Author Topic: Spill Kit Recommendations  (Read 5233 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Spill Kit Recommendations
« on: Aug 10, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
The MCR7 list includes a couple of items that I generally don't carry but probably should.  I think I found something for the "carry it out toilet" for the  :toilet: moments.

I need some advice on what spill kit is the best considering cost and easy of transport.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Spill Kit Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2008, 08:47:49 PM »
A thick garbage bag to catch any oil is what I have.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
I've got a  shorty bucket (same dia. as a 5 gallon, mabye a 3 gal?)  That I throw some paper towels and trash bags in.  I used to have a small container of absorbent, but I used it (at home).  Any absorbing I need to do, I use some dirt, and then shovel it into the bucket.  I carry a shovel in the bed. 

I find that the bucket comes in handy because when I break something, I just throw it in the bucket, don't have to worry about wrapping it so grease and oil don't get all over.  An ammo can would work too, I know a bucket is kinda hard to pack efficiently. :hahaha: 

I also have had a bottle of that orange cleaner in there, sucks when you clean up the spill, and realize you have nothing to effectively degrease your hands with  :_oops:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
find some spill magic and a trash bag and a shovel or even kitty liter will work
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2008, 05:27:41 AM »
Mine is a gallon size container filled with Oil-dri. I also stuff a few rubber gloves and a couple trash bags inside. And I carry a small spade in the tollbox or a shovel
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2008, 06:26:27 AM »
cat litter in a ziplock bag, inside a garbage sack.

litter to absorb, shovel up the contaminated dirt into the garbage bag and take home.
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2008, 11:45:51 AM »
Here's my choice: http://www.bestvalsup.com/Truck-Spill-Kits-p/spt%20spko-trk.htm

I think I got the slightly larger size, but it should pack well in the 4Runner.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
Here's my choice: http://www.bestvalsup.com/Truck-Spill-Kits-p/spt%20spko-trk.htm

I think I got the slightly larger size, but it should pack well in the 4Runner.

Thats nice but its still expensive for what it is.....I made mine for about 2 or 3 dollars at most....These are considered a "consumable" wheeling item too.....so it will need to be replaced after you use it...again and again
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2008, 06:03:06 PM »
Thats nice but its still expensive for what it is.....I made mine for about 2 or 3 dollars at most....These are considered a "consumable" wheeling item too.....so it will need to be replaced after you use it...again and again

I won't argue your point, but I've been wheeling for the past 9 years and have not personally had a use for a spill kit...but it's always a possibility.  I work really hard to overbuild, and I drive easy, to minimize that chance for breakage.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:56:57 AM »
I won't argue your point, but I've been wheeling for the past 9 years and have not personally had a use for a spill kit...but it's always a possibility.  I work really hard to overbuild, and I drive easy, to minimize that chance for breakage.
I used mine the first time I had it out! Pulled a drainplug right out the bottom......has also come in handy for the infamous "birfield soup" mixtures that find their way onto the ground....

hmmmm..maybe its time for some upgrades eh? I did get rid of the drain plug so that would never happen again lol :hahaha:
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »
i dont have one yet, but... when i do:

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
I can't remember where I got them but you can buy drop rags that act like a diaper.  Check the auto parts stores.  I really like them because you can get them out fast and they don't make a mess.  I wouldn't take kitty littler because if you spill on the rocks its a mess to clean up.  When I dumped upside down in one of the hot tubs last year at Moab I had those diaper rags and I was amazed by how much they absorbed.  Probably around 1-2 quarts a piece.  Not bad for a glorified rag.  They're also easy to carry and pack.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »
I can't remember where I got them but you can buy drop rags that act like a diaper.  Check the auto parts stores.  I really like them because you can get them out fast and they don't make a mess.  I wouldn't take kitty littler because if you spill on the rocks its a mess to clean up.  When I dumped upside down in one of the hot tubs last year at Moab I had those diaper rags and I was amazed by how much they absorbed.  Probably around 1-2 quarts a piece.  Not bad for a glorified rag.  They're also easy to carry and pack.
Thats a great point gotrocks.....

How about a "diff diaper"? for if your truck isnt potty trained yet?  :talkingn:
RIP KYOTA

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
How about a "diff diaper"? for if your truck isnt potty trained yet?  :talkingn:
:rofl2:  My truck has that problem all the time  :yupyup:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:39:20 PM »

i used to have a little dust pan and broom (bought in the camping section, for sweeping out tents, was $2 I think)  that was in the bucket for cleaning up the oil soaked dirt/kitty litter, but I stepped on the dust pan  :_oops:  :down:

for me, the biggest thing for the bucket isn't so much the disposal, but the ease of throwing broken/greasy/nasty parts in it, and not having to worry about wrapping them up, or wedging them in the bed somewhere.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2008, 05:02:54 AM »
I found something for the "carry it out toilet" for the  :toilet: moments.

I know you weren't asking about a pooper but I saw something cheap that looked like it would work really well.   It was a folding metal card table chair with a big hole cut in the seat.  Then it had a toilet seat bolted to it.  He just used a trash bag with a little water in it and put it in the hole in the seat.  the weight of the toilet seat held it in place. 

Wait, I think I have a pic.

I was tempted to ask If I could use it.   :D

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2008, 07:12:32 AM »
I know you weren't asking about a pooper but I saw something cheap that looked like it would work really well.   It was a folding metal card table chair with a big hole cut in the seat.  Then it had a toilet seat bolted to it.  He just used a trash bag with a little water in it and put it in the hole in the seat.  the weight of the toilet seat held it in place. 

Wait, I think I have a pic.

I was tempted to ask If I could use it.   :D

You could get a bumper dumper that goes into the receiver on your bumper.  :haha:

I ordered some zip-lock bag things from REI for emergency use.  I think they are made for backpacking.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
I know what my weekend project is going to be!

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
just curious... you spill.... use kitty litter... scoop it up and put it in a bucket... then pack it home... then what do you do with it???
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
I throw out all of my used oil dry