Author Topic: taco needs some help(gathering parts, FINALLY got my axle)  (Read 22619 times)

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
Re: my new 95.5 taco needs some help
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
OK, well the reason i was checking in was my struts blew out the other day snow wheeling because iv been being hard on the truck for a while. i did a whole bunch of research on how to replace them and the cheapest way, because it was getting pretty sketchy and had to be dealt with.

here's some information on the mod that people are doing to this lift (they call it the Gabriel inversion mod). it works great and since the strut is a better brand people seem to have a lot better luck with these struts.
http://www.nwtoys.com/tech/trailmaster-inversion

here's the strut cartridges people are using...there from a 89 jetta. {http://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-G44774-Ultra-Cartridge/dp/B000E8UZB2} amazon.com is the cheapest place i have found them.  60$ gets you both of them and shipped. i couldn't wait so i ended up buying mine at autozone which i believe is one of the cheapest places besides ordering on the internet. from autozone they were 80$ for both.

took me about 3 hours to do, mainly since it was my first time. you'll see in the tech info that you have to grind a little bit of shaft end of the new struts. it will be more clear once you take the original ones off.

when i was doing the research i was still able to find a few companies that sell the TM original strut cartridges, but there 175$ EACH!

i just finished replacing mine today, and everything turned out perfect. no more clunking/weird noises, drives a lot nicer, and i feel confident enough to beat it up a little more. the old ones were both completely blown as far as pressure, and major play in the housing where the shaft slides. one of them also had some pretty intense heat rings on it.

good luck