Author Topic: V6/IFS solid axle brake upgrade ?'s  (Read 7267 times)

Denver83Toy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: V6/IFS solid axle brake upgrade ?'s
« on: Apr 01, 2006, 07:13:23 AM »
Will the Larger Master Cylinder also 'mount right up - bolt right in' place of the stock one in an '85?
Even though the stock one is fine... is it no biggie to upgrade - replace the Master Cylinder while we're at it, too?

Yes, the master will bolt right in, however...

Having done this upgrade as a result of the answers in this thread  (Thanks for all your help everyone!) and other research, I would recommend _not_ upgrading the master cylinder until/unless you also upgrade the rear brakes to disks.  Together, even the four-large-cylinder type calipers (sold by Marlin) and the stock rear drums do not take enough fluid to work well with a 1" master cylinder.  A bigger master cylinder actually hurts overall braking unless it's matched with appropriate calipers/drums.

I pulled the MC and booster out of a '97 T100 4wd expecting to use both.  Ultimately, the T100 boster was enough bigger in diameter that it interfered with the steering shaft (and, to a lesser extent, with the clutch master), so I went back to the stock booster.  I'm going back to the stock size MC as well.  The pedal position is good - there's no question about it going to the floor - but the braking effort currently is much more than it was.  I really have to stomp on the pedal to lock the fronts up, enough that I would be nervous letting my wife drive the truck.  I was counting on the additional boost from the larger, dual diaphram booster to compensate for this.

It's simple enough to change out a master later; try the caliper swap first and see how the pedal feels.  I think you'll be happy, have better overall brakes, and have more $'s for something else.  My $0.02.