. I was just trying to get some input on why this is, im guessing just because its older im not familiar with the older 22re's i guess. Also wanted to ask what would be involved in swapping a manual transmission into an 86 22re with a automatic any input on wiring, clutch pedal install and crossmember would be really helpful thanks a lot you guys.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: 86-89 4runners
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »
I know my dads 87 runners gas tank hangs down pretty low. I would assume the extra 02 sensor and difference in vacuum lines is just because of stricter emission standards. As for the swapping manual trans in place of a auto, I know its been done quite a few times on this board.

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »
I know my dads 87 runners gas tank hangs down pretty low. I would assume the extra 02 sensor and difference in vacuum lines is just because of stricter emission standards. As for the swapping manual trans in place of a auto, I know its been done quite a few times on this board.

thanks i guess i'll try lookin up that swap for a while

yotaismygame

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »
im not sure when toyota swtiched obd. but i would guess your 91 is a different obd then the early 4runners. But if they are those are the differences your seeing

jd77

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »
I and a freind just removed the auto from his 86 pickupand replaced it a w56.It was very easy the auto crossmember even worked.We took the whole slave cylinder,lines and master cylinder complete from a parts truck and didnt have to even bleed the line.The hardest part was drilling the three holes for the master cylinder and thats not hard.I belive we used the same drivelines even.

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
I and a freind just removed the auto from his 86 pickupand replaced it a w56.It was very easy the auto crossmember even worked.We took the whole slave cylinder,lines and master cylinder complete from a parts truck and didnt have to even bleed the line.The hardest part was drilling the three holes for the master cylinder and thats not hard.I belive we used the same drivelines even.

cool what about hooking up the reverse light, 4wd lamp and what about all the extra wiring im assuming im gonna have from the automatic

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
do a search for jkief86 he did the auto to manual swap
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »
You shouldn't have much wiring issues.  Find a wiring schematic, and it'll be a simple matter of splicing in some wires.  I haven't done the swap myself, so I don't need the details.  You'll have to do something about a nuetral start signal (something like that) so the truck will start, but once again, wiring diagram and a little research, and you'll be alright.  :thumbs:

As far as the slight differences, you'll see those in different year trucks.  Different wiring connecters, slightly different locations, etc.  I'd say the two O2 sensors are due to stricter emissions standards, as mentioned above.  Is one truck a CA emissions truck, and the other a federal emissions?  :dunno:  The fuel tank is going to hang lower than the trucks due to the lack of clearance above the tank.  The bed allows for more room, so the tank is moved up higher.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
There are two different gas tanks in first gen runners. The 17 gal tank hangs down about 4 inches below the frame, and the 14 gal tank hangs down about two inches. I guess the 17 gal is the SR5 tank but I'm not sure, I know my 87 is an SR5 with the 17.

The skid plate really adds to the rock anchor aspect, if you take it off it really cleans it up. The tanks are fairly durable, lots of guys dent the crap out of them until they lose capacity, apparently without issue.

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
stick an f150 tank under the "bed" where the spare tire is supposed to go. I have seen it done a few times. Its low pro and outta the way. I am wanting to do it and put a air tank in the gas tanks location.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

NCK4L [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »
stick an f150 tank under the "bed" where the spare tire is supposed to go. I have seen it done a few times. Its low pro and outta the way. I am wanting to do it and put a air tank in the gas tanks location.

thanks for the info on the tank. I was wondering what to do with it i cant stand how low that thing hangs down. Mines a deluxe too not a sr5 and it has the 17 gallon.