Author Topic: Hard to shift after adding gear oil?  (Read 9490 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Hard to shift after adding gear oil?
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:14:52 AM »
Ooh, also I know, at least with a toyota trans, if you were to lift the rear of the trans a couple inches  (i.e. tilting up the rear of the trans), the shifter bushings and linkage wouldn't be getting any oil because that stuff would be higher than the oil level now.  If your 'Migo trans has the shifter at the back of the trans, this will be the same type of problem.

That's what I thought, that's why I added fluid

It's the gasket, when you took the shifter out did you replace the gasket, or did you just goober it up with silicon and maybe you did both? I did this with my Samurai and it wouldn't shift at all until I went to Suzuki and bought their gasket and used just the gasket with no RTV. Overfilling should not matter and would only spit out the vent until it leveled off when the trans gets hot. In some owners manuals it suggests overfilling the trans and t-case when flat towing to save the bearings and seals.

About the only other thing I can think of besides the gasket is you mis-aliged a shift rod when you pulled the shifter and it is now kinda stuck between gears and another thought would be is, was there a rubber bushing inside the shifter that seats in the top of the trans, if it was worn you may now have the shifter too deep in the trans so it is binding up.

Rs, there wasnt a gasket when I pulled the shifter :headscratch: There was a little gunk from the shifter boot deteriorating a little bit, but there was no gasket. I pulled the shifter out when it was in N, and I put it bac in in N :dunno: And it's not every time I shift, just sometimes :headscratch:

Thanks guys for your input :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -