Author Topic: I love craigslist sometimes!  (Read 8137 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: I love craigslist sometimes!
« Reply #30 on: Jun 26, 2007, 12:17:31 AM »
Abandoned hobbies :slap:  I never abandon, just push to the side :haha:

Same here.  I have a whole garage of "pushed to the side" hobbies.   :shake_head:

Thats why I abandoned it! :hammerhead:

My Bump is burried behind so much crap, I dont even know where it is. I will pull it out someday, most likely when I transfer to a different college. All my friends that do still ride (all two of them) only do downhill mountain biking....im not crazy enough to go chasing them with my little bmx bike on the trails they ride.  :screwy:

Hopefuly I can get one of these before my back stops working  :crossed:

http://www.harborcountrybike.com/photos/m7bladt-2.jpg
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2007, 12:28:27 AM »
Abandoned hobbies :slap:  I never abandon, just push to the side :haha:
Same here.  I have a whole garage of "pushed to the side" hobbies.   :shake_head:
Thats why I abandoned it! :hammerhead:
You abandoned your garage?  :yikes:  :slap:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:04:26 AM »
Hopefuly I can get one of these before my back stops working  :crossed:

http://www.harborcountrybike.com/photos/m7bladt-2.jpg

I like I like :yesnod:  Is that pre walmart mongoose or are they still making real bikes?  I still can't believe they sold out :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:17:48 AM »
I like I like :yesnod:  Is that pre walmart mongoose or are they still making real bikes?  I still can't believe they sold out :shake:

im ok with buying a bike from walmart, i would jsut tear it down and rebuild it so i know it wasnt some $5 an hour worker @ walmart that put it together

thing is, i need to find a tall bike, and most places dont sell those off shelf without going to a real bike store
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:57:26 AM »

im ok with buying a bike from walmart, i would jsut tear it down and rebuild it so i know it wasnt some $5 an hour worker @ walmart that put it together

You cannot polish a turd

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=turd+polisher
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 02:02:27 AM by 9VLick »

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »
You cannot polish a turd

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=turd+polisher
No, but atleast you can pick out the corn or peanuts.  :pokinit:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »

Jim, it's not the quality of the build but the quality of the bike!  A walmart mongoose is a cheaply made bike with inferior components.  A REAL mongoose has good quality parts and is better designed and costs much more.  The bike in the pic he posted probably costs well over $2,000, while a *cough* full suspension walmart bike is probably well under $200.  You could probably buy 3 "expensive" walmart bikes for what the shock costs on that high end mongoose :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:34:38 PM »
Jim, it's not the quality of the build but the quality of the bike!  A walmart mongoose is a cheaply made bike with inferior components.  A REAL mongoose has good quality parts and is better designed and costs much more.  The bike in the pic he posted probably costs well over $2,000, while a *cough* full suspension walmart bike is probably well under $200.  You could probably buy 3 "expensive" walmart bikes for what the shock costs on that high end mongoose :haha:

yeah the way i break stuff, multiple cheapos would last me longer..... beaten then put away wet

i cant find cheapos though.... i need the tall sized bikes, and they just dont make the cheapos in that size, like a 21" frame is what i need....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 26, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
Well I have been out of the bike scene for a while but I didnt realize Mongoose sold out and sells cheap ass bikes at Walmart  :shake:

Much like I wouldnt buy drivetrain components at walmart (if they sold them that is), I wouldnt buy some cheap downhill bike there either. I would glady pay $3K for a well built and sturdy bike. After all it is my life that is at stake and I wouldnt want to risk that to save some dough. Anyway, if you buy your bikes at walmart stay off the trails im riding on!!!  :rofl2:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
True.  Dude on pirate has a virtually unused 05 kona stinky supreme, $4000 downhill bike, and only wants $800 :yikes:  It's even in my size, but there's just no way I could swing that AND shipping up to me :down:
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:40:09 PM »
Nice... :thumbs:

I wish I had the time to go on regular rides again. I am just so damn busy with school and work. I barely have time to wheel, or do anything for that matter. im taking this summer statistics class right now and the homework alone takes 2-3 hours a day and that isnt counting studying for the weekly exams. I will have some time off after august 2nd but most of it will be taken up camping and wheeling. I miss the good ol days of riding to school, riding the school, and hitting the jumps after school. :P

Anyway I know if i bought a new bike right now I wouldnt get my money's worth for a long time so I just have to suck it up and wait until I can actually get some use out of it.

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »
Nice... :thumbs:

im taking this summer statistics class right now and the homework alone takes 2-3 hours a day and that isnt counting studying for the weekly exams.

I took stats this past semester; I learned the TI calculator is your friend if you know what key sequence to use.

I spent a few hours a week perfecting my knowledge of the calculator and sadly it's all gone now after I got my passing grade, my brain e-dumped all the stuff.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun 26, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
I took stats this past semester; I learned the TI calculator is your friend if you know what key sequence to use.

I spent a few hours a week perfecting my knowledge of the calculator and sadly it's all gone now after I got my passing grade, my brain e-dumped all the stuff.

Oh hell yeah. I would have shot myself by now if i didnt have my TI 83+    :bowdown:

It makes it go a lot faster. the problem is my instructor just assigns a :pokinit: load of homework. Its not that its hard, its that its long, and tedious. I have had to relearn to use my calculator since the last time I used it was an algebra class two years ago. It is damn handy though now that I am getting the hang of it again. Amazing little calculator.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jun 26, 2007, 11:48:37 PM »
Well, dude emailed me and said he's still trying to scrounge up the cash.  In the meantime I snagged my new to me bike, a gt bump.  This thing is stout!  BEEF doesn't even begin to explain it!  I'll try snagging some pics tomorrow when I get home, but for $50 I'm pretty stoked!  Well, $54 cause he didn't have a 10 spot, but he had a new set of grips still in the package so that sweetened the deal some too.
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:19:30 PM »
Sweet, I've got a 2000 Bump.  :thumbs: I have put mine through some abuse and it has held up great. I thought I was going to have to replace teh stock forks years ago and they have taken some poundings and if i polished em up they would look brand new (almost :D). mine has a gyro though and i dont bust out like I used to so when I unburry it i think i am going to ditch it for the sake of my brakes, which barely work. always have to use my foot which sucks on big hills :biked:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 27, 2007, 11:33:33 PM »
Cool!  It looks like a really well built bike with plenty of gussets and beef.  Mine has the gyro too, though I grabbed the break and tried pedaling and it didn't budge so I'll probably be ok.  I may use it on some easier mountainbike trails so I might install a front brake, just not sure yet.

Only problem I've found is the bottom bracket is very loose.  Not sure if the bearings are hashed or just loose, but either way a new bb shouldn't be too bad, specially if I go non-sealed.  If I grow a set of balls it might pull double duty as a lake jumper too, but they still look small to me..........
RIP KYOTA