Author Topic: Project "Black Dog" Revived  (Read 9249 times)

82rustbeast

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 318
  • Male Posts: 500
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Project "Black Dog" Revived
« on: Jan 06, 2007, 11:30:28 PM »
    Okay this is my Second Toyota. My Last one was an 82, hence the name "82rustbeast'. It wasnt that rusty, it just had a bit on the floorboard. I thought it was a cool name. So I got stupid and decided to ditch part of school one day just to watch "Harold and Khumar Go To White Castle". So I got caught and since it was really my dads truck just givin to me, he sold it.

This thing was in so much better condition than my current one. I picked up this 82 from 84rocktoy. It was sitting in his brothers yard. So I got it for $650 delivered and Not running. I spent a week trying to get it going. It would turn over but not fire. I was getting pretty irritated. So my uncle, who never comes over unless he wants something, just happened to stop by looking for something. I asked him to help me because he one of the best Shade-Tree Mechanics I know. He took a quick look, and saw that the coil wire was cut. So he had me connect it and try to start it again. It started up. I thought this was so awesome, I'll have this thing going in no time.

Not true, it ran like crap, and I couldnt figure out why. I took it to Autoshop and worked on it there every day for 2 1/2 months for about two hours. During that time, I got all of the lights working. None worked at all before that. I went to Chico Self-Serve to pick up a fender to replace the one the guy took for a part. It costed $40 and it has a couple small dents in it. Pretty noticeable ones too. It was a rip off. But I bought it anyway. Then I replaced the Master Cylinder and Starter. I did a complete tune up. Thers a lot more details but I dont want to really write every single tiny detail, except the Super-Dooper-Cool $5 Flat black Paint job.

So heres some pics starting with the night I got it

The fourth pic is my old pickup. Gotta love that longbed look.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007, 11:29:04 PM by 82rustbeast »

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Now heres some pics after I fixed it up a bit at school. I drove it to school without brakes. I used the E-brake to stop which really didnt work go anyway. Pretty scary ride. It looks a lot better with the paint job. I also slapped a cherry bomb 2 1/4" glasspack on it. Made it sound way better.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Heres how it sits now.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Now I really need help. This thing doesnt run right. I was wondering if someone could come help me this next weekend  (1/13 or 1/14).  I dont have anything to give but I sure we can figure something out. It idles high and I dont know what else to do. It starts right up though. Can anyone help?

DISREGARD ABOVE. NO HELP NEEDED
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2007, 08:56:21 PM by 82rustbeast »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
sounds like the carb is ALL out of whack
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
It might be, I'm going to have my uncle come take a look and see if he can help me.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
I would check the timing before messing with the carb. Definately don't want to make a bad situation worse. Nice score though ,all these 1st gens are makeing me wish I had built one.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I would check the timing before messing with the carb. Definately don't want to make a bad situation worse.

:werd:

Nice name for the truck by the way :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I'm starting to agree with 79coyotafrg, the carb probably is out of whack. With my last carb, it actually idled, but it would put-put fluctuating by about 200 RPM's. Then this new one, I rebuilt imediately. It was claimed to be rebuilt by the guy who sold it to my seller. He was going to use it but went to fuel injection. Then it wouldn't idle low anymore. So now I'm getting one that I know worked good that came off of a running pick-up. If that doesnt work, this thing's gone! I cant keep throwing money into it and not get anywhere.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Need to get a timing gun first. I dont get it though do you set the timing to 0 TDC and the distibutor vaccum advance thing advances it to 8. Or do I set it to 8 to begin with?

Oh yeah. Stolen Name, didnt even think about that   :yupyup:

I'll try to post a video of it running with the old carb tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2007, 08:42:40 PM by 82rustbeast »

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Set it to 8 off the bat.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Thats what I thought.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
so, did you figure it out?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I didnt get time to work on it today.   :down:  Maybe I'll get time tomorrow. But what about my EGR. That line that goes up to the EGR vacum modualator, the metal line, was clogged with black nasty crap. This was last week. I tried to clean it out with carb cleaner, I tried to clear it by sticking bailing wire into it. And even blowing into it with the compressor on the engine mount side. But it's still plugged up. Could that be a possible cause? Or can I take off the EGR all together and run the engine without it?

Here's a link from when I had the old carb on. It sounded like it was idling down where it was supposed to be unlike my curent one.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1704454259

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Well, I borrowed a timing Light and tried to set it. But it wasnt right because the timing advances as the RPM's get higher. So I just put the crank at the 8 mark and lined to rotor to the #1 spark plug. But the timing was never off. Today I decided to combine my old cleaner carb main body with the new carb thinking it would help but now the truck wont start. Gotta keep thinkin

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Well, I borrowed a timing Light and tried to set it. But it wasnt right because the timing advances as the RPM's get higher. So I just put the crank at the 8 mark and lined to rotor to the #1 spark plug. But the timing was never off. Today I decided to combine my old cleaner carb main body with the new carb thinking it would help but now the truck wont start. Gotta keep thinkin

the timing is supposed to advance as RPMs increase.  Base timing should be 5* BTC for stock, or bump it up a little (8* max if it is an old engine) or up to 12-15 if it's a newer build.  power will increase and mileage will decrease.

If you want to dry-time it, put the crank at 0* (piston @ TDC), the cam with both lobes down(about 4:30 and 5:30 on the lobes) and drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing towards the advance unit, then fire it and hit it with the light.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Only update is I might be gettin a good carb from 75 toy. The one that came on the truck was questionable and the one I rebuilt was my first time rebuilding a carb. I didn't think I did anything wrong though. This problem is driving me crazy  :willynilly:.
If the carb doesnt help, Im selling this thing. I dont have the money to do extensive work. Plus I need a drivable vehicle within about a month.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Don't name it Black Dog, that's a horrible name, who would be named Black Dog!!!!!!!

Oh, wait, nevermind... :greengrin:

Do you have a black dog, or are you false adveritsing like BlackDog?

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I guess I am false advertising. I dont own a black dog, let alone a dog.

I had just finished listining to "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin while working on the truck and it just stuck.

A friend of mine suggested the name "Turd," but I don't want to drive a turd around. Would you?

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Only update is that I'm gettin some free carbs and parts from a dude around here who races toy 2wd's. Hopefully theres a good carb in the bunch

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Well I got a carb from the dude. But its pretty dirty, but it looks like it'll work a lot better than the one on my truck. I'll get it all cleaned up in Auto Shop tomorrow and see if I can get it goin after school. I'm hoping this'll solve the idling problem.

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Cleaned the carb a little and put it on the truck. It runs now and can idle down to 700-800 where it's supposed to. But I still need to readjust the valves cus one of them is knocking so that should also help it run better. I think this truck has a chance. Plus I might not have to get rid of it because I scored a good running registered 80's Mazda B2200 2wd for $50 and a case of beer. So I'll drive that for now and keep workin on the yota. Things are finally starting to look up. :biggthumpup:

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Well after many failed attempts to sell this thing, I finally decided to keep it. Last week I started working on the truck again and had some thougths going through my head as to why the truck ran like crap.

My uncle had mentioned the Fuel Stop Solenoid to me a couple weeks ago saying that it clicks when the ignition is on.
So I checked it and it wasnt clicking. So I Wired the Solenoid straight to the battery and heard it click.

So then I decided to fire up the truck and it ran so much better. I could lower the idle to 500 RPMs without it dieing. So I have some newfound faith in this thing.

I have some old Mitchell Professional car/truck repair manuals. They have schematics of the full wiring harness and smog line for each specific years. I have a 81 nd 82 repair and tune up manual which contains the wiring diagrams. Then I have 4 books on the emissions equipment. Theyre pretty detailed. So I started lookin them over and decided to rewire my emissions computer.

The thing is, is that I have a 1981 california 2wd Toyota pickup wiring harness in my truck. But it has federal smog stuff on the motor and the vin plate in the door says federal.

Without a federal emissions computer properly hooked up, theres no chance this thing will smog. So I went and bought a federal computer at the local pick n pull. The Federal computers have a 13 pin connecter with 12 wires in them, and the california computer has a 17 pin connecter.

I started taking notes on what wires from the cali cpu I could get rid of and what ones I need to add for some of the smog equipment.

I pulled the dash off today and labled all the wires that I need. I then checked all my VSV's and all the other smog stuff too to make sure it worked. I also had to get another EGR valve from the Pick n Pull, because mine was completely plugged.

And tomorrow Im pulling out the wiring harness and pulling all the wires that I dont need and wiring up the new VSV wires that arent there.

It all sounds pretty complicated but its not. All Im mainly doing is taking out 5-10 wires and adding two. Hopefully it works.

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow though.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007, 11:21:18 PM by 82rustbeast »

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Project "Black Dog" Revived
« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »
Got the wiring harness out last night. It wasnt that hard. I started labling everything, and will be ready to rewire tonight. I'll post up pics later

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2007, 11:47:01 PM »
I pulled out the wiring harness last night. It wasnt that difficult. The difficult part came after when I had to find out what all the mystery wires were.

I found all of the wires that I need to wire up the computer, but something is concerning me. When I bought the computer, I brought it home and opened the cover to discover that it was packed with dirt.

So I scraped the computer face off with a wire brush. In the process of doing that, I accidently scratched the chip itself, you know the green part. SO hopefully it wont affect how the computer works now.

Tomorrow night, I plan to wire up the federal computer, and patch up a few other wires. Hopefully all go's well. I hope to have this truck running well by the weekend.

One quick quesion for everybody too. The wire going to the Outer Control Vent on the carb, is the wire supposed to be a ground, or a positive?

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jul 24, 2007, 12:17:17 AM »
having trouble getting pics up

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
OK. An update is long overdue. About a month ago, a buddy of mine had an 87 2WD Toy with an Automatic. I kept tellin him if he was going to sell it or wrecked it.

So one week later I missed a Monday at school. When I got into Auto Shop 1st period on tuesday, I saw his truck in the Shop yard wrecked. I felt pretty bad because of what I said. I told him I wasnt hoping for him to wreck it. He had ran straight into a tree trying to drift around a corner.

So from what I first saw, the front of the frame was now bent in and it pulled the sides of the frame closer in together, rendering the frame trash. I told him there was no hope without spendin some money.

So we agreed for him to take $200 for the truck. Now the engine was still good. The only problem with it, the fan clutch shaft was bent, and no damage to the water pump.

So I started with pulling out the whole wiring harness from the cab forward and I finally got the motor and tranny pulled together on Friday. I'll probably try to sell some parts from the truck that are still good, such as the bed, maybe cab, and title.

The reason I wanted the motor and wiring is because my wiring has been patched and cut up a few times too many, plus the ECU isnt even the right one, making the truck not smoggable. Plus the motor is just about to blow or something of the sort.

The new motor has less than 200K on it, the wiring is in good shape and it passed smog with flying colors back in May.

I'll also just use my L45 tranny on it til I can get a W or R series one.

I'll try to get some pics of the current progress when I get back to school next week.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:21:39 PM »
sounds like a fun project :biggthumpup: good luck gettin it runnin right and rewireing and that crap :yesnod:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

82rustbeast [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:29:04 PM »
The only thing I might actually have to rewire is the  connecter under the passenger seat that controls stuff like the tail lights. Im just puttin in the whole 87 harness (non EFI)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2007, 11:36:12 PM »
thats kinda nice not having to rewire the whole truck, a little wireing is okay but when its a huge project it sucks :yesnod: hopefully thats all that has to be done.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS