Author Topic: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!  (Read 218412 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!
« Reply #150 on: Jun 09, 2006, 10:42:33 PM »
I've gotten more chances to drive my truck around, and here are my thoughts...

With the bed empty, it really isn't that bad at all. Once the suspension loads, I've found it to react rather stable, although it is definitely easy to get inside tire spin now while cornering.

But I had to carry some parts across town, that really wasn't all that heavy, and let me tell ya, the truck really rolls around and is pretty loose. I am worried about how its gonna feel in the mountains with a full load of gear back there. Especially the way I drive. I often forget that I am in a 25 year old carbureted truck.

Next on the list is to get my cooling fan back in there. Remember, ever since I did the Supercharger install, I have been driving it around without any kind of cooling fan, not mechanical nor electrical. That is now over two months of constant daily driving without any engine fan what-so-ever. Its not that I recommend doing this, or that I want to do it, but its because I ran into a huge belt and pulley dilemma when I installed the SC, and I just have not resolved it yet. Of course the truck is in NO WAY ready to go wheeling without the fan!! So with Rubicon just two weeks away, I am going to get the fan back on, hook my Power Steering Lock Idle up circuit back up, and replace the high-side fuel line that feeds the fuel filter, since the used Supercharger did not come with the TuRD-supplied replacement fuel line. Yes, I had to improvise on that too :smack:

So I figure while I am down there, I might as well replace the fuel filter since that has been on there for two years now, approaching 30,000 miles. Might as well change it just for shits and giggles.

I am still waiting for the fuel computer to come in the mail, so I am hoping that comes this next week so I can get it installed and start tuning my ECU *finally*

And I really want to get my boost and water injection pressure gauges mounted into the dash and install a clinometer that I have had forever, so I am going to spend some time on my interior and get it all cleaned up before Rubicon as well.

I don't think I will be doing any work this weekend, I've got other plans, so you'll have to wait until Monday night for any updates.

Until then, I decided to take some on-road video footage :clap2: from inside the cab on my way home. Here are two videos of me going from 0 to 85 MPH:

It was difficult because I had to hold on to the wheel and the camera at the same time, and believe it or not, I also had a Starbuck$ Grande Ice White Chocolate Mocha :yumyum: between my legs on the seat. I smelled the clutch after that first video. :headshake: I would like to have a friend ride with me who could hold the camera more steady and get a better angle as well. I'll have to get TURBO to come over next time and help out :thumbs:

It's hard to tell from the video, but it seems that 0-85 is somewhere around 16-17 seconds.

As you can clearly see in the first video, my boost comes on quick to 3psi @ about 3,000 rpm, but then it takes it all the way until about 5,200 rpm to get to 5 psi.

I am trying to locate a cutting bit that has the same serpentine belt grove angle so I can put my pulley in our lathe and turn that sucka down a bit more. It's currently at 2.9", and I know that with a slightly smaller pulley (like ~2.6") it will do much better. Anyone here wouldn't happen to have TRD 3RZ Supercharger experience by any chance? I am really curious how another unit compares to mine. I hope its not my blower :nerv:
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2006, 01:28:53 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki