Author Topic: Gottal love craigslist!  (Read 3098 times)

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
Gottal love craigslist!
« on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
I have never used it but my wife wanted to move furnature and we had a 55 gallon fish tank with about 30 fish, I told her when we got it I wasnt going to move it again, so I put it on the list and after 4 hours I had someone coming to get it, sold it, and had another email that night someone else wanting it.... Pretty cool. So i listed my utility trialer on there, I want to get a car hauler that will fit my jeep if I ever get it back. Gotta be 87 wide though to get the tires on!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

montanatoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Gottal love craigslist!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
I agree sold stuff on there i couldnt give away funny how that works one mans junk is another mans treasure
toyotas are like tonka trucks of old built to beat the hell out of

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »
I love and hate that site.  I agree I've done some tire kickin, but I don't string people along like some do me when I'm trying to sell stuff.  I don't care if somebody emails me about something, I just don't want to go through all the answering questions multiple times, often the same ones for the same perons, arranging a time to meet then never hearing from them again. 

Some stuff I've listed I thought would never sell but it did, then :pokinit: I thought for sure would go like hotcakes either never sold or sold so long after I posted that I'd actually forgot about listing it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
LOL thats the beauty of the beast i suppose!

WILLYNILLY

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »
And it works again!  Listed a set of motorcycle tires that I'd probably never use and sold them within a couple days.  I took a loss, but losing $30 is far better than losing several times that!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
Yeah I agree with the love hate deal. Sometimes I post stuff and it gets sold instantly, sometimes i even get idiots that buy stuff without even thinking about what they are buying. For example I sold my old set of 6 lug 15x8s with some 35s with like 20-30% tread to some guy from out of town. After he buys them I ask what he is putting them on, he tells me is going home to put them on his Jeep wrangler. i just shrugged said sweet good luck with that. i figured he just wanted the tires but you never know, he may have just been special  :dunno:

Like nate said its annoying when you go to the trouble of keeping up with someone, or holding something for someone for days, weeks or even longer and then they just disappear. One more thing too that pisses me off is when people call me and ask me for :pokinit: I dont even have listed. One guy called me because I had some jeep leaf springs for sale (ONLY Jeep part I had, the rest was all toyota :pokinit:) and he started rattling off this list of jeep parts he needed and if i had them....stock springs, wiring harness, doors, steering column...

I finally had to stop him and reiterate the point that ALL I had were those springs. I also had someone prank call me a bunch of times after I told them my Honda was sold. he kept calling back and asking if stupid :pokinit: was for sale to the point where I just shut my phone off for twenty minutes so he would leave me alone. so yes, love hate :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
Like nate said its annoying when you go to the trouble of keeping up with someone, or holding something for someone for days, weeks or even longer and then they just disappear.

Sadly this happens with members both here and yotatech too.  One in particular has done it to me twice.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt even though he never had the balls to get back to me when he did it the first time a couple years ago, but he again did it to me recently and finished burning his bridge.  If he ever wants something from me again I'm pretty sure I'll give him a fake address nowhere near me, let him waste his 3 hours going each way and stew on it.  Maybe then he'll stop screwing around with board members  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »
There are certain members I'll hold stuff for almost indefinately though.  Lilbuddy, toyoder, norcalyoter, toby and ffc have all done right by me (may be a couple I'm forgetting) so I try and return the favor.  There are plenty of others I'll work with, these are just the members I've dealt with so far. 
RIP KYOTA

toby

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
I think I have about half of trucdk built from Nates parts truck.
I'm not as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:26:17 PM »
You can get great bargains on CL if your quick.  I found my 99 4Runner SR5 Sport on CL with a bad motor for $2000.00  It had rear diff lock, leather, etc and it was in great shape.  I bought a 75k motor from a salvage yard for $1200 and did the swap myself.    :clap:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:07:07 PM »
Yeah - def second that.

Ebay blows as a seller and is tolerable for things like PS3 games and whatnot I guess, but not much else. Well, I have bought two cars off of EBay, but I looked at them first locally before I bid.

Craigslist otoh, is good - but you gotta be quick.  cash-in-hand and ready to show up an hour after it's posted sometimes.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »
Ebay motors has officially pissed me off!  When they first came out with the "new" ebay motors I had the "privelage" of being one of the selected members who got/were forced to use it.  I went back and forth with them bitching up a storm because it sucked so bad, and after ignoring the site for some time noticed I was back to using the old site.  That ended the other day and I'm again getting up their ass and letting them know how much it sucks!  WTF would I have searches set aside in my ebay section if they just re-route to the main site and I have to start all over, or sometimes they'll go to the first page but direct back to the main site when I try going past page 1  :maddest:
RIP KYOTA

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
They're trying to turn Google Shopping/Froogle and Ebay into the same site.  I hate it.  Lots.  I rarely get into old school demon flame-master(20+ years of experience online) mode, but this made me go off on them in their forums.

we need loads and loads of quick to access raw data.

As for cars, limit the searches to 20 or 50 miles or whatever is "close" to you.  Never bid on anything you don't see and drive first, because most of Ebay is people trying to dump their garbage that they can't get  rid of locally.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
Or at least dont bid unless you have an agreement that if the vehicle isnt as described then you dont have to buy!   I got my armada on ebbay and its awesome..

WILLYNILLY

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
Again, I love and hate that site!  I posted 8 items today and had 2 ads flagged pretty quickly.  Why?  Hell if I know.  I'm not a dealer, I'm not posting out of town and am posting nothing offensive.  I had an ad for a set of motorcycle frame sliders flagged, and another for a baseball collection.  Why?  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »
I love CL. But when selling, if it isn't close to free, it gets hard convincing ppl to buy.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
I like CL, just gotta be careful.  I've got a couple of rules for myself, buying and selling, and so far they've worked pretty well.

Selling
1) don't post anything you NEED to sell there.  you'll never get the $$ you want, or it won't sell.

2) don't go out of your way for anyone.  If they want it, they'll come get it.  Make them come to you, or to where you will be. 

3) pick your lowest price, and stick with it.  don't throw in extras, don't try to sweeten the deal, whatever. 

4) WRITE A GOOD AD!!!  This one is the worst.  give a good description, pictures, location, and price.  make sure you give contact info, or you check the email address that the anonymous one goes to often.  And don't be one of those morons that puts a bunch of keywords in your add.  Pisses me off when I'm looking for a toyota ______ and listings for honda, ktm, kawasaki, ford, chevy, dodge, engine, 350, 289, etc. pops up.

Obviously 2 and 3 both relate directly to #1. 

Buying
1) be prepared to drive a bit, if you want it, go get it, but feel free to ask to meet up.

2) Never ask full price, learn how to haggle

3) be prepared for whatever you are looking at to be a turd, he "forgot" to tell you that pic was 20 years old.

4) check often, you never know what you'll find!

5) be prepared to hear some weird stories during your transaction  :conf:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
Anyone else get relies from ppl saying they'll send "movers to pick it up"? The last one I got was pretty clever; said he was hearing impaired and could not call, said he would give a check to the movers and they could pick up whenever I was available.

I get these scampers whenever I post something for more than $100.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 09:11:13 PM »
I've only had scammers contact me a couple times, and I usually just ignore them.

Here are a few of my ads for reference:  http://redding.craigslist.org/clt/679428509.html    http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/679292861.html    http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/679281147.html    http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/679541731.html   
RIP KYOTA

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »
used to look at ebay for parts  all the time, but anymore the sellers are ALL parts dealers (stores or whatever) and have pages and pages of the same exact :pokinit:. you use to be able to find good parts for good deals from private sellers.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 11:32:21 PM »
:yesnod:  I remember those days too!  I remember 10 or less pages of toy truck parts, with MAYBE a couple pages worth of dealer crap.  Now, like you said, you're lucky if you find even 3 non dealer items per page  :shake:  It's the same with bike parts too, just too dang hard to navigate!
RIP KYOTA