Author Topic: A Modern Parable (The Auto Industry)  (Read 2500 times)

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A Modern Parable (The Auto Industry)
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »
A Japanese company (Toyota ) and an American company (Ford Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race. On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile. The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering,while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people rowing.Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing. Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rowers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale-boosting programs and teamwork posters. The next year the Japanese won by two miles. Humiliated, the American management laid off one rower, halted development of a new canoe, sold all the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses. The next year, try as he might, the lone designated rower was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles,) so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India .

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages. TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US . The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads, collecting bonuses... and asking for a "bail-out"...

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: A Modern Parable (The Auto Industry)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:37:02 AM »
well written. and true...whats happening with ford and GM now?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

gmack192

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »
I SAY LET THE OIL COMPANIES BAIL OUT THE BIG 3     THEY'RE IN BED TOGETHER ANY WAY

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »
Ironically, Toyota is going to end up keeping NASCAR going  :think:

I read the other day that Ford employs more people outside the US than it does inside the US.  :lipsrsealed:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SteveB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
Did anyone hear about the big three getting chewed out at the bailout hearing?

After requesting billions of dollars in OUR bailout money, the speaker asked them if they had taken extravagant private company jets to get to the conference. He then asked if anyone had taken a commercial airline to raise their hand. No one did.
Quote from: Kyle - Veritas et Aequitas on November 27, 2008, 01:45:28 AM
RE: Pet Peave #37

SteveB: whats pet peave #1-36?
Kyle - Veritas et Aequitas:  1: Corn Nuts; 2-36: SteveB

My truck: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49474.0

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 3,110
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »
IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY

:werd:
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke
93 RunneR ...Build-up  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=85644.0

fortysixandtwo - I drove through Dunsmuir once I dont think anything there is "super nice"
Just kidding man. I guess there is, its your bed

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
ehhh yup pretty much sums everything up
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
i just sent this to my congressmen
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »
my personal opinion, the concept of a bailout makes some sense but congress has gone about it all wrong by sending money to just the top level. why not have the bailout pay for say, 10k in loans that each taxpayer owes (or money into their savings after that). paying off those loans would help the companies, which would end up helping all levels and the economy instead of just lining the pockets of the money rollers.

with the big 3, the executives screwed it all up for the longest time and need to be replaced. no other way to put it.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:53:35 PM »
We've been having dicussions about this at work a lot lately.  The big 3 are idiots about the way they run businesses.  Red's right, strip it down from the top down, tell the line workers who make $70 or more an hour that they'll be paid a reasonable wage, like the $40ish an hour toyota workers make.  That's still a great wage in this country.  Tell the execs they're all fired and will have to re-apply for their postions, which means they'll have to go through the same interviews most people have to. 

I love the ignorant mentality that you're supporting our country and being more patriotic by buying american vehicles over japanese.  The same people who make these statements don't seem to know, or aren't willing to admit, that the same vehicles they tout as being american and contributing to our economy are made somewhere else.  Is chevy still building their trucks in mexico or canada? 

About 15 years or so ago I thought the big 3 were finally starting to realize they should pay attention to how the japanese auto makers did business, but they're still stuck in their hard headed, sedentary ways.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gmack192

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2008, 05:52:16 AM »
I HAD A 79 FORD TRUCK  (MADE IN CANADA) I ALSO HAD A 05 TOYOTA TACOMA (MADE IN THE USofA) I TRADED THE TOYOTA FOR A SUBARU TRIBECA (MADE IN THE USofA)    THE SUBY IS FOR THE WIFE    SHE LET ME GET A 83 TOY   (LOVE IT)   I DO AGREE THE BIG 3 HAVE GONE ASTRAY   WHEN WE WERE LOOKING FOR A NEW CAR    WE TEST DROVE EVERY COMPARIBLE MODEL   FORD, GM, CHRYSLER, SATURN, EVEN CADILLAC COULD NOT COMPETE    DOLLAR WISE OR QUALITY             SAD :smack:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »
Chapter 11...reorganize, renegotiate reasonable contracts with the unions (comp wages, no job bank) and a new plan for the retiree healthcare. New management, new business model.

NO CAR CZAR!!! Congress can't run itself, why does anyone think they can run a car company?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
Congress can't run itself, why does anyone think they can run a car company?
:bowdown:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Dr.Maxwe001 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:28:11 AM »
 :usa:

:think:

MAYBE WE CAN FIGURE IT OUT IN THE NEW YEAR   :rofl2:
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »
They said on the news this morning that the deal fell through?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Dr.Maxwe001 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
well then maybe we can figure it out by watching the japaneese they seem to know what it takes  :dunno:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:18:12 AM »
I'd like to see them be forced to run their businesses using the toyota format.  I wish I'd snagged it, but when I used to have to go to a laundromat I found a business magazine that had a big article profiling how toyota is run.  It was a very interesting read, and to this day I kick myself for not grabbing it.
RIP KYOTA

Dr.Maxwe001 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
its not Only Toyota that knows whats the "run of the day" so to speak its also Honda, midsubishi and ALL OF THE OTHERS that are making "foreign" vehicles  I herd from some where that lamborgini was to UP there production by this time 2010 heck yeah I'll drive a lambo. to work over my chevrolet

Clutch
Hangs
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil leaks
Engine-
Ticks      truck