Author Topic: Problem areas to look at when buying used??  (Read 3045 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Problem areas to look at when buying used??
« on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:14:01 AM »
I know there are posts somewhere.  But the search isn't bringing anything helpful up!  So, I'm looking at a late 80's toyota tomorrow, and I need to know what are the problem areas?  I've heard about the frame rails behind the cab?  What should I be looking for in the body, frame and running gear!  It's been sitting for a while, so is there any spots I should look for rust!  Common areas!  I'm not worried about the bed, flatbed will fix that!  Any information will be very helpful!  Thank you! 

Maybe we can get a post started and make it a sticky for future reference?  :dunno:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Problem areas to look at when buying used??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:21:36 AM »
check to make sure what you see is surface rust and not cancer rust....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:36:37 AM »
rear shackle and spring hangers are a area where rust will attack on a yota frame..  take a slag  type hammer with you and  smack the frame with the pointy end whereever you see rust.   good way to tell
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:30:55 AM »
hanger behind  gas tank,  if it aint rusty there  chances are the rest of the frame is ok
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 01:33:12 PM »
i like the ol paperclip trick to check engine codes, test 4wd (obviously)
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2006, 02:23:49 PM »
on the frame, look for fresh paint!!  I looked at a truck that had a nice shiny frame in spots :headshake:  turned out the guy spray painted over all the rust  :yikes:

is it driveable?  if it is, listen real close for any squeaks from the front end. if the bushings on the IFS dry up, the whole front end gets really loose.

make sure the hubs lock, and that 4wd works.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »
I also like to climb under the truck and look for evidence of oil/grease where there probably shouldn't be any. Some folks will spend $30 at the car wash, and spray off any evidence of leaking seals, and unless you get up in there, you won't see it. It also gives you the chance to grab and shake the drive shafts, looking for sloppy U-joints or worn pinions. Also look for loose wires that are hanging, and not attached to anything.

I like to have a mental list of just about everything that is wrong with said vehicle and an educated guess about how much it's going to cost to get it back into shape before I even consider making an offer.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:17:58 PM »
another problem area is where the front axle torque bar attaches to the frame, check for cracks there, i had a 79 longbed with a crack halfway around the frame there with no suspension lift.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Well, I looked at the truck today!  First off, the people that own it, are friends of my step mom.  It's a 87 toyota std cab with the 22rte!  It has 202,000 miles on the motor, has a new head, has been well maintained, the driver of this rig checked the oil and everything every morning, and it uses a little oil.   It had a full service utility box on it, which explains the 89 toyota bed on it!  It has been sitting for 3 years and they tried to start it last spring, but the only way to get it to fire would be to put a little gas in the intake after the turbo!  I don't see any rust on the body of the cab and front end, just some small areas on the bed, but A flatbed would look cool!  Mostly, just some small surface rust on the frame, the front end looks like it has a small oil leak so I don't think there's any rust, or problems with dried bushings!  They drove this truck everyday until they got the newer truck.  The cool thing is they offered to tow it to my house if I buy it, and if I can't get it running and I decided that it's not worth my time, they offered to buy it back!  The truck is in good shape, just needs a good wash job!  They are only asking $1000.  They've had many people stop and want parts off it, and they said no, but you can buy the whole truck though, and nobody has!  They offered it to a couple of kids and they just didn't want to spend the time to make it run!  I'm seriously thinking I'm going to take it!  What's your opinions?  Should I take on a project?  It does burn oil, but a motor can be rebuildt, or hello 2/3rz!!!  Since the turbo comes with the good tranny!  If I do get it, I will be basically be changing all the fluids, and do a complete brake job all the way around.  One of the rear brakes is locked up!  And will be fun getting it apart!  Maybe I'll do a rear disc?!

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2006, 12:59:15 AM by cheesemaker »

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:55:13 AM »
:thumbs:  nice!! looks and sounds like a good score!
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »
TURBO  wahoooo!  I'd buy it!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:26:11 AM »
i'd go for it!
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:26:30 AM »
I'm the proud owner of this toyota!!  Now I've got something to put my Marlin Gear shift knob onto!  It ain't running but I can shift!!!