Author Topic: possible bad throwout bearing?  (Read 11747 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: possible bad throwout bearing?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:21:42 AM »
( looks like my masters degree in drawing has paid off :gap: )

So look at that above pic. The red area at the end of the transmission input plugs into the pilot bearing that is pressed into the back of the crankshaft.

Not every engine/trans uses a pilot bearing. My 4A-GZE & C52 setup in my MR2 does not use a pilot bearing. At the end of my trans input shaft, there is no little stub.

The pilot bearing just splits the load the Input bearing has when ever you are slipping the clutch. It helps keep the transmission input and the clutch disk in the same place at all times. A Pilot design is much better because it can dramatically increase the life span of the transmission input bearing.

Also, what about clutchless shifting?  I knowe how to do it, and I can do it, but is it good for the tranny?  
If you were to make every shift perfect, it would be good. But in general its bad. But I do it all the time. Since the trans is always connected to the engine, there is no differences in the gear speed to engine speed, so when you try to change gears, if you dont have the engine & gear speed at the same rpm, then the syncro will try to correct it, but since everything is still connected (the clutch is disengaged) the syncros cant do jack squat and so they get squeezed and then as you try to engage the gear, one gear is spinning faster than the previous, which is impossible to engage with a 1:1 shift hub, so it grinds and wastes teeth and puts metal into your oil.

But I do it all the time :) Just be sure to be consistent and DONT EVER force it. If you do this then you should be so good that you can engage it with just one finger and get it to go into gear. If you put pressure, then you are directly squeezing the syncros up against a piece of metal that is impossible to alter its speed.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki