Author Topic: L52 hard to shift, gears not meshing easily  (Read 1536 times)

83rustbucket

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
L52 hard to shift, gears not meshing easily
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »
So I messed up the original L52 in my truck and don't feel like rebuilding it or going to a G or W series just yet... I bought a used rebuilt L52 that supposedly worked great before it was pulled and I assume that I was not lied to. Whenever I shift gears, up or down, they seem to "grab" a little. I can feel it in the shifter and it is a very unpleasant thing, I know I'm shaving off little bits of the gears each time I shift, no matter how carefully. my old trans had worn sychros so I am used to shifting carefully and at the right time. Regardless, I changed the oil recently and still found metal shavings on the drain plug so I know I'm doing damage.

This makes me wonder, if the transmission was supposedly good, but acts similar to my old one, what else could be the culprit? I reused my old transfer case, but don't see how that could affect anything. I install a new aisin clutch, pilot bearing and release bearing. resurfaced flywheel. The bottom shifter bushing was worn or missing (can't remember) so I pulled it out of my parts truck. One thing I noticed is that the clutch kit did not come with new spring clips for the release bearing fork and they fit on very loose. I'm worried maybe one fell off but I haven't had time to pull the trans and inspect. One thing I notice is that if I wait a second or two with the clutch pedal engaged it becomes a little easier to shift, like my spin down time is not correct. My idle speed is at 700 or so which is correct for this engine. I replaced my clutch slave cylinder a few years ago because it dumped, and recently replaced the master cylinder when it started leaking. Neither replacement had any effect on shift quality. I am fairly sure that I bled the system properly both times.

any thoughts or ideas for what to else to look at?
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2015, 07:58:42 PM by 83rustbucket »

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
Re: L52 hard to shift, gears not meshing easily
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »
Clutch engagement sounds like. Pedal might need to be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

83rustbucket [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
Thanks, I've checked the pedal travel, seems to be within spec, and verified that the clutch fork is operating properly, from what I can tell. I guess its time to look closer at the hydraulic system or remove the tranny and inspect my clutch install. I'm leaning toward a misaligned throwout bearing and/or problems with the shift fork bearing retainer clips...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:46:10 PM »
not to sound like a jackass but you are pushing the clutch all the way down when you shift?
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way