Author Topic: Not Starting...Relay?  (Read 8470 times)

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Re: Not Starting...Relay?
« on: Sep 28, 2005, 03:33:43 AM »
Is that a Toyota factory ECU? There is nothing in there that clicks..

Clicking when the key goes from both ACC to ON, and from ON to START positions are perfectly normal since relays are used to handle and split larger amperage loads to the various circuits on your truck.

That clicking noise has been there the whole time, but because the buzzer is on (when going from ACC to ON) or the starter is engaging (when going from ON to START), you just never heard them.

If it's a quiet click that can only be heard within about 5 feet from the truck, then that clicking is normal, it is just the relays working, and the starter is not getting any voltage at all, or it is completely junk.

BigMike

With my buddy turning the ignition it took about half a second to figure out it wasn't my ECU clicking. Instead it was a big Circuit breaker mounted above the ECU :qtip:  :_oops:  I never knew it was there, but we also found the same Circuit Breaker in a 3rd gen as-well for anyone else that doesn't know it's there.

We found bad fuses and a blown relay (not the starter relay) and went to Kragen to get new stuff and brought the starter for testing. Every stater I have had made some complaints before it bit the dust. Not this one, but it was cooked none the less.

Warrantied the starter, replaced the fuses and relay, replaced all the corroded and frayed wiring we could find and ripped out about 10 lbs. of rat-nest wiring the previous owner put in.

Theres your fix guys. Thanks for everyone's posts except Justachillin2's...buy a jeep? :slap:

-John