Author Topic: 22R HG/TC writeup?  (Read 2591 times)

not right

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -33
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22R HG/TC writeup?
« on: Mar 09, 2006, 07:07:53 PM »
I am having 'search' issues. :smack:
I need to replace the head gasket and will prob. do the TC in my 22R (1984).
 Is there a good writeup on this? I have never touched the engine. Its always ran flawless. :yesnod:
I guess I could just start ripping into it, but I know I would waste a ton of time since I havent done it before.
 I am sure its been beaten to death here SOMEPLACE, but I aint too compooter savy i guess. LOL :gap:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 22R HG/TC writeup?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2006, 07:56:25 PM »
not a problem

1st remove your exhaust manifold,  if you dont have a header this is a great time to install one, 
then  remove the intake manifold ,  i always leave the carb attached,  just unhook the throttle linkage and the 4 bolts on the bottom and 4 or 5 on top,  anyway  move it out of the way, 

now pull the power steering pump loose from the head, 3 bolts on the side and 1 on the front of the head,  and remove the distributor,  use a 19mm  and a hammer to remove the big bolt that holds the distributor drive gear on the end of the cam

now directly under that gear is a small puddle of oil,  in that puddle is a 12mm bolt head,  remove that then the head bolts and your head is ready to remove
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2006, 07:58:27 PM »
Be patient and help will come.  I've done heads but no timing chains yet.  My haynes manual was good enough for the head, showing the proper sequence and technique for loosening and tightening the head bolts so you don't warp the head.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2006, 08:37:22 PM »
i have done both the head and timing chain on my 22r.... the writeup i used for the timing chain is located here http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/EngineMods/TimingChain.shtml

head gasket is pretty straightforward, i didnt have an online writeup for that one, but i went and bought a Toyota FSM for my year truck and used that in conjunction with the Chilton's/Haynes manuals that are somewhat vague
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2006, 01:52:06 AM »
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173918
go about half way down good luck and dont forget the bolt directly under the cam gear. and when you pull the bolts for the front cover make sure u put them back in the same spot they are different lengths.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

not right [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2006, 03:33:08 AM »
thanks! I know I can do this.. :yupyup:
I share an old shopspace w/ a guy that can do it in 'nuthin-flat', but he decided to become a truck-driver, so he wont be around this weekend. He DOES have 2 or 3 22rs torn apart, laying all over the garage, so that might help a little too.

I guess I need to find a machine shop asap. It was wayyy up in the RED for a couple minutes, and about a gallon short on coolant. earlier in the day it was barfing beerfoam looking coolant out of the overflow hose onto the ground..I had been on my side alot that day on the trails, and thought I just lost alot due to the sideways action. LOL Now I betcha Im gonna get there tonight and find the coolant has oil in it (hence the foam) and coolant in the oil.. :gap:  oh well, gotta learn sometime!
 I'll get back to this thread tonight and postup my findings.

Keep up the tips If yall think of any! :blah:  :blah:  :help:

not right [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2006, 04:33:44 PM »
just got here and checked the rig...
nothing is wrong! YEEAAAAAAAAAAA! musta been just too much drivin on the side and maybe a bad rad.cap.
thank God! lol
Im gonna yank the old radiator I had just put in it and go back to the 6 cyl. rad. I had on before. I betcha that thing didnt help.

thanks for the help though, i am sure I will need the info sooner or later!!

BTW, coyote, come back to TX and lets do some wheelin. :)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »
just got here and checked the rig...
nothing is wrong! YEEAAAAAAAAAAA! musta been just too much drivin on the side and maybe a bad rad.cap.
thank God! lol
Im gonna yank the old radiator I had just put in it and go back to the 6 cyl. rad. I had on before. I betcha that thing didnt help.

thanks for the help though, i am sure I will need the info sooner or later!!

BTW, coyote, come back to TX and lets do some wheelin. :)
:smack:  dude, i so totally forgot you were in Texas :thud:   if burnyota  will get off his :moon:  i might come down soon
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way