Author Topic: Front Axel  (Read 2467 times)

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Front Axel
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
okay i was wondering what this was and do i need on my axle because all the builds i see i don't see them on there

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Front Axel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
thats your torque rod bracket...no you dont need it if you are using hysteer
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
if you are running stock steering, you should have it, some people dont run it, but i have heard it can be pretty scary as far as handling goes without it.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yota18 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »
also wondering because i have the heavy duty tie rods from marlin and im not going to use hysteer and i wanted to put the gussets on the axle would this be a problem if i cut that off

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »
also wondering because i have the heavy duty tie rods from marlin and im not going to use hysteer and i wanted to put the gussets on the axle would this be a problem if i cut that off

What kind of steering are you going to run? What year is your rig. If you are going to run the stock push/pull steering do not cut that off and run the torque rod especally if it is a street driven rig. If you have to stop fast the axle will roll forward causing the rig to go to the right.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
yeah I'm leaving mine on until i do a few more suspension mods then I'll test it with the torque removed but with the bracket still in place. i hear a few people have had good results by replacing the torque rod with a shock in the same bracket.

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:45:19 PM »
yeah I'm leaving mine on until i do a few more suspension mods then I'll test it with the torque removed but with the bracket still in place. i hear a few people have had good results by replacing the torque rod with a shock in the same bracket.
There is no way a shock can do the job that the torque rod does.  Think about it.  In theory it sounds good, but the torque rod is solid and it stops axle movement as soon as the brakes are applied...  A shock can dampen it, and allow movement with the suspension, but can't stop it from moving/rolling when the brakes are put on... 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:15:03 PM »
yeah your probably right..  I'm still looking for a better answer. even with only 2 inch lift it's a real pain getting the torque rod in. maybe I'll figure out a way to make it adjustable and easy to disconnect.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
There is no way a shock can do the job that the torque rod does.  Think about it.  In theory it sounds good, but the torque rod is solid and it stops axle movement as soon as the brakes are applied...  A shock can dampen it, and allow movement with the suspension, but can't stop it from moving/rolling when the brakes are put on... 
What you wrote sounds good but it is wrong. A friend of mine did it, he found a shock that at ride height it was fully collapsed. Hence when he applied the brakes it was solid and worked just like the torque arm, when he was wheeling it let the frontend droop. In fact it let it droop some much that he had to put a limiting strap on it to stop breaking "J" arms.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:08:51 AM »
79 coyotefrog recommends this too (shock replacing torque rod)

If you think about it...some people dont have anything there....a shock will offer more control (will slow the movement) than nothing at all
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
OK let me know if I'm thinking right.  when you slam the brakes on the front axle well try to rotate forward and compress the torque rod.. but it can't because it's solid.  so if you put a shock that is at ... or near full compression at ride hight it's not going to let the axle rotate forward enough to effect steering either.  maybe the right size shock with a bump stop on the shock shaft would be the ticket?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »
i ran a shock for several years  and it worked GREAT
i never broke a  J arm  or  anything,  only problem i had  was at the Ross foundation stuck between a huge boulder  and a tree,  and bent the draglink

flexes  really good  for stock steering

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=68663871&albumID=716558&imageID=1346154

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=68663871&albumID=716558&imageID=1346139
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way