Author Topic: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!  (Read 218410 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!
« Reply #150 on: Jun 08, 2006, 02:13:04 AM »
They just don't really seem to be doing much.... It must be because our springs have such a strong front section (for axle-wrap control, we've added an extra 1/4-ellipt).

But when you sway the truck back and forth, MAN!!!!! THEY REALLY MOVE!!!!!!! I need to take a video of it because it is pretty crazy to watch.

So basically I softened up my spring pack and also installed pivot blocks at the same time. I drove it up and down the street and if I take a hard corner while on the throttle, I can easily get inside wheel spin much much much sooner than before. As for an emergency lane change, sheesh, I hope I never have to make one of those! This thing sways and dives all over the place, yet it feels very solid and definitely controllable? Strange.. All of my shackles and bushings are good and tight, it's just that I have a soft spring pack with a sweet pivot system.

Of course I am definitely happy with the results thus far. The rear suspension is much much smoother and it takes off camber bumps, such as entering a steep driveway at an angle, much smoother and less noticeable. My rear suspension has always jarred me around, unlike the front, so I am very happy with how it rides now.

Now I just need to address my front shocks bottoming out under articulation. There is still more flex to be had in the rear, but the front end bottoms out so soon that the rear is doing all of the work just to keep the down side tire on the ground.

So next on my list is to raise my engine up a good inch or so, build an angled drag link, and probably pull out the 14"s and go with 12"s in the front. I dont want to do that, so I will just see how things go next time I pull out the tool box and get down to business. :flamer: The problem is that I mounted the 3RZ a bit too low, and I am lucky that the 14"s bottom out before the drag link gets acquainted with the oil pan and the #1 connecting rod & crank. So before I can get any more up travel in the front end, I first need to raise the engine a bit..

Looking forward to Rubithon in two weeks!! Can't wait to see how she does!! One thing is for sure, I have NEVER been able to stuff the rear tires up towards the fenders, and now they nearly hit!! If it wasn't for the 1" body lift, I would have 35" tire to fender love going on :smooch: with nothing in the bed, unweighted! Hopefully with a bit more tweaking and adjusting, I can get it to that point :greengrin:

More to come

G'Night
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2006, 02:35:45 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki