Author Topic: SPELLING CHALLENGED READ THIS!  (Read 4598 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: SPELLING CHALLENGED READ THIS!
« on: Feb 12, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
du·al       /ˈduəl, ˈdyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[doo-uhl, dyoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or noting two. 
2. composed or consisting of two people, items, parts, etc., together; twofold; double: dual ownership; dual controls on a plane. 
3. having a twofold, or double, character or nature. 
4. Grammar. being or pertaining to a member of the category of number, as in Old English, Old Russian, or Arabic, that denotes two of the things in question. 
–noun Grammar.
5. the dual number. 
6. a form in the dual, as Old English git “you two,” as contrasted with ge “you” referring to three or more. 

du·el      /ˈduəl, ˈdyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[doo-uhl, dyoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -eled, -el·ing or (especially British) -elled, -el·ling.
–noun 1. a prearranged combat between two persons, fought with deadly weapons according to an accepted code of procedure, esp. to settle a private quarrel. 
2. any contest between two persons or parties. 
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 3. to fight in a duel. 

:blah: That is all.

One of my least favorites, from a Diesel Power article..."Twin Sequential Turbos"...first of all they are different, so they are not twin, they are dual. Even dual in unnecessary...since in order to be sequential you must have at least two turbos.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)