Author Topic: So who knows crap about gardening?  (Read 3025 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
So who knows crap about gardening?
« on: Jun 26, 2007, 11:56:43 PM »
Mainly bug/pest control?  I have a half dozen corn plants and one of them seems to have a mite problem.  I've noticed it for the last several days, then found something odd when I got home from snagging my engine tonight.

I'm going hiking tomorrow and know I won't get up early enough to take the full time watering.  Figured I'd be a step ahead if I watered tonight, then I can just water lightly in the morning and all will be well.  Even in the dark I noticed something moving near the tops of the corn stalk so I snagged the camera.  There were ants all over and it almost appeared they were eating the mites :crossed:  Initially I figured I should flick them off, but seeing as they may be helping I let them stay for the night.  I'll double check in the morning and see if it looks like they made a dent in the population.

I also have a couple preying mantasses and a few frogs and toads.  The pm's are good I know, and I'd assume the frogs are munching down on some of the bugs.  I also seem to have an abundance of spiders in that area who really like to walk across my feet ONLY when I'm wearing flip flops :shake:

I keep intending to buy some lady bugs and more mantasses but am curious what everybody else does to help with their gardens?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: So who knows crap about gardening?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:10:17 AM »
Forgot to add pics
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2007, 07:23:21 AM »
besides  using poisons  which  i dont care for,  sounds  like nature  is doing the work for you,   all i could  add  would be  watch  and make sure the ants  dont  start eating the corn  which i doubt,  and  dont wear flipflops  :disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:25:28 AM »
Blend up some of the infested plant/leaves with the bugs in some water in a blender.  Then sprinkle the 'bug juice' back onto the plants.  The bugs HATE that :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Like Glen said, watch those ant's, they can an will/might start eating your corn. Just keep a watchfull eye on em....

Blend up some of the infested plant/leaves with the bugs in some water in a blender.  Then sprinkle the 'bug juice' back onto the plants.  The bugs HATE that :thumbs:

Never heard of that before, i will have to try it myself... thanks FFC

military_stang
:respect:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »
Heck, if that's true, then I can see why it works  :hammer:. I wouldn't want to go eat somewhere that body parts of my kind are strewn about. I'd leave too hoping I wouldn't be one of the Unfortunate.  :shudder:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »
Heck, if that's true, then I can see why it works  :hammer:. I wouldn't want to go eat somewhere that body parts of my kind are strewn about. I'd leave too hoping I wouldn't be one of the Unfortunate.  :shudder:

Exactly why it works. :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »
Will it work to keep the neighbors dog off my lawn?   Nah...J/K  :hammerhead:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
Will it work to keep the neighbors dog off my lawn?   Nah...J/K  :hammerhead:

Maybe if you blend up some d....... :disturbed: Nevermind, might attract them more :rofl:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
If I had a daughter, I would use that technique to keep would be boyfriends away.....  :meal:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:43:52 PM »
If I had a daughter, I would use that technique to keep would be boyfriends away.....  :meal:

:o Noooooo I meant dog :doh:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:45:47 PM »
OH.... :smack:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »
Well have you made sure that the mites are really mites? Make sure they arent aphids, because if they are aphids then the ants are protecting them. Many ant species "herd" aphids like cattle and "milk" them for hondew they produce. If they are actually attacking the mites, then you have nature to thank.

If they are mites, how big are they? Large, small, near microscopic? There are various solutions. Here are some in terms of natural pests (best way to go):

PEST: Spider mites.

CONTROL: Spider mites can be controlled by Stethorus punctillum , a type of tiny ladybug that eats both eggs and newly hatched spider mites. Each bug eats about 40 mites a day as well as many eggs. About 100 bugs are needed to start a healthy colony. Cost is about $67.

SOURCE: Nature's Control, POB 35, Medford, OR 97501. 541-899-8318.

Likewise ladybugs and praying mantids are great, cheap bio-pest control. Although mantids usualy only pray on small mites and aphids in their first month or two after hatching, after that they go after larger prey. I have also used Dyna-Gro Neem Oil to control mites in the past. It has quite a few different uses such as bio-pest control, plant health and disease prevention. it is very beneficial for pest control and plant health when used as a supplement when watering. You can find it at any gardening store, usualy hydroponic and gardening specific stores carry the best selection. I prefer Dyna-Gro Neem Oil but there are many brands out there. Here is wikipedia's little blurb on neem oil:

Neem oil is not used for cooking purposes but, in India and Bangladesh, it is used for preparing cosmetics (soap, hair products, body hygiene creams, hand creams) and in Ayurvedic, Unani and folklore traditional medicine, in the treatment of a wide range of afflictions. The most frequently reported indications in ancient Ayurvedic writings are skin diseases, inflammations and fevers, and more recently rheumatic disorders, insect repellent and insecticide effects.
Traditional Ayurvedic uses of neem include the treatment of fever, leprosy, malaria, ophthalmia and tuberculosis. Various folk remedies for neem include use as an anthelmintic, antifeedant, antiseptic, diuretic, emmenagogue, contraceptive, febrifuge, parasiticide, pediculocide and insecticide. It has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of tetanus, urticaria, eczema, scrofula and erysipelas. Traditional routes of administration of neem extracts included oral, girl thingyl and topical use. Neem oil has an extensive history of human use in India and surrounding regions for a variety of therapeutic purposes. Puri (1999) has given an account of traditional uses and therapeutic indications and pharmacological studies of this oil, in his book on neem.
Formulations made of Neem oil also find wide usage as a bio-pesticide for organic farming, as it repels a wide variety of pests including the mealy bug, beet armyworm, aphids, the cabbage worm, nematodes and the Japanese beetle. Neem Oil is non-toxic to mammals and birds as well as many beneficial insects such as honeybees and ladybugs. It can be used as a household pesticide for ant, bedbug, thingyroach, housefly, sand fly, snail, termite and mosquitoes both as repellent and larvicide (Puri 1999). Neem oil also controls black spot, powdery mildew, anthracnose and rust (fungus).
For use as a bio-pesticide, pure Neem oil should be diluted at the rate of 1 teaspoon per quart or 4 teaspoons per gallon of water. Adding a surfactant greatly enhances its effectiveness. It can also be used as a cure for Static Lice in Cavies (Guinea Pigs).

Hope this helps.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
Great info guys, keep it up :thumbs:  They're super small.  Look at the little dots and discoloration on the stalk and leaves and you'll seem them.  Those are small ants too, if that helps any.

RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »
Well if that is the case it sounds like spider mites. Give the neem oil a try it works wonders.  :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »
Looked again this morning and it still seems like they're spreading.  Ants were there again last night so I guess they're not doing their job!
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
Well I dont know why the ants are there but you may want to spend 20 minutes or so observing some time to see what exactly they are doing. ants can be greatly beneficial and devastatingly destructive at the same time so watch out!!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:33:21 PM »
FRY THEM  :flamer:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »
Well, I haven't noticed any ant-like damage yet.  I've seen their work on various leaves and stuff before and know how they roll.  They don't appear to be carrying anything, just moving around a lot.  Didn't see them when I got home tonight but I'll hafta pop out right now and see if they're back. 

From what I've read the lady bugs are the big helpers here.  They seem to indulge in all the mentioned pests, so it looks like I'm off to get me some ladies tomorrow!
RIP KYOTA

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:16:05 PM »
the ants will eat them.

the afids must die  :flamer: heat kills all.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:39:31 PM »
Heat kills my corn man!  If it'd just get pollenated I could cut off the top of the plants and they'd be gone  :hammerhead:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
Can't totally tell what the ants are doing :headscratch:  I saw them on the little bugs and they didn't appear to be eating them, though I did see one on a leaf find something very small and white and eat it.  No idea what it was but atleast I saw something happening. 

I saw one of my little praying mantisses and named him............. zorak.........
RIP KYOTA