Author Topic: Question for all you shop owners?  (Read 6851 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Question for all you shop owners?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »
Basic 2wd oil change in $33 here full service,

You charge more for 4wd?

Upcharge on most diesel filters and canister filters.

I know how much the filters cost and most diesel filters cost no more than the average filter and canister/drop ins are not pricey either except in a few cases.  I do charge more for the diesel service since they do take longer to do and I offer fuel filter service too since it should be replaced at least every other oil change. I would have said every change but since low sulfur diesel came into play it is not as bad. I don't charge extra for any filter except in extreme cases.

Bulk oil here is Union 76,

Not a bad choice for a house brand, 76 is popular even as a brand name oil.

also offered is valvoline, Casterol, Quaker State, Penzoil for a $5 upcharge.

This is where I have issues with the oil change industry, I don't have a house brand Valvoline is it, there is no upcharge and I'm at 33.75.

Mobil high milage oil change is 47.99

$40.00 for Valvoline MaxLife. I also have Valvoline DuraBlend Semi Synthetic for $40.00 too.

and a mobil one is 64.99.

Valvoline SynPower $50.00

All are up to 5 quarts and then a charge for each additional. The bulk oil is a semi synthetic blend and is not crap IMO.

5qts. would be pretty standard, and I charge diesel by the gallon, 1st gallon free.

Walmart charges $18 for just oil and filter. $26 for full service....they use penzoil bulk and fram filters which are crap

I will agree that Fram is junk but Penzoil which had issues in the past with paraffin wax build up is just that in the past. Pennsylvania crude is very high in paraffin but is probably one of the sweetest crudes in the world, Penzoil worked very hard in developing their oils and removing the paraffin. In fact they now have a synthetic to rival Mobil 1 and is even going to give SynPower a run for its money.

We charge $32 for oil filter, check and top off all fluids, vacuum, tires and windows...
I believe it is a different customer base for those who go to walmart vs those who come here

True, that would be the same here.

Jiffy Lube is not part of Grease Monkey international, the one that is in town just opened and he can barely make ends meet and horror stories of filters blowing off and skid plate issues come our way all the time

But people still keep going there, mostly because their data base is nationwide. You can go to any JL in any state and if you've ever been to a JL you info on your car is there. Of course the real reason is so that any JL can see what has and has not been done to your car so they can try to upsale you.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you