Author Topic: No Campfires? What will you cook?  (Read 5807 times)

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
No Campfires? What will you cook?
« on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:15:17 AM »
I was planning on burning beef on the fire  :flamer:, but with no fire :confused:

What kinda stuff are all you guys going to bring? I need some ideas.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: No Campfires? What will you cook?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
Well... grills are allowed with a permit right? :headscratch: Was plannin on bringin some steaks for Fri night...

Other than that, we're bringin some of those HUGE sammiches from Winco.  They're bigger than a foot long from subway only 3.49 each.. and they keep great if you half em and put em in ziploc bags... and of course the usual snacks :yupyup:

Oh, and of course the usual Friday and/or Saturday morning breakfast burritos :yupyup: Some eggs pre seasoned and put into a jar, diced and seasoned potatoes, sausage and bacon :yumyum: It ain't camping without our traditional breakfast burritoes :gap:
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2006, 10:21:59 AM by FordFreakChik »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
u can use propane grills, and stoves.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:22:50 AM »
WinCo has good samichs? Hmm was going to do Safeway or the usual but I think I'll have to stop by the WinCo. What about charcoal grills? I have a mini that I like to bring...is that ok? :shakehead: Prolly not
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »
WinCo has good samichs? Hmm was going to do Safeway or the usual but I think I'll have to stop by the WinCo. What about charcoal grills? I have a mini that I like to bring...is that ok? :shakehead: Prolly not

Oh ya... Safeway's 6" is $5.99, Winco's biggie is meat and cheese only but delish, and only $3.49 :yumyum: Better pick up some mayo and mustard packets, but they're worth it!!

Also, gotta have trail mix for the trail :greengrin:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:06:57 AM »
There was just a fire on the trail near Walker Hill. So, BBQ's are out as well as fire. Propane is good. There might be room on the grill in main camp but there is no quarantee there either.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »
There was just a fire on the trail near Walker Hill. So, BBQ's are out as well as fire. Propane is good. There might be room on the grill in main camp but there is no quarantee there either.

:woohoo: Mine's propane :hyper: Steaks will be ON!! :psss: or chickin.. haven't decided yet :gap:

RockSlayer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »
I'm bring a 2 burner Coleman Stove, I just wanted to get some idea's for Friday Dinner. I just don't think that steaks in a pan are as good as steaks on the fire.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2006, 02:20:22 PM »
I'm bring a 2 burner Coleman Stove, I just wanted to get some idea's for Friday Dinner. I just don't think that steaks in a pan are as good as steaks on the fire.

They're not, but if you marinade em way early and slow cook em on the griddle plate or whatever and cover it real good... :yumyum: I'll tell ya, I did it at Moonrocks and it hit home :yupyup:

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »
it has to be a propane or fuel stove no charcoal. it must be able to be shut off. check the forest service websites as well as CDF

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

LILGREENYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 84
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »
WE WERE JUST IN THE CON LAST WEEKEND WE GOT A TICKET AT BUCK ISLAND SO WENT TO THE SPRINGS KEVIN THE CARE KEEPER IS REALLY COOL THERE WILL BE THE BIG FIRE AT THE SPRINGS AND IF YOU PAY YOUR 35 BUCKS YOU DONT HAFT TO WORRY ABOUT COOKING SO PAY UP :thumbs:
CANT LOSE WITH 42'S

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »
WE WERE JUST IN THE CON LAST WEEKEND WE GOT A TICKET AT BUCK ISLAND SO WENT TO THE SPRINGS KEVIN THE CARE KEEPER IS REALLY COOL THERE WILL BE THE BIG FIRE AT THE SPRINGS AND IF YOU PAY YOUR 35 BUCKS YOU DONT HAFT TO WORRY ABOUT COOKING SO PAY UP :thumbs:

THEY ARE ONLY FEEDING US SAT NIGHT FOR DINNER.  THAT LEAVES A LOT OF OTHER MEALS OPEN FOR WANTING TO COOK

We're just boiling hot dogs on friday night, and having eggs in a bag (mix up the eggs and veggies and whatnot, then put them in a ziplock, and then put the bag in a boiling pan of water) burritos for breakfast sat morning.  Other than that, its sammiches :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2006, 01:27:59 AM »
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, a BigMike Trail Speciality.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2006, 09:04:06 AM »
Or you can also pre make your food - I got a zip lock bag of waffles ready to go. pull them out add butter and jelly and eat....

Another thing that I like to do is get cans of DintyMore Stew and heat that up over a single propane burner right in the can. they way you don't have to deal with pots and pans. But you have to remember the can opener or make sure all your cans have pop tops!

There are also MRE's that you can get for decent prices at military surplus store.

I also like to heat up bagels over the same single propane burner and butter them.

As for sandwitches - just bring a load of bread and your filling of choice and make them on the trail - no soggy bread that way.

Another thing that is great is to get those little apple or berry pies and heat them up over the same single propane burner using a weenie roaster stick for hot apple pie on the trail! Yummm

RockSlayer [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2006, 11:40:21 AM »
I forgot about MRE's. My friend is an active duty Marine, ( As opposed to me, an un-active Marine) Maybe he has a few stashed. I always had a few laying around when I was in.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
What no manifold cooking for ya guys?  I knew a guy who had a stainless box made that clamped to the exhaust of whatever he was driving for the day. (heavy equip operator)  Wrap up burritos in aluminum foil, and throw them in there for a while!  Canned food, always punch a hole in the can!  They got this set up for snowmobilers for hotdogs too!  It would be a great hot lunch on the trail!  Might as well put that heat coming off the exhaust to good use!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2006, 02:53:08 PM »
What no manifold cooking for ya guys?  I knew a guy who had a stainless box made that clamped to the exhaust of whatever he was driving for the day. (heavy equip operator)  Wrap up burritos in aluminum foil, and throw them in there for a while!  Canned food, always punch a hole in the can!  They got this set up for snowmobilers for hotdogs too!  It would be a great hot lunch on the trail!  Might as well put that heat coming off the exhaust to good use!

Been there, done that :thumbs:  Scrambled eggs that way too :yupyup:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
whats wrong with you guys?  a propane stove is a hell of a lot easier to cook with than a campfire and you can make alot better food.  Its pasta roni and quesadillas and burritos for me

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2006, 04:56:22 PM »
whats wrong with you guys?  a propane stove is a hell of a lot easier to cook with than a campfire and you can make alot better food.  Its pasta roni and quesadillas and burritos for me

I LIKE the way you think!! i'm bringin my propane stove, gettin a permit, and cookin up some steaks on friday night... big breakfast on sat and sun morning :yumyum:.  Got some Winco special sammiches, lots of water and sodas, some pringles and breakfast oatmeal bars, and of course Capri suns and a couple energy drinks :greengrin:
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2006, 06:09:56 PM by BigMike »

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:11:01 PM »
i'm bringin my propane stove, gettin a permit, and cookin up some steaks on friday night... big breakfast on sat and sun morning :yumyum:.  Got some Winco special sammiches, lots of water and sodas, some pringles and breakfast oatmeal bars, and of course Capri suns and a couple energy drinks :greengrin:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:39:16 PM »
I do my best cooking over an open flame, so I'm losing out on this one.  We're doing simple food, hotdogs, eggs, bacon, chili, sandwiches, etc.

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:48:41 PM »

Feel free to stop by for a bite Mike :wave: Got extra steaks just for that reason :thumbs: And plenty of potatoes and bacon :yumyum: