Author Topic: 1982 rockcrawler/racecar  (Read 80853 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 1982 bobbed hilux "build"
« Reply #240 on: Mar 23, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »
Ive been VERY busy lately working on my truck.   i have a bunch more pics to put up... ill do that tomorrow.

DISCLAIMER: its a complete coinsidence that i added two different FORD products onto my TOYOTA at the same time :_oops:

i recently tore off my stupid chevy springs and replaced them with f150 4x4 springs. i tested them out and they work GREAT. i wish i had put these on instead of the chevy springs like 2 years ago. im going to set up a traction bar soon to eliminate all of my axle wrap on my rear axle.  ill show some pictures of them tomorrow all setup and finished.

i also decided to replace my dash and clean up my wiring harness.  i untaped the ENTIRE trucks wiring harness from headlight to headlight and took out all the dead wires that used to go to smog components and air conditioning and the old alternator. the wiring harness went from 50-60 wires to about 30. there used to be dead wires hanging all over the place under my dash and all over my engine bay. but now the only wires are the ones that need to be there. it looks way more clean now thats theres not dead plugs everywhere.  the inside of the truck should look nice with a GOOD dash thats nots hacked apart! it felt really good to tear into the harness and clean it all up and fix a bunch of connections. ill put up pics of this tomorrow.

a couple weeks ago, i also converted over to a ford 3G alternator.  its 130 amps and only has a couple wires to hook up and cost me 21$ from pick 'n pull and a 12$ belt from kregans.  i have some pics of this i will also post tomorrow.  it has a positive wire that goes to the battery, a ground wire, and a wire for the regulator that you hook up to an ignition wire.  VERY simple, all i had to do was make the brackets for it to mount up! i then proceded to remove ALL of the old alternators components and wires. that is what started me in on cutting the factory harness apart. with the way its setup now, the whole wiring setup is totally clean and everything works perfect! i actually impressed myself with how well i did on this whole wiring project. i used to hate electrical stuff and never attempt it.

SO...
tomorrow im going to tape up the last few connections and install my dash and heater controls and everything else.  after i get that stuff in, i will take some pictures to show how it was and how it is now! and ill take some pics of my alternator setup
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009, 02:17:37 AM by 82 HiLux »
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.