Author Topic: Are these good tires?  (Read 5488 times)

ToyotaTom

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Locked and Loaded
    • View Profile
    • Toms Toyota
Are these good tires?
« on: Jul 15, 2005, 06:31:22 AM »
Just wondering if these are good tires for wheelin.  4wheelparts has a package of tires and rims for sale for under 1000 for 33's.  I know people like the super swampers, but not sure which one. These are the Super Swamper LTB.
Thanks,
Tom
1985 Toyota 4X4, SR5
Detroit Locker Rear
Electric Locker Front
Disc Brakes on all 4
8000xi Warn Winch

toyota boy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Are these good tires?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2005, 02:16:21 PM »
hell yea there good just keep them off the street(loud)
1985 4runner all pro 4" extreme lift, 35" pro comp mt's, downey header and cam

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2005, 02:27:39 PM »
good tires man

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2005, 05:29:09 PM »
Wish they would make em in  35x13.50 or so biggest size they have is a 34x10.50 :headshake: I really wanted the aggresiveness of this tire for the trail truck but the with put me off....now im looking at the 3613.50 IROKS oh the price for the LTB's is nice and the price for the 36 IROKS arent that bad their the cheapest Interco 36 tires
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2005, 06:26:20 PM »
Wish they would make em in  35x13.50 or so biggest size they have is a 34x10.50 :headshake: I really wanted the aggresiveness of this tire for the trail truck but the with put me off....now im looking at the 3613.50 IROKS oh the price for the LTB's is nice and the price for the 36 IROKS arent that bad their the cheapest Interco 36 tires
Swamper are you going to  Bias or radial and why ?

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2005, 06:27:28 PM »
Bias ply because they would be for a trail only rig....why whats up
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2005, 08:15:33 PM »
i have them on my '79 and they're pretty good(though a bit noisy, but duh, its a swamper), ride is smooth, and they're awesome off-road.   probably about 80% tread after 10k on my truck, i've heard all kinds of different tread life stories from these tires.  they suck in the rain, but siping would probably help.

mine are cupped to hell on the front, they'd ride a little better now if i had been proactive enough to rotate them once in a while.  i think i'm gonna get some MTRs for my next set, better suited to what i do(i stay out of the mud)

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »
Bias ply because they would be for a trail only rig....why whats up
I am getting ready to get the Irok 36x13.5/15 myself. I am still trying to decide  w/ the bias / radial decision myself. Mine is a trail only rig to but not a trailer rig so I still have to drive it to the trail.

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2005, 01:39:24 AM »
I went to www.discountpartcenter.com and found a 50,000 mile radial Kumho Venture MT, 35x12.5x15, $132.00, supposed to have really good traction on the rocks but be a good road tire as well, long lasting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Venture MT is an Off-Road Maximum Traction category light truck tire designed to provide "take you anywhere" off-road traction with "bring you home again" highway manners. The Venture MT was developed to meet the needs of pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers, as well as, off-road racers who desire maximum off-road traction.

The Venture MT features a cut, tear and abrasion resistant tread compound molded into a symmetric tread pattern comprised of large center tread blocks and alternating width shoulder lugs that provide the biting edges necessary to dig down, as well as, claw at the sides of ruts for added pulling power. On the inside, the Venture MT combines twin steel belts reinforced by nylon belt edge strips to enhance high speed stability and durability. Additionally, the polyester cord sidewall plies are reinforced with nylon to further promote durability.

Depending on size, the Venture MT features outline white letter or black sidewall styling. The Kumho Venture MT radial's LT-metric and rotation sizes are Q-speed rated and available in popular light truck sizes for 14" 15", 16" and 16.5" wheel diameters.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a fantastic price so i'm gonna order 5 so i have a matching spare...I know a guy who will cut 32 bolt beadlock rings on a laser table for $50.00 a rim, just have to get them welded on.

Then i'll need aussie locker(s), 4.88 gearsets front and rear, Longfield axles....lol, the never-ending story, huh?
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2005, 03:21:27 AM »
I wouldn't waste my money on Kumho tires.  I used to sell them to kids that couldn't afford real tires.  If your rig is a DD go with radials like the Goodyear, Swamper, or BFG.  If your rig is trail only, go with bias Swampers.  Bias have stiffer sidewalls which really help when you scuff the sidewalls up alot and don't tear as bad as radials do!  If you look at the tread depths on the radial vs bias swampers, the bias have more tread depth, anywhere from 2 to 4/32's more tread depending on size.  If you've never owned bias tires, be aware that they are rougher riding when cold, tend to where out in the center tread portion if your not watching your air pressure, and decrease your gas mileage to some degree.   One other thing about bias is that on the hwy they tend to heat up alot more than radials.  Hope this helps.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2005, 08:43:26 AM »
I am getting ready to get the Irok 36x13.5/15 myself. I am still trying to decide w/ the bias / radial decision myself. Mine is a trail only rig to but not a trailer rig so I still have to drive it to the trail.

Well how far are you going to be driving it...you see I have no problem on getting the bias ply because Devils Den is only like 10 miles from my house....so im not really concerned with tire life....and besides its not like bias ply tires are made out of gum youll get 20,000 miles out of a set

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »
Once a year I will do Barrett Lake so it is about a 250 mile drive. The rest are within 90 miles.

Truggy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Hammered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2005, 12:36:50 PM »
if interco makes it its a good tire
Building the CRUISER

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2005, 03:03:20 PM »

Aaaahhheeemmmmm...cough cough...Thornchickens...cough cough... :hammer:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
Well then I have a set of thornbirds that I know you'll just love.
As far as the ltb's go they are great off road however I once heard that
they wear like human flesh on the road and I would have to agree.
I know that the ssr's are way more money but they run great on the
street and kick ass offroad.
Just my 2 cents.
Roll me back over !!!

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »
what I would do the Birddog is that I would have 2 sets of tires and wheels keep some small A/T's buy them used or something then slap some cheapo rims on it and put those whenever you have to drive...then just have the LTB's on some wheels and slap em on when u get there....might be a hassel but thats what I would do 250 miles on LTB's is a lot...  :twocents:

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »
what I would do the Birddog is that I would have 2 sets of tires and wheels keep some small A/T's buy them used or something then slap some cheapo rims on it and put those whenever you have to drive...then just have the LTB's on some wheels and slap em on when u get there....might be a hassel but thats what I would do 250 miles on LTB's is a lot... :twocents:
This is what my friend does with his truck.
It is a hassel but keeps the gas cost down with the little a/t's.
Works good for him.
Roll me back over !!!

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2005, 06:56:03 PM »
Wish they would make em in 35x13.50 or so biggest size they have is a 34x10.50 :headshake: I really wanted the aggresiveness of this tire for the trail truck but the with put me off....now im looking at the 3613.50 IROKS oh the price for the LTB's is nice and the price for the 36 IROKS arent that bad their the cheapest Interco 36 tires

You're right Swamper, but they list a 47" that is "coming soon".  http://www.intercotire.com/site36.php
You might need to trim a little body though.

As far as the Interco tires go, I still had some life left in some SSR's after 45000 miles of DD and trail abuse.  Worked well off road, raltively tough, decent road manners but not the best in rain or frost/ice.  I had no additional siping.  Cupping was less than I expected.  No personal experience with the LTB's but the life is definitely an issue on road.  Thornbirds will last forever but everybody I know who've been unfortunate enough to own them, haven't owned them very long cause they sell 'em down the river.

If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2005, 07:51:42 PM »
i have them on my '79 and they're pretty good(though a bit noisy, but duh, its a swamper), ride is smooth, and they're awesome off-road. probably about 80% tread after 10k on my truck, i've heard all kinds of different tread life stories from these tires. they suck in the rain, but siping would probably help.

mine are cupped to hell on the front, they'd ride a little better now if i had been proactive enough to rotate them once in a while. i think i'm gonna get some MTRs for my next set, better suited to what i do(i stay out of the mud)

I stay out of the mud as well.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2005, 07:57:20 PM »
All I know is Ground Hawgs seem to never wear whatsoever.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2005, 12:57:32 PM »
On a yota they proly wont they are super stiff...made for heavy :moon: trucks our little trucks bearly put strees on them at all

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2005, 01:44:48 PM »
Ground Hawgs were the best mudder out there!  :king:  Your 4x4 wasn't finished if you didn't have Hawgs.  My uncle used to run the front tires backwards, to give traction when backing out of sticky situations.  They were the original bogger!!   :yesnod:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2005, 06:35:03 PM »
I know I love mine.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 19, 2005, 04:27:18 PM »
I was just looking at a back issue of offroad magazine and the cover truck was running Ground Hawgs. I was looking at the tread direction and all of that and they look like a good tire. How do they do in snow? I know the mud is good, also I wonder about the occasional rock pile. Have you ever aired them down? Just want to get an opinion. :whythis:
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 19, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »
i hear they're no good in the rocks, the tread compound is really hard.  hawgs, buckshots and gumbo mudders were big in the mud drag scene before boggers came along

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2005, 03:51:52 PM »
Ground Hawgs are tough as rocks, but not so good on rocks. I have aired mine down here and then and they do well Alabama terrain where we have an abundance of stumps, mud, and ruts, but I do ont believe they are that great on rocks. I don't really know though because we don't have many rock playgrounds around here. They are definitely super stiff though, for the most part.
mrkupfer@gmail.com