Author Topic: Suspension opinions, Can anyone help me ???  (Read 2667 times)

Bones1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Suspension opinions, Can anyone help me ???
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »
Can anyone tell me what is the best suspension with the best flex to get. I have an 81 short bed, the bed is off the frame is bobbed to the rear of the shackles, it has a 1.5 tubed flat bed on it so there is not much weight back there. I am looking at both the Marlin trail flex kit and the Allpro extreme lift kit. I have read pros and cons for both. I am looking to get the whole kit including cross over steering etc. Can anyone point me in the direction for the best lift  and flex package?   Thanks.

OldschoolJay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension opinions, Can anyone help me ???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:55:59 PM »
put the rears up front and put some chevy's in the rear. will work great. then you can mess around with shackles. do some trimming as well in teh front and keep it low.

tt21

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -29
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
Marlin marlin marlin

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »
89- 95 rears up front and ranger springs in the rear inboarded dont run chevys in the rear the dont flex unless you have a lot of weight in the rear. marlin kit for sure if $$$ are no problem.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

GrenadedToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Maatt Daeemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 10:11:32 PM »
toyota rears in front mixed with izuzu trooper springs. then for the rear get 63" chevies and take out the over load and other leaves if you need to. make sure the spring pack has 3 leaves. that should be soft enough to get good flex out of them without much weight in back. ive heard good stuff about mazdas in the rear, then i heard they break.. :headscratch:

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:52:51 AM »
I am running 4in marlins up front and love um with ranger springs in the back..I've have mazda springs in the rear and they worked fine as long as you run a toy overload and add about 2 to3 leaves..you said your framed was bobbed..if you run marlin or allpro spring in the rear you will have to relocate your spring hangers and you no longer have the frame to do that  but you can always engineer a way to mount them
If it were me I would put 83  rears up front and mazda in the back....my brother runs the same setup with 38.5'sx14.50  sx's   and he has no complaints 
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

tj40ounce

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -262
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »
toyota rears in front mixed with izuzu trooper springs. then for the rear get 63" chevies and take out the over load and other leaves if you need to. make sure the spring pack has 3 leaves. that should be soft enough to get good flex out of them without much weight in back. ive heard good stuff about mazdas in the rear, then i heard they break.. :headscratch:

I think it really depends on the condition of the springs.  On my 3rd gen long bed, my 3 leaf chevy springs blow.  My truck is pretty light in the rear after the 13" bob job.  They are really stiff and don't nearly flex like my rears up front do. The springs came off of a low rider that never hauled anything (bed had zero dents or scratches).  And yes, my shackle angle, etc. is correct.

A buddy of mine with a full bodied runner runs the same spring and they are super soft.  Another buddy of mine has them on his p/u and said his are really stiff.  I've heard of others though that say they are really soft with their light weight rigs.  If I had to do it over, I would try and run some mazda's or something a little shorter that were a little softer. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:24:36 AM »
Marlin :usa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:26:26 AM »
marlin
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:31:39 AM »
I have 62" deavers in the rear that give me about 5.5" of lift, they flex really well. any they can take some punishment.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:47:24 AM »
All Pro.....

Nah, just kiddin, Marlin all the way :thumbs:
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »
You obviously will receive a biased opinion on the subject on this site [including me :turtle: ] but let me tell you a little story. Last night, we compared my freshly built 4 Runner (Marlin Trail Flex kit) with my friend's All Pro 4 Runner. These words came from my friend's mouth after looking at the springs: "Wow, the quality of Marlin's stuff is much better than All Pro."  :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

toynizzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 125
  • Member since Aug '05
  • wheel it till it breaks then fix and go again!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:33:43 PM »
well u cant ask that question on this board and not expect some kinda wise answer,just the nature of the beast,i am also in the market for the same thing as u and i will buy marlin's kit.better quality equipment and way way way better customer support and warranty,plus help on things they dont even have a thing to do with lol but thats just my dumb ass answer lol
85 xtra cab pretty stock for now but lots of stuff to come!!

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:37:30 PM »
I am not partial really, but I have built both kits. We put an All Pro kit on a 91 xcab, front and rear lift, and we put a Marlin on an 88 4runner. I have experience installing both, and I will give an honest and impartial opinion. Marlin's kit was easier to install, and it showed up quicker. The Marlin kit flexes better, and the All Pro kit flexes OK, but the rear was too stiff. The ride quality is better with Marlin, that I know for sure. Both trucks went to Paragon last year and I enjoyed the 4runner much better. I am going to try Sky's kit with mine, just to get the best of all worlds. For a third opinion, check there too.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »
 Besides the  :turtle: kit, your other alternative would be home brew springs. If you have fairly good fab skills and a little time for fine tuning you could build a suspension as good or better than whats's on the market :biggthumpup:
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

Bones1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 53
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »
Yea I know I should have expected the smart ass comments for asking about another product on this board. I could take the time and make my own springs but the fact of the matter is I really dont want to. The Ol' lady gave me the go ahead and spend the money so I figured I better do it before she changes her mind you know what I mean. I really do appreciate all the input...

Techtafab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:21:14 PM »
coils 4 link !! :shocking:
GEARED DOWN CRAWLERS

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »
Yea I know I should have expected the smart ass comments for asking about another product on this board. I could take the time and make my own springs but the fact of the matter is I really dont want to. The Ol' lady gave me the go ahead and spend the money so I figured I better do it before she changes her mind you know what I mean. I really do appreciate all the input...
You really can't go wrong with the Marlin trail flex kit. I have heard nothing but good about it, All Poo on the other hand :_oops:
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:38:42 PM »
Bones1, hey man;  I have never ran the Marlin or the All Pro springs.  But from what I know as far as what is said not only on this board but on pirate4x4 as well, Marlin springs are what you want.  :yesnod:

I hear time and time again that Marlin has excellent quality springs.  Even from people who have had All Pro.

Now I am going to eat crow on this one because if you look at my build up thread i am building my own spring packs.  But that is more a money issue than anything.  I just cant afford the Marlin springs let alone the All Pro springs. 

Can you get more flex out of a custom spring pack?  Sure, but you may not have the ride quality or reliability that Marlins can provide.

I would defiantly recommend the Marlins.    And please, don't let others give you the Idea that we don't respect All Pro.  I have had an ass chewing before, for talking :pokinit: about All Pro.  On this board.

Good luck on your decision and hopfully we wont have any discrepancy on this topic which at most times is inevitable.     :thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
If you've already bobbed that far I don't think you can run chevies.  I'd go rears up front and start measuring some rigs at the junk yard for the rears, you might be able to pull off some ford 2wd rears, but even those might be too long.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »
if you are thinking about asking this on another board I'll be the first to say don't post it on pirate or they will  :flamer:  you

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »
if you are thinking about asking this on another board I'll be the first to say don't post it on pirate or they will  :flamer:  you

And that's why I don't post anything on Pirate. Great research place, you can find anything if you search, but I refuse to post after what some people over there have done. They are just jerks for no reason. Search Pirate and can find anything.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER