Author Topic: Spelling...  (Read 5192 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Spelling...
« on: Jul 11, 2007, 10:21:59 PM »
Doesn't seem to be important to a lot of people on message boards.  The sad thing about it is it's so often simple words.  Why?  Are we just so lazy we don't care or is it a total lack of pride?  Spell check is there to help you!  End :rant:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Spelling...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »
Doesn't seem to be important to a lot of people on message boards. 
Fragmented sentence, consider revising. :laugh:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
Grammar's not my forte :gap:  I'm not talking about a word here or there.  I'm talking about those who can't seem to complete one sentence without less than 2 spelling errors.  While I'm at it, how bout that poor old apostrophe?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2007, 10:55:29 PM »
yop i no eggzact lee wat u meen nee dawn n8 sum pee pole kent spill wort poopie  :gap:
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2007, 10:58:50 PM »
meh, sometimes I care, sometimes I don't. I'll get typing fast, and then hit 2 buttons at one time, and it screws me up.  Sometimes I catch it, sometimes I don't.  I've even gone back and looked at some of my posts, and then corrected spelling/grammer errors that were months old, because it bothers me when they're there. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »
I've even gone back and looked at some of my posts, and then corrected spelling/grammer errors that were months old, because it bothers me when they're there. 

Me too :yupyup: 
RIP KYOTA

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »
Okay,so what are some of the words you all see spelled incorrectly on this board,I mean often.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2007, 01:41:22 AM »
jsut=just

Is the most common one I see
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2007, 03:11:32 AM »
Common misspellings and typing errors don’t bother me; it’s when people start using slang, Swahili or Ebonics.  I’m not singling out any ethnic group either, as it seems everyone is doing it.

Examples:

Brifday
Dat
Pwned

On the other hand there is craigslist, where every other word is misspelled out of ignorance, by someone on presumably dial up internet access that just found the magic of the internet.

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2007, 05:48:03 AM »
Common misspellings and typing errors don’t bother me; it’s when people start using ... Ebonics. 

Examples:

Brifday

:psss:  Since this is the 2nd time I've seen you mention this, I just thought I'd explain that here on Marlin Crawler we say "Happy Birfday" as a pun on the word "Birfield," i.e. the "Birfield joint" which is pertinent to any 4WD.  In fact, you may find this article helpful as well as entertaining, as it does mention our fearless leader, Marlin Czajkowski:

http://tlc.off-road.com/tlc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=264288

:thumbs:
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2007, 07:22:36 AM by MrsPAtaco13 »
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2007, 06:49:54 AM »
I have trouble with the "ie...ei" words...I don't know if it's mild dyslexia or not, they just always look wrong to me.

ceiling, friend, etc.

I also have problems with just typing...not being a trained typist, I don't really know where my little fingers are going. I end up with: whit=with, form=from, teh=the, frist=first, speel=spell, etc. I try to type like I speak, which is sometimes friends sitting around shootin' the breeze, but I use an apostrophe when I drop a "G" on the end of a word. When it's something important, such as an explanation of how I feel on a political issue (y'all know I'm very political)...I end up sounding very anal because I want the reader to understand, if not agree with, my point of view.

Google's tool bar has a very quick, easy spell check feature that works on every web form I've tried. Grammatically, I don't know a dangling participle from an adverb (I was stoned throughout most of my last few years in school, it's embarrassing how early "my senior year" was), so, I trust my instincts on what sounds right.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
I think we do tend to type in the same way that we speak, in that when we're in a more relaxed environment with friends we get a little lax.  Obviously if you're in a professional situation you would speak more properly.  These forums are typically a relaxed environment, and I know that I often get a little lazy and end up typing things in ways that I fully know aren't correct.  As long as it's understandable, I really don't think it matters.  I think when it happens with simple words it's usually a case of speed-typing.

Unless it's nearly illegible, I try not to give people too hard of a time about it.  I know there are indeed many people who just don't do well with english (not that they are foreign, it just isn't a strong point for everyone), and they do struggle and worry that they "look dumb" and therefore don't contribute as much as they'd like to.  I'd hate to make a perfectly hard-working 4WD enthusiast feel inferior just because his/her english isn't that great.

an das wat i hafta say about dat!   :rofl:

:cheese:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
Sure, spelling and grammar are one thing but what about proper word usage. Even the simple ones like "to" and "too" or "there", "their" and "they're" along with many others (even if I'm guilty of this mistake from time to time).  Is it just too much to remember?  I do understand a misspell because of keyboard issues or just plain being in a rush. I agree that sometimes it's just a simple matter of lack of pride even for something so slight (I wouldn't say simple, we are speaking of English).

One thing I've always remembered about writing as we speak is basically 'don't do it'! I know I'm not the most versed in proper writing technique and sentence structure but I do make the best of a free education. Although, my parents might disagree about how "free" that actually was  :cheese:.

Also, with many years as a practitioner of Smart-assology I've come into my own as a rather cunning linguist  :gap:.  My wife really hates it when I ruin the words to songs she likes  :slap:, so she quit telling me that she likes a song thats playing. Heck, even movies aren't safe with me... :lipsrsealed: I just can't help myself. Now she anticipates something I might say so I don't even have to say anything.  :lipsrsealed:  :haha:

I think it's rather sad that our schools haven't had a better hold of our youth in regards to their education for their futures.  I guess maybe teachers should get better pay to give them the incentive to do a better job. Afterall, often times they're just babysitters for some parents.

Call me anal but does texting seem to be an excuse for blatant misuse of spelling and grammar to convey a message or thought?  It bothers me that the youth these days can't spell to save their lives and then they'll criticize someone for not understanding the text language or for fully spelling out a word or phrase in a text message... :screwy:  :headscratch:  :hammer:

Just     'member      dat      Sum     werds     ar     fer     funn      ann      ar     Otay     tu     misspeel!    :gap:  :gap:  :gap:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »
Call me anal

Ok...you're anal! Is that better?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »
Ok...you're anal! Is that better?
Yes, thank you!  I needed that!   :ladys-man:  :beerchug:   If one is anal does that mean he's an  :moon:?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »
Yes, thank you!  I needed that!   :ladys-man:  :beerchug:   If one is anal does that mean he's an  :moon:?

Not at all! I am proudly anal about details, quality, etc. I say revel in your analosity. Shout it from the highest hill!

It just so happens that I am an ass also! I am a renaissance man!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
Great minds think alike!
Not at all! I am proudly anal about details, quality, etc. I say revel in your analosity. Shout it from the highest hill!

:clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:   :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »
funny you bring this up kneedownnate... I shake my head sometimes at the spelling on this board and then sometimes contribute it to having alot of younger people on the board   :dunno:   .........or people who really don't care.

My grammar is probably horrible... but majority of the time I try and spell things correctly at the least.

:twocents:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2007, 11:26:47 AM »
funny you bring this up kneedownnate... I shake my head sometimes at the spelling on this board and then sometimes contribute it to having alot of younger people on the board   :dunno:   .........or people who really don't care.

My grammar is probably horrible... but majority of the time I try and spell things correctly at the least.

The bad thing is...my stuff makes sense to me, but I'm abnormal!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »
I try and spell things correctly at the least.

Key word here! Most people don't even seem to put that much effort into it... :dunno: I have more respect for someone who's willing to try. :thumbs: Even at the cost of being wrong or to ask for help.  :beerchug: Be it spelling or anything else, but do try first.  :think:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2007, 11:54:46 AM »
thanks for the heart to heart Dr.Phil   :talkingn:

j/k
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
thanks for the heart to heart Dr.Phil   :talkingn:

j/k

How rude!  :laugh:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2007, 12:06:55 PM »
thanks for the heart to heart Dr.Phil   :talkingn:

j/k

How rude!  :laugh:
Yeah,  my name's not Phil!   :ha_ha:  :hahaha:  :joke:  :slap:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2007, 12:58:54 PM »
Wow, this thread shur grew fast. LOL
I have to agree though. I don't know that I care that much when other misspell so badly, I guess I just :shake:  at their ignorance or lack of caring but it bugs me when I see it in my posts.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2007, 01:00:03 PM »

analosity!! :rofl2:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
analosity!! :rofl2:
Wouldn't that be analence?   :haha:  :funny:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2007, 02:06:10 PM »
I have noticed it, and I try to fix any mistake I might have made. 

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
Wouldn't that be analence?   :haha:  :funny:

Analessence...maybe, or would that be something else? 

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »
Wut , wa caint help it dat dem der techers didnt learn us Arkie boys no bedder!

I do use slang in my post, even more lately, becouse I feel excepted for me. You can be an anal ass all ya want couse we except ya for who ya are and what you do.

I do think that some people percieve me as a redneck or a hillbilly, if only becouse I'm from Arkansas. Most of the time those same few ignore my post. Well I guess all of the above is true.

I also think that people have gotten lazy, or that some have percived the misspellings as ok, so others just jump on the wagon.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
Then along comes Topar that fool just cant spell!  Luckily he has spell check for just about everything  :thumbs: