Author Topic: Spelling...  (Read 5193 times)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Spelling...
« Reply #30 on: Jul 25, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
one more:
Barley: Lifesblood of beer
Barely: almost

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 26, 2007, 07:20:39 AM »
What are y'all making fun of unky j for.  :rofl2:

On a side note the "ie" vs "ei" thing,just remember "i before e except after c"
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2007, 07:30:25 AM »
What are y'all making fun of unky j for.  :rofl2:

On a side note the "ie" vs "ei" thing,just remember "i before e except after c"

It sounds so simple...but it has always looked wrong to me (mild dyslexia).

Examples:
i before e
except after c
or when sounding like a
as in neighbor and weigh
(Here a is [eɪ].) This includes many of the exceptions but still fails to correctly handle many others, such as protein.

and:
when the sound is ee
it's i before e
except after c
(Here ee is [iː].) This excludes most exceptions, as well as excluding some words (e.g. friend) which are correctly handled by the American version. The most frequent everyday failures of the British form of the rule are seize, caffeine, protein (here -ein(e) was originally pronounced [iː.ɪn]) and, for those who pronounce the initial vowel sound [iː], either and neither. Weird and weir are often listed as exceptions, though the pronunciation of -eir in Received Pronunciation is [ɪə(ɹ)] rather than [iː(ɹ)]. Inflections of words ending -cy (fancied, policies etc.) are exceptions for those with happY tensing accents, who pronounce the -cies/-cied endings [siz]/[sid]/rather than [sɪz]/[sɪd].

Few common words have the "cei" spelling handled by the rule: verbs ending -ceive and their derivatives (perceive, deceit, transceiver, receipts, etc), and ceiling. Many words spelled with ei are pronounced [iː] in America but not Britain (e.g. sheikh, leisure, either have [eɪ], [ɛ], [aɪ] respectively). In these cases, the British pronunciation is a corollary of the British rule (i.e. when spelt ei, the pronunciation cannot be [iː]).

In summation...I'll stick to my trusty google spell check tool! In addition to my dyslexia, I misspell words when my little digits commence to flying 'round the keyboard at dizzying speeds, I just transpose a few letters.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
Spell check is fine, but just to add I have seen instances where someone has spelled a word correctly but it was the wrong word. Spell check did confirm the word was spelled correctly but it can't determine the correct word useage in context.

For example:  The word was supposed to be 'ridiculous', instead he wrote 'ridicules'. Honest mistake I guess... :dunno:

Which brings me to my next point............PROOFREAD.... :slap:

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 26, 2007, 08:04:46 AM »
OK but seriously, everyone needs to understand that not everybody has the KNACK for the english language!  It really is intricate and difficult.  It doesn't mean they are stupid in the least.  I know alot of people who just weren't privileged to get a college education, or for whatever reason they just aren't that great at knowing which words are correct and/or how to spell them.  DAMN hard workers and good contributing members of society.  So what if they don't write the most perfect paragraphs?  Maybe their professions don't require proper english and spelling, and it was never something anyone ever really worked with them on.  It doesn't make them any less valuable.  It just breaks my heart to see good-hearted people who are actually leary about contributing and participating in a forum like this for fear of "looking dumb" and getting things wrong.  Loosen up people!  :shake:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 26, 2007, 08:37:18 AM »
OK but seriously, everyone needs to understand that not everybody has the KNACK for the English language!  It really is intricate and difficult.  It doesn't mean they are stupid in the least.  I know alot of people who just weren't privileged to get a college education, or for whatever reason they just aren't that great at knowing which words are correct and/or how to spell them.  DAMN hard workers and good contributing members of society.  So what if they don't write the most perfect paragraphs?  Maybe their professions don't require proper English and spelling, and it was never something anyone ever really worked with them on.  It doesn't make them any less valuable.  It just breaks my heart to see good-hearted people who are actually leary about contributing and participating in a forum like this for fear of "looking dumb" and getting things wrong.  Loosen up people!  :shake:
   Agreed!  :yesnod: English is a difficult language to master and by no means have I completely mastered it but then again I don't have a college education either, in fact, I dropped out of high school and even left continuation high school with miserable grades  :gap:. I've had to work my  :moon: off to get where I'm at today. Most people would think that I should not be as educated as anyone who did finish high school or go to college. But all educations are not acquired in a classroom.
   Even if these people did attend a college the real question is "did they learn anything?"  I don't find that our rantings on this topic is a means to look down on anyone here now or in the future. It's just I hope more to encourage others to know what they can achieve if they just try, even if our words have not been the most encouraging. 
   My apologies to anyone that has taken my words in offense, that is not my intent here. Please keep posting, While I may be able to spell with fair accuracy I can also read (despite my short lived education) and make out your thoughts and I'm not going to make corrections to your post as I'm not an English teacher... :grad:
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007, 12:08:41 PM by fordh8r »

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 26, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
The other thing that bugs me about people posts is when they don't use paragraphs, and everything is just one long post.

It's really hard to read it all like that.

:disturbed:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 26, 2007, 12:07:07 PM »
Yeah!     ....Wait....who....?   :whistle:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 26, 2007, 06:06:13 PM »
Yeah!     ....Wait....who....?   :whistle:

:whistle:   :psss: double spacing is nice.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 26, 2007, 09:35:49 PM »

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 26, 2007, 09:45:03 PM »
i dunno i sometimes think people just dont care but then i dont think they think and that can be bad like when you come to a light and it turns yellow and you have to decide whether or not to go and you just do it without thinking it can be bad then sometimes i look up when its raining and forget to look down and i almost drowned which would suck cause then i just wouldnt just drowned but would fall down which would hurt if i wasnt already dead then id prolly get run over by somebody driving through a yellow light

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 26, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
i dunno i sometimes think people just dont care but then i dont think they think and that can be bad like when you come to a light and it turns yellow and you have to decide whether or not to go and you just do it without thinking it can be bad then sometimes i look up when its raining and forget to look down and i almost drowned which would suck cause then i just wouldnt just drowned but would fall down which would hurt if i wasnt already dead then id prolly get run over by somebody driving through a yellow light
:conf:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 27, 2007, 04:25:50 AM »

:rofl:

Where is the Mammoth?

bikerboy666_69

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 07, 2007, 06:49:12 PM »
sorry if ive been 1 of those people... not the greatest speller and if it looks right spellcheck just seems like to much work haha
Buckle up, I wana try somthing  :bud: Born Crazy

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 07, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »
sorry if ive been 1 of those people... not the greatest speller and if it looks right spellcheck just seems like to much work haha

Don't think you've been here long enough for us to judge you yet.. give us time... :disturbed:

Where is the Mammoth?