Author Topic: Am I crazy???  (Read 7837 times)

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Re: Am I crazy???
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »
yeah, sounds like you bent it a little..... what year of axle housing and do you have any extra trussing?
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
The newest versions are a very snug fit. I had a time getting the long side in for both mine and my friends 85 housings. A little persuasion and some slight clearancing and all was good.

Throttle is the difference! When crawling fails, giving it usually doesn't. Breaking and not breaking is not necessarily all that wheeling hard consists of, but people who wheel hard are the ones that break most often. Funny how that works.
Nice video! You know I was running stock birfs with dual cases and 5.29s and suffered no breakage that weekend, a true testimate that how hard you wheel doesn't necessarily mean breakage.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:54:21 AM by Gittinit »
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »
The newest versions are a verry snug fit. I had a time getting the long side in for both mine and my friends 85 housings. A little persuasion and some slight clearancing and all was good.
 Nice video! You know I was running stock birfs with dual cases and 5.29s and sufferd no breakage that weekend, a true testimat that how hard you wheel dosen't nessicarraly mean breakage.

You will break, it all adds up. That just means your parts were still fresh. You wait, in 5 years if you keep driving like that you won't be able to back off the trailer without something breaking. Parts just get weak over time and after a lot of hard driving.
yeah, sounds like you bent it a little..... what year of axle housing and do you have any extra trussing?

It is all trussed up and is an 85 housing.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

DsrtJeeper [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 11:58:56 PM »

And just to keep with the topic a little....Yes you are crazy! If you think that breaking or not breaking is the difference between wheeling hard and not wheeling hard you are Wrong.  :outtahere:

Never said that. I will say that I've taken Dana 30's where Dana 60's have broken. There are big differences between drivers and where people wheel. I mostly crawl. I definately understand breakage after watching that video. Woohoo!!!

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 05:38:13 AM »
You will break, it all adds up. That just means your parts were still fresh. You wait, in 5 years if you keep driving like that you won't be able to back off the trailer without something breaking. Parts just get weak over time and after a lot of hard driving.
Fresh birfs....Yea right! The pass was 79 and the driver was 83 Junkyard parts is where its at baby! I hope your there when I do see the big breakage. I know it will happen eventually, but until then, the fun pedal is on the left. But seriously though I crawl when I can and if that don't work I get determined and frustrated and my right foot instantly turns to lead. I do drive conservatively , but I don't back down from an obstacle because I am scared of breaking.

All I'm trying to say is that "breaking parts" seems like a game of chance. I have broke many stock birfs and most have let go when I least expected them too. I have tried obstacles when I was certain I would break something and came out shocked and astonished when everything held. The day after I returned home from the trip in the video I broke the drivers side birf on a gravel hill that made those rocks at Flatnasty look like Mt Everest.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
Fresh birfs....Yea right! The pass was 79 and the driver was 83 Junkyard parts is where its at baby!

They are fresh as in not being in a wheeling rig. How much locked in four wheel drive use do you think those birfields saw before you?

The day after I returned home from the trip in the video I broke the drivers side birf on a gravel hill that made those rocks at Flatnasty look like Mt Everest.

Exactly!
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »
i have spent enough money on my front end to pay for a built 60.  and i keep breaking :pokinit:.  the only thing i haven't broken is a hub (knock on wood).  ya, i cracked both the 30 splines and i haven't even broken stock hub gears.  and i haven't even bent the housing yet.  i don't have the knuckle ball gussets and if you new how much cutting and welding i have done on my front axle you would be surprised it hasn't warped or bent yet.  it seems i don't break the :pokinit: most people break.