Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 734712 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #720 on: Nov 04, 2004, 01:13:06 PM »
somethings wrong, sometimes i cant post anything, especially pics
Man I dont know why it's not working for ya..... It works everytime for me.
One thing I have learned is that the attachment limit of 150kb is the total combined total of all attachments attached. For instance, one 50kb file is ok, but if you try to attach four 50kb files at a time, then that's over the limit at 200kb, so it wont work..
But its worked flawless for me with any  jpg, gif, pdf, png, jpeg, or bmp that I've tried to upload......

Well they are so strict because this is an Engine swap, and any engine swap must be certified by a California State referee, which is a special smog station where it takes over an hour to do a complete comprehensive check on the entire engine related systems of the vehicle. These stations are special, ran by the government, and there are only about 40 of them state wide. About one per major area. Like maybe 5 or 10 here in the central valley, 15 or so down south, 15 or so up north, etc.. It's not like a typical smog shop where each city has maybe 50 of them and you can just walk up. The CA referee requires an appointment to be made and they go over every little detail of the entire engine swap to make sure its safe for use on the roads.

So now that I've got some time, here's the story of what happened in full detail.....
About my Smog attempt...... (long story)
So I picked up my gf and then headed out to Visalia around 2:10p on Wednesday. I got there wwaayy early, about 30mins early, but thought I would go check in just so I know where the place is at.

I pulled in and parked and this guy came out to greet me. I said Im a bit early but I just wanted to stop by. He said thats fine and that they could start on it then. So I popped my hood and opened it up.
I saw his eyes immediately gaze over at the air filter, and he said "oooooo I dont think we can use that air filter"
I said "yeah, I was afraid of that, as that is my only concern. The original air filter box was homogenous and would not fit; this is the only filter that I could fit."
He said "well what year is this engine?"
"It's a '95 T100 4cyl"
"Oh, well in that case its ok, you can use that air filter. Any engine before '03 is allowed to have any open element air filter they want"
........and I was really relieved and thought man this is gonna pass easily.

Then he called over another guy to get a 2nd opinion, and that guy was like "nope, this will fail. Can't use any aftermarket air filter unless its CARB approved (Cali. Air Resource Board).
The 1st guy says "Well it's a '95 so he's ok"
"Yeah but its got an air temp sensor right here (points to the sensor)"

The 1st guy was standing on the drivers side of my engine bay so he didnt see the air temp sensor. Apparently the law states that if their are no sensors in the factory air box, then you can run any kind of air filter you wish. But if there is even 1 sensor in the stock air box, then you are screwed and you MUST use the factory air box, or a CARB approved filter, like an expensive K&N kit or something..

Then the 2nd guy asks me, "If you're from Fresno, why are you coming to the Visalia ref?"
And I said "Well the Fresno ref is really picky and I didnt want to go to him, and I heard the Visalia ref is much nicer so I came here"
Then, get this, the 1st guy says "Fresno ref? Well that's me!" And Im thinking HOLY :pokinit:  :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :scared: :smack: And he's like "who told you I was picky?"

Man, I felt really bad and I apologized and told him that my friend took his truck to the Fresno ref about a year ago and he failed 4 times.

Then, check this out, both guys started to laugh and they informed me how the Fresno ref used to be Pat. Pat is a 60-something 30 year smog veteran who actually is a godfather of the entire California smog program! They told me that he even wrote some of the laws himself!! :ack: (I think we need to kill that guy) He retired just this summer and the guy standing next to me was the new ref in Fresno. SWEET! :booya:

And this guy is super cool. He even told me some tips about smog and was really really nice.

So I told the guys, "man Im in trouble then because the T100 is a full size truck and the filter box is huge and will never ever fit in this location."
Then the 1st guy tell me a little secret. "We get guys who swap in Vette engines. Well the vette has two air boxes that have long intake piping that place the air boxes in front of the radiator. But since there are sensors in the stock boxes, you cant change 'em. So he has guys take their hood off, have the air boxes stick over the radiator and hanging in front of the grills of their converted car/truck, and since hoods are not required for smog, as long as the stock intake system is fully there and everything is attached, then they pass the ref."

MAN CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GOVERNMENT bull crap?! IM TELLING YA THE SMOG PROGRAM IS A DAMN JOKE AND ITS JUST TO RAISE MONEY AND SO THE GOV CAN HAVE CONTROL OVER US !!!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGGGGGGGG :maddest: :maddest: :maddest: :maddest: :maddest: :maddest: :maddest:

So All I've gotta do is pull my hood off, attach the T100 air box which will rest above the pass. headlight, and then drive it over to the Fresno ref station and he said if everything else passes then its done. :best:

Since I was already in Visalia, they asked me if I wanted to have them run all of the tests since I was already there, it will fail because of the filter, but if everything else is ok then all I would have to do is return with the stock T100 filter box on and they would pass me.
But since you have to retest at the same place you fail, I told them why not just go to Fresno and have the one guy do it for me?
So thats the plan now. I called the ref appointment hot line and made an appointment for tomorrow, Friday, at 2:10pm, here in Fresno. :disturbed: And they took down my mileage, asked me a bunch of questions about the swap, checked a couple of things out under the truck, and he told me that since everything looks so clean that all he will do is just hook up the scanner and run the sniffer test. Should be a quick job. He said that he's seen so many ugly conversions where wires and crap are spliced all over the place and it takes 2 or 3 hours to check everything because it looks shady, but since my job is so clean and looks good, he said he might not even inspect the majority of it as long as the scanner passes.

So that's whats up. Oh, and about the "Sensor Lamp" as the check engine light, he said that's fine, It does NOT have to be orange, any color light is ok just as long as you Label it "Check Engine". So I am going to put some tape on and write down Check Engine and then im set.

Oh and for those who are curious if the Cat is part of an engine swap? It's not. Only if the engine is OBD-II, then you have to use a OBD-II cat. But for instance if I put in a pre-'95 engine, then I can keep the chassis cat on the exhaust and its ok. So if anyone tells you that you have to use the exhaust from the engine you are swapping, if its non-OBD-II, then that's :bull crap: and you can use any cat you want.

Man thats a long story. I feel sorry for you if you just read it! Here, have a :beer: on me! :slap:

If everything else goes well tomorrow afternoon, I'll have it passed and then im done. :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2004, 02:40:02 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki