Author Topic: clutch, but not a truck  (Read 1577 times)

tacoma_kyle

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
clutch, but not a truck
« on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »
Ok I'd appreciate it if you dont jump on me for this, but if so....yeah

So yeah I need a little clutch input. Yes I searched. My Celica is getting the 1UZ with a W58 tranny. As far from crawling as you can get. At the same time, I am getting a flywheel that ORIGINATES from a 3.0 pickup. So it wears whatever clutches are compatible. Centerforce are over priced and seem to leave some to be desired as well.

Ok so this car will be putting about 220-240 hp and about the same torque number (ft*lb) to the wheels. It is a for-fun daily driver that is meant to be a little quick. None the less, light at around 2400-2500 lb's so it'll move a little easier.

The main concensus says ceramic grab or not, the organics are smooth. Ok, then I read a little saying the ceramics WILL EAT flywheels. Only a few times though. I DID NOT read that anyone knew from experience; rather 'just knew' (open to interpretation). Having said that, my flywheels costs 300 bucks. I dont care to replace it often (thats a cheap one). But at the same time if I take the car to the strip every once in a while, I dont want the clutch to take a dump on me (in a bad way). So that leaves me questioning organic. This is a street only car so the most slipping it will ever see is in 1st.

I hope someone can aid me. 50 bucks more isnt a whole lot so if no input is gathered I'll probably just get a ceramic one.

Thanks, Kyle.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008, 12:33:22 PM by tacoma_kyle »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: clutch, but not a truck
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
if its  a 3.0  v6  flywheel  i think  you can use the  clutch  Marlin sells for the 3.0,  the 1600  would be perfect  and no  i dont recommend  the ceramic clutch, get the semi metalic (oem "style") clutch
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2008, 11:44:04 PM »
X2, ceramic wouldn't be a good idea for a dd.  Sounds like a fun little project!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2008, 05:37:33 AM »
Anyone that said that organics eat flywheels is retarded.  I've had ceramic and copper pucked clutches beat the hell out of flywheels and pressure plates, but never an organic disc.

For my performance car needs, I find myself coming back to ACT for clutches.  They've always done the job at a good price, haven't ever faded, and have held up to years of abuse.  But, since we're brand loyal to Marlin, I guess you could go that way.  I have no personal experience with Marlin clutches, so I can't personally say. 

BTW... you need to post pictues.  :)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2008, 06:48:09 AM »

BTW... you need to post pictues.  :)

:werd:

yeah, I'd go with an OEM style clutch as well.  Marlin's is a great choice.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2008, 07:58:45 AM »
fwiw  ive  had  my Marlin 1200 (oem style--NON ceramic)  clutch  since 2002,  i daily drove it till 2005  not to mention aggressive  offroading  and towing a tandem axle trailer at times with as much as 4000 pounds  on it  and  my Marlin clutch  still holds  very  strong,  and  the disc  looks new
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

tacoma_kyle [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »
Good eye Anti-IFS dude, I got them mixed up. I edited it. Mean to write ceramic but well...didnt.

But yeah thanks for the advise guys, I'll go with the HD organic.

This is the car and pretty much up to date. School is keepin me quite busy...but there is a sick as hell shop here.

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16700&start=0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
:love:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
That is SICK

And I agree with the others... Go with an OEM style clutch. A ceramic clutch for on the road is tricky to drive. Itd be great if it was strictly race (in my opinion) but not for daily driving.

Ive driven ceramic clutches and they arent necessarily the easiest things to drive... Once you get used to them they are OK though
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!