Author Topic: Are there any clutch/clutch master cylinder experts in the house?  (Read 4692 times)

Zoomschwortz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got my new engine in the truck yesterday with a new Centerforce clutch and pressure plate (haven't fired it up yet) and today I noticed that the clutch pedal has way to much freeplay. If I adjust the rod all of the way out (ie. no threads in the clevis nut) it is just about right.

I'm looking in my 89 Toyota repair manual and it looks like the clevis that attaches to the clutch pedal is longer for a V6 than it is for the 22RE.

Does anybody know if it is indeed longer for the 6 cyl than it is for the 4 cyl and if it is, do you know how much longer it is?

I would rather go to the bone yard tomorrow and look for a clevis than have to tear apart my master cylinder, buy a die,, buy a long adjuster nut, cut and thread the rod, install the new adjuster nut, reasemble the master cylinder and then bleed the clutch system again (I bleed it tonight).

Thanks for your help.
Ken
89 Ext. Cab, 22re 5 speed, 31"10.50/15"
84 Ext. Cab 22R, 5 speed, 31" 10.50/15"

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I pulled out my FSM, and concur that the 3vze clevis appears to be longer than the 22re one.  I went out and checked mine, couldn't find my tape, but by a rough finger estimate, then measured against a yardstick (only thing I could find :headshake: )  I'd say its roughly 2.5 inches from the mounting nut to the center of the pin :thumbs:

I hope that helps, sorry I can't get exact, but it is close.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I pulled out my FSM, and concur that the 3vze clevis appears to be longer than the 22re one.  I went out and checked mine, couldn't find my tape, but by a rough finger estimate, then measured against a yardstick (only thing I could find :headshake: )  I'd say its roughly 2.5 inches from the mounting nut to the center of the pin :thumbs:

Yes, that does help. I'll go out and measure mine now.

Thank you for taking the time to check.
Ken

harley1615

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Just curious, is this the same eng configuration you had in your truck before? Was the clutch pedal loose then? My pedal was loose and I removed the pivot bolt and pin were the clevis is attached and found the nylon bushings gone. I got all new ones from Totota for around $15. Also your pedal will be sloppy if their is any air in it. :usa:

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just curious, is this the same eng configuration you had in your truck before? Was the clutch pedal loose then? My pedal was loose and I removed the pivot bolt and pin were the clevis is attached and found the nylon bushings gone. I got all new ones from Totota for around $15. Also your pedal will be sloppy if their is any air in it. :usa:

Same engine, but, rebuilt. Same flywheel, but, resurfaced. New Centerforce clutch and pressure plate, former was stock Toyota.

I bled the clutch so there shouldn't be any air. There is a lot more freeplay now than there ever was before. I never ran a Centerforce before so I don't know if this is common, but in their instructions, they were adamant about freeplay adjustment.

Thanks
Ken

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Maybe you got more air n than you got out?
I have changes clutches out for both marlin's and centerforces and always ended up with tighter, stiffer set up than stock.
Someting is no right...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

highridin4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 237
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Did the throw out bearing look the same as the one you took out? I had a issue with a clutch kit (cant remember the brand) but it came with a different throw out bearing that was not correct. I had to get a factory toyota one that they paid for. How much play do you have at the clutch fork?

Scott

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did the throw out bearing look the same as the one you took out? I had a issue with a clutch kit (cant remember the brand) but it came with a different throw out bearing that was not correct. I had to get a factory toyota one that they paid for. How much play do you have at the clutch fork?

Scott

It is a Centerforce throwout bearing, but, I didn't compare it with the one that I removed.

When we bled the system lastnight, I noticed that with the bleed valve open, I could push the slave cylinder piston in a lot farther than the spring would take it in. If I pushed it all the way in, it would take two pumps until the spring was tight on the slave and three pumps until the clutch could be disengaged.

With the truck in gear and the clutch pedal out, you cannot push the truck and if the pedal is pushed in while it is in gear, the truck can be pushed, so it seems to be engaging and disengaging alright.

Is there a difference between 22RE and V6 clutch master cylinders? It looks like there is a difference in the clevis length between the two and I would hate to destroy the master cylinder by pushing it in to far.

Thanks
Ken

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

I just measured mine. It is 1 1/8" from the nut to the center of the pin. If the V6 is 2.5" then it is 1 3/8" longer than mine which is going to be close to being too long.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i adjusted my Master clevis  almost all the way out,  then  adjusted  my slave rod  till it was close to the end also  befor i could  disengage my Marlin clutch
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Zoomschwortz [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i adjusted my Master clevis  almost all the way out,  then  adjusted  my slave rod  till it was close to the end also  befor i could  disengage my Marlin clutch

I didn't realize that the slave could be adjusted!

I did get it fixed though. I welded another nut to the clevis, making it longer. It works great and even though I have only used it for about five miles, I love this clutch, so far.

I expected this Dual friction clutch and Centerforce pressure plate to be a little grabby, but, it couldn't be smoother. My wife could drive it anywhere.

I will need to see how it is when it gets some miles on it, but, if it stays like this, I will have to say that it is the best clutch P/P combination I have ever used, especially if it holds as good as it is supposed to.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Ken